• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Curious to hear from those who have done a full polish to glock guts and their expectations v. results. I completed a full polish to the trigger bar, connector, and safety plunger, focusing on the areas that have created wear patterns and connector and trigger bar relation. While I didnt have outlandish expectations, I can admit I didnt notice much if any felt difference, maybe a slight improvement in smoothness. But it seems as though its "all the rage" to polish glock internals and gain a significant improvement in trigger weight. I knew not to expect miracles, but I did expect to be able to feel some change.

To be fair, I havent used any verifiable methods of measuring trigger pull, no gauges, weights, etc. Just good ol' trigger finger scale.

I have also heard the gen 5 triggers are already better than those that came before, gen 1-4.

Other mods previously addressed were Ghost spring kit (safety plunger and striker spring) and Zev Pro Connector.

It is prettier!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you google "Glock $.25 trigger job it will show the parts to polish and where.
    It WILL make a difference in smoothness. Less gritty feeling. Install a 3.5# connector or a "-" connector and that will help even more.
    My Glock triggers are all about 4.5lbs but really feel like much more due to the takeup and overtravel. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Gs are unaltered; if you like natural redheads you often get freckles too. Lol. IMHO, you will never achive trigger/sear/ hammer polishing results on a Glock safe striker fired system, it's a different beast. You will get the equivalent accelerated suface wear smoothness, which has potential to enhance usability but is that going to equal grams, ounces or pounds on a trigger scale? "Polishing" the beast may reduce friction but contact angles and springs don't change. Its like greasing the fulcrum of a see-saw: you still have to apply 50+lbs to lift a 50lb kid. I don't know what/who's guidance you followed nor what they got from their efforts.

Sawman's Link is a good one, you may also like details provided in the Link below. It not only identifies what does what but adds a bit more specifics on contact points, contact angles, relationships and pros/con tradeoffs of changes and parts swaps.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/2012/01/01/make-your-stock-glock-rock/

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    to clarify, I didnt expect a polish job to reduce weight, but was hoping for enhancement in felt resistance. Where my results were incrementally better in smoothness, no noticeable felt resistance was made.

I did however notice a difference of weight in changing safety plunger spring and striker springs, including the Zev Pro connector. On a gen5, there are no lower springs to be changed

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you do extensive polishing and especially with after market parts make sure to verify your engagement surfaces. Use an armorer slide cover inspection plate to verify. Accidents often occur with glocks when the engagement is compromised.

glock engagement.JPG

Attachments

• glocktriggersafety__74084.1538146549.jpg
      glocktriggersafety__74084.1538146549.jpg
      1.8 KB · Views: 203
    • glock engagement.JPG
      glock engagement.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 264

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am setting my glocks up with RMRs and good trigger pulls help to make long range hits. Another goal is trying to improve the inherent accuracy of my glocks and I need to find information on how to achieve that.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you've already got a nice clean, new-ish mechanism, from a good quality
    manufacturer, polishing tends to do little.

If you've just purchased an older firearm, chances are that a Fluff & Buff
    will work wonders...usually because most folks don't clean their firearms
    anywhere near properly...many simply get a squirt of Hoppe's #9 now & then
    and no field or detail strips at all. So once you clean off all the old oil, grit,
    sludge, and other gunk in a mechanism, it'll work like a charm :)

cleaning.png

Attachments

• cleaning.png
      cleaning.png
      3.7 KB · Views: 295

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you've already got a nice clean, new-ish mechanism, from a good quality
    manufacturer, polishing tends to do little.

If you've just purchased an older firearm, chances are that a Fluff & Buff
    will work wonders...usually because most folks don't clean their firearms
    anywhere near properly...many simply get a squirt of Hoppe's #9 now & then
    and no field or detail strips at all. So once you clean off all the old oil, grit,
    sludge, and other gunk in a mechanism, it'll work like a charm :)

View attachment 71460
    Very often the triggers in glocks and some other guns get better with use. Of course ensuring that certain regions of a gun are clean may also help. Using the gun removes or smooths certain surfaces. Many guns do have a break in period which helps to improve reliability.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just recently bought a used 30S for CCW use . I plan to detail strip & clean then inspect parts for fitness & if needed replace as needed . Plan to replace all springs with std OEM also . After I run 500 rounds of ball thru her another strip & lube . I'm leery about aftermarket mods & decreased reliability . If I make any trigger mods it'll be with factory parts , but I plan to shoot it first .

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very often the triggers in glocks and some other guns get better with use. Of course ensuring that certain regions of a gun are clean may also help. Using the gun removes or smooths certain surfaces. Many guns do have a break in period which helps to improve reliability.

Amen!

Lots of folks will check out "Grandpaw's rifle" and it's butter smooth action...not realizing that it sure didn't come from the factory that way!! Many rounds and wear from use make a firearm butter-smooth if it's a good one!

Biggest thing I see in old guns sold both in the pawn shops & yard sales is folks simply don't clean worth diddly. I've bought guns from folks At The Range that were having problems with 'em, so I'd buy 'em as parts guns for others I have...then broke 'em down at home and discovered that the only thing wrong was failure to clean!

By the way, I'd also like to thank all those dummies that toss mags into the trash at the range...usually all they need is the mag lips adjusted since "Tactical Reloads" mean mags dropped on their lips...so a quick bendy means they're back in biz real fast! Occasionally a replacement spring or follower is needed...thank God for the Disposable Generation, because I've got functioning mags out the wazzoo!!

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For my Glock 30S I just polished all the internals , installed a minus connector & all new OEM springs . I did put a very light coat of Neco Moly Slide on all moving parts . I've used it for years on all my action work & it really does reduce friction well . I really like it on duty guns with full strength springs . A little bit on sear & hammer engagement surfaces can make a 5lb trigger feel like it's a couple of pounds less .

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will have to agree on using a nice lubricant, more specifically a nice grease. After I had polished and installed the internal components I wasnt blown away. I disassembled and rubbed some clp on and that didnt help much either. But then I cleaned everything again and used the Hoppes gun grease and MAN OH MAN!!! That made quite a bit of difference on the polished components. I didnt use much as much isnt needed, but it sure did make it feel slippery and smooth.

Cant wait to get back out to the range with this thing again!

Still doesnt beat the Powder River Precision trigger in my xdm, not even close! But then again, I've got maybe 1/8th of the money invested

Latest posts

Top Bottom