• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So I'm driving back from the shooting range...thinking about converting my 300 blackout pistol to an SBR. I go through all the pros and cons, but then it hits me..what if something happens to the lower, a catastrophic failure. I have an Aero lower and it has been solid for many a rounds so I am not too worried about it, but the paranoia hits me...what happens or what do I have to do. Is that just $200 down the drain for that SBR?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Easy answer, you're done. At this point, pistol is going to save a lot of hassle and money vs the sbr.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If there's a catastrophic failure, you'd be out the cost of the lower plus $200. As long as you aren't hurt, that's more important than $250 or so. I now have 18,114 rounds through my oldest SBR lower and 6465 through my other SBR lower. A little finish wear on the oldest and replaced the buffer spring at 16,000 rounds due to the spring length now being at the minimum.

Shoot lots and be happy.m16

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have several SBR's and that has never ever crossed my mind... Hell there lots of people that have thousands invested in transferable full autos and they shoot them to death. I don't think they worry about them blowing up

Agreed with Daezee. Shoot lots and be happy.m16

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It was a long ride from Santa Rosa Shooting Center and my house....just thinking too much...Logically thought that was the case.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How about this. Someone explain to me how a SBR,and everything involved before and after,is mo-bedda than a AR pistol. (There is no surpressor in my future)
    I have been contemplating a SBR for some time but just can't justify it. (so far)
    NOTE: Not trying to start any tongue fights and hoping that we are gen-teel with one another. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How about this. Someone explain to me how a SBR,and everything involved before and after,is mo-bedda than a AR pistol. (There is no surpressor in my future)
    I have been contemplating a SBR for some time but just can't justify it. (so far)
    NOTE: Not trying to start any tongue fights and hoping that we are gen-teel with one another. --- SAWMAN
    In the AR platform, it's not...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MarkADill

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Multiple variables ultimately being personal preference. I converted my Sig MPX in 9mm from pistol to SBR purely because I preferred the feel, appearance and function of an actual stock in a firearm that did not meet the required minimum length for a rifle. Caliber is a big one for me. In 5.56 shortening a barrel much past 16” just isn’t worth it “to me” so I’d never prefer a “pistol” in that caliber. More flash, less gas to function, not “friendly” enough “for me” to shoot. In .300 Blackout heck yeah though. That performs well in a shortened barrel and that allows an actual stock on an “AR pistol” for ease of use and much better appearance. YMMV. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Two words:

Actual Stock

Three words:

Chicks Dig It

One word:

Tacticool

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For me . . . IF a SBR,it would most likely come in a bolt gun. Considered a single shot (T/C,NEF,etc) but with the bbl cut back to 16.5inches and the LOP reduced to <13 inches they are a pretty short/compact weapon anyway.
    Not really looking to "gain" much from this except compactness. I also understand the reduced vels of the shorter bbls. The bolt gun would most likely be a short action. Will scan thru the different chamberings in the near future but 308Win comes to mind,or possibly something "off" that case.
    A somewhat larger bore would be interesting also. There . . . a 444Marlin or 45-70 would interest me. Also a 375JDJ or another semi-wildcat. This,given the ease of severely reduced loads using H4895.
    The length of bbl would matter somewhat depending on what chambering I would choose. Gotta think some on this one. I hate that !! --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have been kicking around the idea of SBRing my Scar heavy.... a 13" 308 is very nice.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If my SBR ever blew up, got stolen, etc. I wouldn't be pissed about being out 200 bucks, I'd be pissed about having to wait for the ATF to approve my new stamp

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    SBR lets you do whatever you want.... until you want to cross state lines. With the latest brace offerings, you get just about all the functionality of a stock without the cost, wait and administrative hassle of an SBR. The only issues I see with the pistol are the small decrease in function over a stock, unclear rules about configuration (lop, aow etc) and the possibility of the ATF redefining their "opinion"

