• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, just like the title asks...what is the REAL reason for the steel cable barriers on I-65, I-10, etc...?
    I expect the first response to be "to keep vehicles from doing U-turns." Duh...but why now? Is there a 'hidden' agenda/reason for this? I suspect something sinister. Put on your tin foil fedora and chime in.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Tin foil hat firmly in place, along with the steel cables we’ve also got big brother watching with cameras that give seamless coverage. The cameras are just monitoring traffic “right”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonesouth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They actually work really well to keep vehicles from crossing even at 70mph. They do work beyond preventing u-turns.

Last edited:

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There were a lot of questions about the cables a few years ago, mostly from the motorcycle community. These cable barriers are awful if you're on a bike and and hit one. I saw more than one reference to "cheese slicer". Supposedly the cost to install, maintain, and repair the cables is a small fraction of the cost of a solid barrier.

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Cables or Armco barrier will slice you in half. K rails aren't used everywhere but they need to be. Cost a fortune.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cables or Armco barrier will slice you in half. K rails aren't used everywhere but they need to be. Cost a fortune.

Likely safer if your vehicle is high like a 4-whell drive F150 would be rather than a sports car if you end up hitting one of those cable barriers.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Cables are probably the cheapest option for keeping traffic flowing in opposite directions separated

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ^^^ yup ^^^, I've been 100+ mph wb and west of 65, and police going east just flipping me off. no way for them to turn around to chase. :lol:

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Seems to me the barrier/separator is a solution in search of a problem. I'm not aware of there being so many interstate crashes from automobiles crossing the median that a 'safe' solution is needed. However, I can sense, but not quite picture a scenario where the barriers would benefit a benevolent big brother's attempt in some crowd herding/controlling endeavor....all legal, constitutional, and for our own good, of course. I'm gonna loosen the hat band of my tin foil sombrero and try to fall in line here.

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought physical barriers were immoral.........

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems to me the barrier/separator is a solution in search of a problem. I'm not aware of there being so many interstate crashes from automobiles crossing the median that a 'safe' solution is needed. However, I can sense, but not quite picture a scenario where the barriers would benefit a benevolent big brother's attempt in some crowd herding/controlling endeavor....all legal, constitutional, and for our own good, of course. I'm gonna loosen the hat band of my tin foil sombrero and try to fall in line here.
    Vehicles have crossed lanes including heavy vehicles. But the intent is more to keep people from running off the shoulder, especially on bridges.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    worse than the cable barriers are the large, too large to climb, concrete walls between Escambia River and Davis Hwy. All done for "noise" yet the people live in the line of airport runways. Seems a good place to usher people in without the ability to get out.

Maybe I just watched too much Walking Dead back in the day.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Vehicles have crossed lanes including heavy vehicles. But the intent is more to keep people from running off the shoulder, especially on bridges.

I think you missed the mark on this one. No way cable barriers in the middle of a median keep people from running off the shoulder. They'd be 15yds off the shoulder to contact the cable barriers.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think you missed the mark on this one. No way cable barriers in the middle of a median keep people from running off the shoulder. They'd be 15yds off the shoulder to contact the cable barriers.
    But those on the edges of bridges are so intended to keep people from running of the shoulder of the bridge.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    One man with a cutting torch could put an end to the cable barriers should the need arise. The concrete barriers would be a lot harder to eliminate

Latest posts

Top Bottom