• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm pretty new to the AR-15 and I notice that seating mags is hit or miss on my Anderson AR. I use Pmags and D&H metal mags, all 30 rounders, and none of them seat reliably. What are the issues that can cause mags to not seat properly? I've tried loading down to 28 rounds and that doesn't seem to help. At very best it's a 50/50 proposition and I just can't believe that things are right with that failure rate.

I'd appreciate some of you with more experience helping me out with possible issues and solutions since this is driving me BAT SHIT CRAZY!!!!!

Due to my lack of experience I may not have the answer to questions about the rifle itself and I might have to dig and explore to get needed info, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to that as a learning exercise.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Will the mags saet properly,and with ease,with the action locked open ??
    With the action open is there quite a bit of wobble/play to the mags ??
    I know that this is not the definitive answer to your problem but I have switched to all MagPul brand for both 308 snd 223/5.56. Seems to me that they seat tighter,with less play,are easier to load,and DEFINATLEY easier to unload.
    Wish they made them for the "normal" 6.8SPC's. In fact,a 10rd, 223/5.56 MagPul WILL take 5-6 rds of 6.8 and still feed with no problem. But more rds than that,the mag gets hard to seat because it starts to bow. --- SAWMAN

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have to agree with Sawman. I have a few metal magazines and none of then fit as well as my Magpuls. I figured the metal ones were more apt to warp or twist and not fit quite as well.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    USGI mags have been seating in quality lowers for more than 50 years. I'd look at the lower and the mag catch if they aren't seating properly. If they are hard to seat with the bolt closed download two if needed. I haven't found it to be needed on my guns.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A friend had his to start not locking the mags in as it once did. He replaced the mag release and spring, and the mags snapped in. If your ar is an old one or you've used it a lot, or maybe just a bad/weak spring or worn release, it may fix your problem.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Will the mags saet properly,and with ease,with the action locked open ??
    With the action open is there quite a bit of wobble/play to the mags ??
    I know that this is not the definitive answer to your problem but I have switched to all MagPul brand for both 308 snd 223/5.56. Seems to me that they seat tighter,with less play,are easier to load,and DEFINATLEY easier to unload.
    Wish they made them for the "normal" 6.8SPC's. In fact,a 10rd, 223/5.56 MagPul WILL take 5-6 rds of 6.8 and still feed with no problem. But more rds than that,the mag gets hard to seat because it starts to bow. --- SAWMAN

No they won't and that's what bothers me. I have tried about 6 or 8 of the Pmags, some older, some brand new, and they won't lock in with the bolt open or closed. Sounds like the mag catch idea might be on the right track.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    https://youtu.be/ULPnqN5Rv8g

No special tools needed to make sure the mag catch is installed/operating correctly.
    Maybe you can uninstall it and see if it is physically chipped/broken somehow.

If it is structurally intact, it might not be screwed in all the way.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    UPATE: I think I got it fixed with a lot of help from JJ! Seems the mag catch was a bit loose and he told me how to tighten it up, which appears to have solved the problem. Only problem now is that I have to get my wife to make some chocolate chip cookies to pay my bill to JJ!

Many thanks to all who offered an idea and help!

Top Bottom