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Has anyone (I have not) tried any of the adjustable pistol braces ?? I have a couple lowers with the KAK blade type of tube/stock affair on it,but talkin' the ones that are quickly adjustable by the push of a button or flip of a lever/switch.
    Those on a 10.5-12.5" bbl'ed upper would be my preferance for a AR pistol. In a bolt or single shot I would prefer a hard stock with a short LOP. 12.0-12.75 would most likely be my choice. --- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like the kak because they're cheap and light. Strike just released their version that's a bit sleeker and has an integrated a qd socket. The gen 2 from kak is adjustable on the fly but I don't mind the lack of it on the pistols I've got setup. I stick with the lower recoiling rds for the kak blades.

The adjustable are nice. The sba3 has been good but the flexible bottom isn't as stable as the kak, but the bigger foot print is more comfortable to shoot. I've not been a huge fan of the boot style(sbx, m4 style) because of the bulk/ looks. The latest m4 style from an looks interesting but I'd need to see how wide it is. Sig just released their rotating brace Thursday looks pretty slick but isn't ar compatible.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If I was pondering on making another AR short barrel I agree with Little Jack there is alot of good options out there not to do a From 1 Class 3 and just keep it a pistol. But there are also builds that you just have to do an SBR or it's gonna look like total SH$$$ and if those old ugly braces where the only thing avab then I would SBR everything.

Such as this vvv you have to admit it's just butt ugly and I no longer own it. :)

q4TKF93.jpg

Here is that same AR9 with the kak blade on it. Looks better but still kinda ugly...

nvLD3Ye.jpg

Here is a pic of my only SBR'd AR in 300 BO 10.5" Barrel. Would I do it again. NOPE!

kPLUfxq.jpg

I would not do an AR SBR Tax Stamp because this kind of stuff it avab. Looks as sexy as my SBR'd AR 300 BO

The Tailhook Mod 2 on .223 AR 10.5"

DaGnRnq.jpg

Now some examples of builds I have done and I would never ever put an ugly brace on them (They are avab though) These are all Tax Stamp items!

kla9dZK.jpg

uLEsZCg.jpg

qOuuTLK.jpg

WwjfDx1.jpg

Ok and go a step further... No brace or SBR. Here is my keltec CMR30 has a collapsible stock still 16" barrel but just changed some things to look like an SBR and Suppressed. Fake Can.

yFBpuOl.jpg

Then there is the NFA Machine Gun does not matter short barrel or not. It's a Transferable SMG.

SaPidms.jpg

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I did just do paperwork on a SBS 870 that looks wayyyy better than those butt plug lookin pistol grips they're putting on shotguns these days.

For most ARs, a pistol brace is fine, unless it's something high end, there's no point in SBRing it...

Like kendive said though, a few guns out there it'd be almost sacrilegious to put a brace on it. (Mp5/scar/etc)

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    DSCN3617.JPG

Adjustable Tailhook brace. Quickly adjustable in 2-3 seconds. Push in the small rectangular piece in the middle of the picture and adjust length. Tighten the serrated screw to the left of it to lock in the length of the brace.

DSCN3618.JPG

The top piece is adjustable for two height positions (but that part might be unique to the Robinson Armament use of the Tailhook brace on their XCR-L pistols). Pull it back and slide forward in the height groove desired.

Attachments

• DSCN3617.JPG
      DSCN3617.JPG
      55 KB · Views: 238
    • DSCN3618.JPG
      DSCN3618.JPG
      48.9 KB · Views: 233

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The XCRs look good with the tail hooks. I need to put something on the brace so it stops scratching up the lower when it's folded

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you really NEED an SBR, chances are it's TETOWAKI,
    under that circumstance the BATF is the LEAST of your worries...
    SBR's wouldn't be my go-to...
    I'd be looking for battle-dropped full auto party favors like the 240B ;)

But heck, go with whatever makes ya happy!
    Burt.jpg

Attachments

• Burt.jpg
      Burt.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 231
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom