• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone had good experiences with deals online for ammo? If so, which sites do you recommend? Looking at getting some bulk 9mm and .22LR ammo for plinking, and it's gotten difficult to find 124gr and 147gr target ammo for my 9mm. My CZ-P07 can drive tacks with the heavier rounds, but not so much with the 115gr that I find in abundance. My Ruger mk 3 22/45 much prefers CCI to anything else that I've put through it, and trying to find good deals locally on CCI .22LR SV has been hard. Mini-Mags I can get for good prices locally, but the SV rounds are more accurate for me.
    I appreciate your input, and if this thread is in the wrong forum page, I apologize.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks FrommerStop. SGAmmo seems to be the better of the two for what I'm looking for on 9mm. I appreciate the input. Now, to convince the wife that I need a thousands rounds each of 124gr and 147gr ball ammo because it's for scientific testing.... I'll get her some good .22LR and she'll at least go shoot with me. She likes shooting my Ruger 22/45 at least.

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I go to gunbot.net. Its a search engine of sorts that shows the prices, per bullet, from various online retailers. It also provides you a link to the website. I don't get ammo anywhere else.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    don't forget ammoseek.com or bulkammo.com.... I've found them all to be withing 10 -20 dollars of each other when ordering 1K rounds...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always figure your shipping when calculating the final price. Also I like dealing with people that I know from past dealings have worked for me. People have complained about Eric over at Ammoman, but I have been buying for years so far without a problem on their end. Often you can get fed ex and UPS to leave the shipment at a shipping point where ID is needed to retrieve it. Rather then have expensive stuff sitting out in the street next to the mail box, picking it up at secure locations works better for me.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I've never had an issue with PSA. Their 9mm has a dollar rebate per box. Free ship on a case.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its a good idea to register with some of these sites to take advantage of sales and shipping specials. LAX and Freedom munitions are really good sites for ammo too. Nice thing about .22 ammo it doesn't cost a bunch to build up a nice stash...been adding to mine and will continue to do so. Funny thing about 22 ammo in that when I decided I'm going to a little shooting, it is never a little shooting...often 100-300 rounds at a time, especially if I have guests over...just go through it so fast!

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have that problem, and my rifles aren't picky at all. They'll chew the bulk ammo like it's match grade. My mk 3 just loves CCI for some reason. It shoots the bulk stuff without a problem, but the CCI SV ammo it shoots exceptionally well. Granted, I haven't splurged on any high end match ammo for it, and I haven't shot competitively since the late 90s, so it's all plinking. But there's definitely satisfaction when you make single jagged holes in paper or draw faces on a silhouette.
    I've just gotten my wife into shooting after 8 years of trying, and that's a pistol she shoots really well, and when she hits where she wants, she gets all happy about it. Happy wife means more range time for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have that problem, and my rifles aren't picky at all. They'll chew the bulk ammo like it's match grade. My mk 3 just loves CCI for some reason. It shoots the bulk stuff without a problem, but the CCI SV ammo it shoots exceptionally well. Granted, I haven't splurged on any high end match ammo for it, and I haven't shot competitively since the late 90s, so it's all plinking. But there's definitely satisfaction when you make single jagged holes in paper or draw faces on a silhouette.
    I've just gotten my wife into shooting after 8 years of trying, and that's a pistol she shoots really well, and when she hits where she wants, she gets all happy about it. Happy wife means more range time for me.

The AGUILA .22 ammo standard velocity that I use is low cost, but likely better then the american brands since it is made IIRC on Eley equipment and this is important relative to priming. Misfires are extremely uncommon with it so far in my experience and I am using it for informal bullseye pistol shooting. IMO it is just as good as the CCI standard velocity and a bit cheaper since I guess mexican labor is cheaper than it would be in the USA or europe. For pest control I use the segmented quiet CCI .22 in a 24 inch barrel CA452. I see that the factory makes a 28 inch barrel version or did make it and that would really be quiet. One brick will last me for years since it is only used to kill things and not for plinking.
    cz452.jpg

Attachments

• cz452.jpg
      cz452.jpg
      2.4 KB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Is there aquilla ammo clean or is it as nasty as the Remington or Winchester rimfire ammo? I like the CCI ammo and federal because it doesn't seem to be as dirty after a few hundred rounds. The thunderbolt ammo is the worst.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there aquilla ammo clean or is it as nasty as the Remington or Winchester rimfire ammo? I like the CCI ammo and federal because it doesn't seem to be as dirty after a few hundred rounds. The thunderbolt ammo is the worst.

I am not firing large amounts of it at once, 90 rounds max so I can not be sure as to how dirty it is. Does not seem any dirty than the federal that I am using. Anyway I think you would be more interested in the HV loads since such loads generally function better and they would likely use a different powder and lubricant.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The other nice thing about Aguila standard velocity is that it is sub-sonic for those who shoot suppressors...really close to the sound barrier, but in my M&P AR15-22, there is no crack...only the sweet sound of ringing steel! In my own "poor man's" accuracy testing, Aguila usually out-shoots, in terms of group size, any other name brand ammo of the standard/high velocity type...I'm talking CCI, Winchester, Federal and Remington.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    CCI SV is subsonic as well, which is more accurate out of pistols. When a round leaves the barrel at barely over Sonic speeds it goes subsonic quickly which causes turbulence and decreases accuracy. Mini mags are awesome in my rifles but SV better in my pistols. I'll give the aquilla a shot. It's easily available at academy so I'll grab a couple boxes.

flphotog

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you buy by the case targetsportsusa works well and the shipping is normally free. However I'm finding that I can get pretty much the same price locally these days and don't have to buy a full case if I don't want it, and don't have to wait for shipping.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you buy by the case targetsportsusa works well and the shipping is normally free. However I'm finding that I can get pretty much the same price locally these days and don't have to buy a full case if I don't want it, and don't have to wait for shipping.
    Can you say where. I am looking for less than 4 cents a round for this we need to factor sales tax into the final cost. Academy and Wally World used to be best pricing around, but wally world does not sell aguila ammo last time I checked,

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is the site I use to find ammo as they give shipping cost. The site says it's estimated shipping but so far it has been accurate. I put in the zip code for Pace as it was showing my zip code for Baker but it's easy to change just click on the change link.

http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/.22+LR

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.laxammo.com/aguila-22-lr-40-gr-lead-standard-velocity-500-rounds-detail

$14.25/500 and looks to be available still...that shipping though....ouch!
    I checked the site and what they are doing is making up for the low round price by over charging for the shipping. this is quite common as a hidden cost for a lot of internet ordering.
    One reason I like buying from ebay is that the shipping is often low or free.

Top Bottom