• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, a friend of mine picked up a new Pt111 G2 from Academy yesterday. (paid 329 plus tax)
    This is supposed to be a new and improved version to replace the older PT line. The gun came with several nice features; thumb & trigger safety, round loaded indicator, super easy break down and 2 12 Rd Mags.
    I know there are several Taurus haters so I figured I'd share the results....very surprising...
    There were 3 of us which in return we took 3 pistols; M&P compact 9mm, Xd compact 3.8 barrel 9mm and the Pt111. We were all shooting 115gr Winchester Target Ammo and ran exactly 75rds out of each gun. (taking turns with each pistol we shot 25rds each out of each firearm) We shot paper targets at 15 yards free standing. I also must add that myself and one other guy are comparable shooters while the 3rd is prior law enformance and military - he has an advantage. (his gun was the M&P)
    These are a few facts noted in our test if you will:
    1.No failures out of the guns except the M&P (both failure to load)
    2.Recoil was also noted worse with the M&P, after 25rds - I was ready to change guns...
    3.Patterns at 15yrds were close very tight and comparable between the XD and Taurus
    (Tauras laid down a better pattern by the "professional" than he did with his own gun he has had for 1.5yrs)
    4.M&P accuracy was not to be desired at 15yards
    5.The trigger on the Tauras , well all I can say is Wow...very Glock like...Very Crisp and Clean.
    6.Out of us 3, 2 says they like the Trigger the best out of the 3 guns. (with the Xd mine, I voted Xd, lol)
    7.The M&P trigger, well sucks- it has a hinge they is a pain if you hold a pistol high on the grip.
    All and all it was a fun day-
    However, the odd thing to Add...after shooting the owner of the M&P listed and sold his pistol on Armslist. He called me while at Academy to inform me he was buying the new PT111 G2. I just laughed!!
    But- now I'm sitting here thinking about it and Hell, I want one too!!! It shot great, felt great, and was fun to use.
    Thoughts or comments?

beaux

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great to hear... I love the way the g2 feels in hand, We sell alot of them @ the shop I work at. The pt111 g2 will be my next 9.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Read some good things so I picked one up for $349 at Uber's the other day. I wasn't going to beat her up over $20 bucks seeing how Acadamey surely gets a volume discount and they kept me supplied with primers and powder during the craziness.

Took it out to the range today and I'm pretty dang impressed. It ate everything I fed it and shoots soft for a compact. I would say it's equal to my wife's Walther PPS in how it handles. I actually like it a little better because it fills my hands a little more and feels more secure. I like how they include a pinky extender on the stock mags which gives a perfect 3 finger grip for me. 12+1 and conceals just as easily as the PPS. I figured with a lifetime warranty why not give them a try at that price.

Not crazy about a safety for a carry gun but I will just leave it off. The trigger is great especially for a "cheap" polymer pistol. Is has a longish but very light pull and then a crisp clean break with a much shorter reset similar to a Glock. One interesting feature is that is has a second strike capability in the form of a heavier da pull. Accuracy was about what one expect for this type of gun and once again was on par with the PPS. It does have adjustable sights but I need to spend more time with it before I monkey around with them.

So far so good. I will probably add this to the carry rotation. It's more comfortable and concealable than a g19 while only giving up 3 rounds. If you like the way a PPS or XDs carries and handles but wish it had more round capacity this is worth checking out imo. It carries just a easily as the PPS for me and I don't notice the extra width.

Last edited:

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, good gun.
    I sold mine, missed it, bought another....300-500rds later zero issues.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I will venture to say that Taurus has a winner with this one. I would love to test drive the PT140 G2 if I can find one. Rumors are that a PT145 G2 is in the making.

And to the Taurus haters: Keep hating, it helps keep prices down for us Tauri fans. :thumb:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just over 2 years and 7 months later I saw one advertised for $275 with a $50 mail in rebate and I broke down and ordered one. 300+ rounds later an I definitely like the PT-111 G2 it fit's my hand well thanks to the pinky extension on the mag and it conceals easily. The only failure was due to user error because when I loaded the chamber before inserting the mag i didn't let the slide slam shut instead I eased it close which caused the slide to not return to battery. After it failed to fire I dropped the mag and pulled the slide back to see the extractor hadn't picked up the shell so I let it slingshot close reinserted the mag and then shot all 13 rounds without a problem. Waiting on the $50 rebate so I can spend it on reloading supplies.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep an eye out. Palmetto State Armory and others may run the sale again on this gun. $199 + shipping, FFL etc.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are going to be door busters at Cabelas on Black Friday. $199 out the door I believe. The closet store to you guys is in Gonzalez, LA but now there is one up in Hunstville for AL residents.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    one of my first pistols was the pt 111. sold it later to a friend cause i wanted something else. later tried to buy it back and she would not sell it back , had to go buy a new one.... still have it.

Texn8

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I now have over 1500 rnds thru my g2. After going through a half dozen concealed carry guns, I got to tell ya I love this gun. I have not had a ftf or a ft eject !!! I have had 2 bad primer strikes that fired on the second trigger pull. I also like it because of the trigger that everyone including Hickock45, hates. There is no doubt that you have to want to pull the trigger on this gun. I would carry a Glock if I were open carry/law enforcement, but I don't want that sensitive trigger when concealing . Plus, I like the saftey. This little gun rocks! It eats all the pracrice trash I feed it, including steel. I like it so much, I now own 3 of them, including the one my wife carries. I hade to have one for my bedside holster. You Glockenspiel snobs carry-on. I'll take my G2.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I now have over 1500 rnds thru my g2. After going through a half dozen concealed carry guns, I got to tell ya I love this gun. I have not had a ftf or a ft eject !!! . You Glockenspiel snobs carry-on. I'll take my G2.

Texn8, I feel the same way about my Pt111 G2. :thumb:

BTW, welcome to the forum.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wanted to buy one for my pa-n-law as he liked mine but every body has sold out
    Mine is my everyday carry and I also like the trigger because you won't accidentally pull it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slfree

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have had a TCP but swore off the 380, and now 709 Slim 9mm. Was pleased to see a real improvement in Taurus. Wanted a PT111 but they sold out all over Houston at Christmas. I think this lawsuit settlement will decide if Taurus will survive in America. They have a long way to go in customer service and quality. All my Tarui have been second hand.

Texn8

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Slfree,
    I'm sorry to hear about Taurus's service. I've not had an issue that I've had to deal with the factory. ....yet. Try the g2 and I can almost guarantee you'll like it.I have heard virtually nothing bad about this gun unlike some of the their other products). Seems we have a winner here. This shortage will pass. I buy my guns from Kentucky Gun Sales online. No sales tax and free shipping and they are very competitively priced, consistently cheaper than what I pay locally. You will have to pay an ffl transfer of $15 or so, but again cheap.I use Lone Star defense on Long Point in Houston. Their good folk.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own one and think it's a great little gun that is perfectly reliable for it's intended purpose. Good to see Taurus finally produce a gun that actually runs well out of the box though I'm still skeptical that it would hold up to serious training and high round counts though. They will not sell parts so once you wear out the recoil spring for example, fairly common and replaceable item in a Glock/M&P etc, you have to send the damn thing back for "warranty" repair.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad to see the good reviews on the PT111 G2 here and in many other places on the 'net. I've been thinking of getting one so this morning did some looking and found PSA has them on sale for $199.99. Couldn't pass that up so it's ordered now, can't wait to try it out. I also have a Taurus TCP and have several hundred rounds through it with not one problem, no jams of any kind, fires every time I pull the trigger. Easy to take apart for cleaning and very easily concealed. For it's intended purpose and price it's a great little gun. If the G2 is as problem free as the TCP I'll be very happy.
    If anyone else want's one at that price the sale ends tomorrow (1/18/16) at noon.
    Here's a link:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html

Top Bottom