• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am looking at buying or potentially building a double stack 1911/2011 in 9mm but am looking for some helpful insight first. I have a lot of experience with Armscor/Rock Island double stacks but they are quite large and very squarish. I have shot an STI 2011 Marauder a little but am not necessarily a fan of the polymer grip. I really like the idea of a double stack Caspian recon frame but have zero experience with Caspians. Does anyone here have a double stack Caspian that can give their thoughts on how the grip feels versus either an STI or a Rock Island? I prefer a metal frame over polymer when possible. Are there any recommended 1911 gunsmiths or builders local to the area that I might be able to talk to if I go the route of building my own? Also, for any of those with a Caspian frame, how many rounds do the magazines hold? I assume they have flush fit magazines? I haven't been able to find hardly any information regarding 9mm double stack Caspian magazines which if mags are hard to get may push me towards an STI. Just looking for any information that may help in this venture. Thanks

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've owned at least 10 different 2011's, so hopefully I can help you out.

STI or some other "true" (read: modular) 2011 is your best bet, especially as far as reliability and magazines are concerned. There are several companies that make steel and aluminum grips for 2011's (Phoenix Trinity, Limcat, Cheely), but they're going to increase the cost quite a bit. I think Cheely aluminum is the cheapest option and it costs $500+ just for the grip.

Tuning magazines, or buying them pre-tuned is likely to be required with a true 2011, especially when shooting 9mm (unless you're going to load them long).

If you do go with a Caspian frame, MBX makes mags, but they're not cheap: https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=CaspianMags

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, the huge cost of Caspian mags is the reason it'll wait until I hit the lottery ;)

Might a melt job on a Rock Island do the trick?
    They're inexpensive enough that having work done still keeps the price right.

Oh, there's a nice Para Ord at Interstate Pawn on Olive Road in Pensacola...
    if you want to see if the feel of one of those would work for you.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I really appreciate the help from you all. I'm thinking an STI 2011 is probably the way to go. I really like the idea of a Caspian frame but it is almost impossible to find any information regarding magazines for them. I have an Armscor widebody (before they made the Rock Island one) and I like it but the grip is just a little big for my liking which is why I wanted to see what other options I had. Now to see if I can justify a nice 2011 for myself!

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really appreciate the help from you all. I'm thinking an STI 2011 is probably the way to go. I really like the idea of a Caspian frame but it is almost impossible to find any information regarding magazines for them. I have an Armscor widebody (before they made the Rock Island one) and I like it but the grip is just a little big for my liking which is why I wanted to see what other options I had. Now to see if I can justify a nice 2011 for myself!

Oh, there's also that Tactical place South of I-10 in Crestucky that has a Wide assortment of grips...
    might be able to find a slimline set that would make your grip problem with the Armscor
    a lot less of a headache :)

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Realize this is a bit late and you have probably moved on with your decision but I happen to have a Caspian high cap with both a 45acp, 38super and 9mm configuration. If you're still interested in this setup feel free to contact me 850-324-3004.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's never too late when good firearms are involved! Appreciate you reaching out.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Realize this is a bit late and you have probably moved on with your decision but I happen to have a Caspian high cap with both a 45acp, 38super and 9mm configuration. If you're still interested in this setup feel free to contact me 850-324-3004.

Need pics, by cracky!

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The gun is over 20 years old and built on a early model kit, meaning the grip sides had to have plates welded in due to durability problems in the early generation. It was built originally as a 45 with a Colt slide and a STI bull barrel to compete in USPSA L-10 division, the mags are ProMags with an unknown plus 2 base plate for a total of 12 rounds of pure joy.
    The 38Super happened about 5 years ago when someone happened to have a complete slide assembly with the correct feed ramp barrel for cheap on eBay, I couldn't resist. I found factory mags from the shop that originally built the gun and away we go. The cost of Super brass pushed me to get a 9mm barrel fitted to the slide a couple of years ago. The mags work for both calibers without any problem, 18 rounds if memory serves. What else would you like to know?
    IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Para Ordnance is now owned by Remington

Remington brought out Para Ordnance and they promptly discontinued the brand. Sarco and other parts companies now sell the left over inventory of parts.
    For me it is just the opposite. The P14 I find to be clumsy for one handed use. Two handed grip is fine. My hands are normal large size male hands with shorter than average fingers. Upclose combat requires that the off hand be free for other vital tasks than just helping to support the gun.
    I know of other saying the same. I have no problem with glocks.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking at buying or potentially building a double stack 1911/2011 in 9mm but am looking for some helpful insight first. I have a lot of experience with Armscor/Rock Island double stacks but they are quite large and very squarish. I have shot an STI 2011 Marauder a little but am not necessarily a fan of the polymer grip. I really like the idea of a double stack Caspian recon frame but have zero experience with Caspians. Does anyone here have a double stack Caspian that can give their thoughts on how the grip feels versus either an STI or a Rock Island? I prefer a metal frame over polymer when possible. Are there any recommended 1911 gunsmiths or builders local to the area that I might be able to talk to if I go the route of building my own? Also, for any of those with a Caspian frame, how many rounds do the magazines hold? I assume they have flush fit magazines? I haven't been able to find hardly any information regarding 9mm double stack Caspian magazines which if mags are hard to get may push me towards an STI. Just looking for any information that may help in this venture. Thanks

And it might not be your cup o' tea...but there is another double stack .45acp/45-super option...
    Star Megastar 45.
    They are...drool-worthy. Especially after you've shot one...
    Can fire either .45acp or super with no changes.

450px-Star_Megastar.jpg

megaBrochure2-L.jpg

megaBrochure3-L.jpg

megaBrochure4-L.jpg

Now here's the catch, the only pistol bigger...is a DEagle.
    Large hands are highly suggested. Be able to palm a basketball.
    It's a Meaty rascal...but due to that and the way its designed it soaks recoil like
    literally nothing else...it is a PLEASURE to shoot .45-Super from it.
    .45ACP +P ammo doesn't even make it work hard.
    And yeah, I know the literature doesn't even mention the .45-Super capability...
    but its there :)

If ya want a pistol that'll make you want to smoke a cigarette after firing,
    and ya ain't even a smoker...this is the one!!
    Wish they still made 'em :D

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If ya want a pistol that'll make you want to smoke a cigarette after firing,
    and ya ain't even a smoker...this is the one!!
    Wish they still made 'em :D

Haha! That is an awesome looking handgun. I'll definitely be keeping my eye open. Mostly because I love interesting firearms and this seems to fit the bill! Not really what I was expecting to be looking for but will be now.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haha! That is an awesome looking handgun. I'll definitely be keeping my eye open. Mostly because I love interesting firearms and this seems to fit the bill! Not really what I was expecting to be looking for but will be now.

Actually sold myself on it again & I bought another one....Starvel this time :)

GEDC0013.JPG

A little polish makes it shine :D
    The perfect BBQ pistol!!
    megastar_45.jpg

Now I've gotta find a 10mm version in Starvel...that's gonna cost me a few bucks!!
    Probably use the next Stimulus for the purpose...
    14449773_1220674074630087_7236374937056683467_n.jpg

Top Bottom