• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So my passengers side headlight kept going on and off depending on how the housing was turned and or touched so I took it to a local shop and they fixed the issue. Next day the battery was dead so the shop brought me a new one. Two days later that new one was dead. I want a new shop as it is my belief this issue was caused by the shop who "fixed" the headlight. Any help is sure appreciated GCGF.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    seems they may have caused a dead ground, maybe grounded a hot wire, or pinched a hot wire causing a ground, but before pointing blame, it could be the alternator not putting the amps out to keep the battery charged. since this would be the easiest check, run it up to auto-zone, o'reilly's or advanced auto and have them to test the charging system, it's free. otherwise, something is wired direct to battery draining it, maybe an aftermarket radio, or radar detector, or like above, a dead ground?

* could even be a slack/loose serpentine belt, that'll cause the alternator not to charge the battery.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks so much bud. Radio is factory and I have nothing wired direct to the battery. It is stone dead and I have to use the key to open the door. Whatever shop I go to it will have to be towed.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dang brother, I can come by and jump it off for you, or loan you my battery charger. I'd seriously run it down to have the charging system checked Before I took it to a shop ($$$).

I can bring you a new battery too to borrow to get it to auto zone, etc, if you want. I just replaced a 10yr old battery out of 1 of my trucks.
    No need in wasting money on a tow, etc

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like your original problem was a bad headlight socket and messing up that repair is hard to do but I’ve seen some screwed up stuff in my time as a auto tech. First place to look is check the wiring on the headlight they repaired and the the next step for my would be to use my amp hound and check all the fuses is every fuse block to see which fuse is drawing the most amps and then you know which circuit has the parasitic draw. Next you will need a wiring diagram for that circuit and start tracking it down, parasitic draws can be a huge pain in the ass. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is an example of some messed up stuff I see on cars sometimes and this happened to be in the shop yesterday and they wonder why their truck wouldn’t crank lol.

cfd0f347660d8b22c3e2840e80ce3fe4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks to all. I jumped the battery only to discover she will not come out of park. Does anyone have a shop they trust in pace or Milton or jay? I’m right where pace becomes jay but have unlimited towing via my insurance. Lord I hope it’s just a broken cable. Electrical problems are a nightmare. My mustang had to be totally retired here is a pic 463BD79B-84D8-4DFD-A60A-ADEEF3E01CDC.jpg

Attachments

• 463BD79B-84D8-4DFD-A60A-ADEEF3E01CDC.jpg
      463BD79B-84D8-4DFD-A60A-ADEEF3E01CDC.jpg
      284.2 KB · Views: 92

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Crawl under the truck, drivers side. Look at main tranny (middle) body area. You'll see the linkage going into the side on the tranny. You'll see a black plastic clip (circular with hole in middle) connected to the shift cable, More than likely, the clip has came off the linkage ear/stud piece. Just pop it back on. My silverado did this a few times until I put a wire zip tie on it. g/l

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will check this thank y’all so much. Just got back from the tire shop my other vehicle hit a screw so had to get the tire patched. Think I’m gonna lay low til whatever this is passes over lol

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Omg I forgot this was here. Thank you Stagman it was the negative battery cable that caused it all!! Got a new cable and all is well. Shout out to Stagman and Debroux Automotive

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks to all. I jumped the battery only to discover she will not come out of park. Does anyone have a shop they trust in pace or Milton or jay? I’m right where pace becomes jay but have unlimited towing via my insurance. Lord I hope it’s just a broken cable. Electrical problems are a nightmare. My mustang had to be totally retired here is a pic View attachment 71073

Just outta curiousity, why did that beauty have to be retired??

I gotta cousin who builds show-quality Mustangs in his spare time...
    He has a white one that has taken quite a few trophy's...its rareness helps.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you. I meant to type rewired. The previous owner had attempted to put in some stereo components and it went through three batteries on the way from St. Augustine back home to Panama City. It was a great car after that although I never cared for the 411 gearing it had. I preferred the 355 gears in my other fox body, a 7up vert

Attachments

• 049.jpg
      049.jpg
      279.3 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Top Bottom