• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I have a Savage ml2 that when I shoot (or attempt to) the 240 grain real bullets the powder does not ignite completely causing it to sound like a cap gun and the bullet comes out of the barrel like a cork gun but when I shoot the same powder and primer combo with a factory Sabot it shoots great. Does any one have any idea what is going on. I am thinking that the bullet is under sized and not sealing the barrel causing the incomplete ignition if powder. But with pyrodex and the real bullets it shoots great

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have you slugged the barrel and checked the diameter of the 240 grain bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Put more powder down the barrel, that oughta work. j/k, Might use a gas cap on it tho, if it works good then, it's leaking/losing the seal. Measure the bullet at both ends to see if it's uniform. Might need some slower burning powder to get full ignition all the way down the barrel.

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How much of a powder charge are you using? Also the bullet was .515 before it went down the bore? Because if it is that is way too big.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    44 grains of imr 4227 (the gun is designed for smokeless) and yes it is... I am thinking though that I will just stick to the sabots and call it done

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve never had a smokeless ML but my understanding is the powder doesn’t like full bore projectiles unless it’s a tight fit, which you definitely have. Is 4227 a slow burning powder? I know just about any conical really only likes loose black powder. You need the sudden pop that loose BP gives to force the base into to rifling to seal it.
    Might give some wads a try.

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    44 grains of imr 4227 (the gun is designed for smokeless) and yes it is... I am thinking though that I will just stick to the sabots and call it done
    44 grains of IMR 4227 is two hot .44 mag loads? 22 grains in my Henry .44 mag pushes a 250 gr bullet 1600 FPS.
    Bob

Top Bottom