• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Didn't see a better place to put this..

Someone I know brought me a Brazilian made 12ga that was covered in rust. I found me 4-5 pennies older than 1982 and started to work on it.

Before
    IMG_2279.jpg

I worked on it a little using some left over honing oil for my shotgun bore hone
    IMG_2280.jpg

First pass did so so I started another round in the same spot.
    IMG_2281.jpg

First section completed the entire first pass.
    IMG_2284.jpg

The bore is in almost as bad a shape with one real bad spot. Like I said I do have a bore and forcing cone hone. Lets see how the outside turns out.

This just might wear out a penny.
    IMG_2292.jpg IMG_2293.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2279.jpg
      IMG_2279.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 371
    • IMG_2280.jpg
      IMG_2280.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 392
    • IMG_2281.jpg
      IMG_2281.jpg
      35.5 KB · Views: 353
    • IMG_2284.jpg
      IMG_2284.jpg
      23.8 KB · Views: 390
    • IMG_2292.jpg
      IMG_2292.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 388
    • IMG_2293.jpg
      IMG_2293.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 387

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The COPPER penny takes the rust off. It is soft enough not to hurt (at least too much) the finish (bluing) of the gun.
    After this process you rub an American gold eagle on it OR . . . just give the coin to the gunsmith to reblue. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    correct...pennies prior to 1982 are all COPPER as SAWMAN says. The goal of this is not to refinish the gun but to stop further deterioration of it. Copper scrub pads are also available if you choose to use them. As you can see the penny is taking a good beating. I think steel wool would be unusable in this case at this point...it would shred pretty quickly. I have never been real fond of steel wool on blued surfaces...seems like my hand pressure no matter what it is, is too heavy.

The oil I am using is a little on the heavy side compared to say Kroil or other gun oils.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Interesting. So you just use oil and rub with the face of the penny?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes Sir...I admitted to being heavy handed...I use both sides of the penny :D don't want to leave one side slighted...sorry..and one finger to rub.

I had heard good things about this method from several places and ran across a candidate to try it on.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wondering if you could use a piece of copper pipe. Is it "pure" enough copper ??
    Maybe copper flashing ?? Pure copper is soft. If you got a thin square piece of it,you could pretty much make it conform to the shape of the project. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I have used very fine stainless steel wool along with liberal amounts of WD-40 or Break Free CLP. It does a so-so job.I would never do this to an higher end gun though.
    I did this to an older NEF Handi Rifle chambered in 45-70. The gun had been used and abused by an older trapper friend of mine. He told me that he did not care what I did to the gun as long as he could get "a few more years out of it".
    I did not have anything to coat it with so I just told him to keep it well oiled.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i would think a piece of copper tubing or pipe would work about the same as a penny. I'm not so sure the idea is to conform to the project as it is to knock the really high uneven surface down to smooth. Once the majority of the high stuff was knocked down a Chore Boy could finish up the job nicely I think.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    While I am thinking about it..as soon as I see a good amount of rust in the oil I wipe and reapply...I think if you rubbed it long with the rust in the oil it would act as an abrasive on the bluing that is still good.

Dutch

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wow! This is good information. Learn something new every day. Guess an old dog “can” learn new tricks

Top Bottom