• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Is anyone familiar with this club? It's the closest to my house that can reach out to 100 yards. Do you have to be active duty to join? I can't find any clarifications on their website. I'm only home for one Saturday each month to be able to go there and ask questions. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. I'm just looking for a club/range that has 100+ yard rifle lanes and some pistol lanes where I can bring the occasional guest. I'm not looking to join any events. I'm willing to put in volunteer work during the week when possible to help with the facilities. Is anyone a member there that can answer a few questions for me? Please reply here or in private message. Thanks.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here's the website:

https://myhurlburt.com/pages/rifle.html

Scroll down and you'll find the "Standard Operating Procedures".
    The answers you seek are in there.

Here ya go:

https://myhurlburt.com/pdf/SOP 2018.pdf

Membership eligibility requirements are on page 5.

It's got strict rules, so don't F it up for the rest of us. Think about it: it's a self-contained shooting range on an AFSOC base. A "unicorn" in the "public range" ecosystem. Professional behavior is the Minimum standard.

The fee structure just got revamped, so it's more expensive now. And you can't shoot unless there is someone else there: you bring a guest to shoot with you, or someone else is there shooting, or you have a licensed adult driver waiting in the parking lot. (Basic safety precautions to alleviate concerns of a gun blowing up in someone's face and they bleed out because they're alone.)

Read the SOP. Post questions for clarification, if you have any. I'll help out.

Bottom line, if you qualify for membership, it should suit your needs.

Dave308

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was a member on this gun range about seven or eight years ago. Didn't care for the rules or the retired so called Chief that ran the place. Things may have changed but I haven't bothered to look into it.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was a member on this gun range about seven or eight years ago. Didn't care for the rules or the retired so called Chief that ran the place. Things may have changed but I haven't bothered to look into it.

Your experience with the range is 7-years old, and the rules are available in the links above for you to actually see if anything has changed, but you'd prefer to simply revive an 8+ month-old thread with no new info.

- The rules are the rules. Probably haven't changed too much from 7-years ago. They are nothing extraordinary. In fact, considering it's a "public access" self-monitored shooting range in the middle of a military base, they are quite reasonable.

- The "retired so called Chief" you might be referring to actually IS a retired Chief Master Sergeant, and a decorated Marksman with an impressive service record and instruction history. He doesn't "run the place", but he does stay involved and still teaches many classes from pistol marksmanship, long-distance rifle marksmanship, and reloading.

The range is a great opportunity for those that meet the membership requirements. For those potential members that don't like the rules and might be prone to bending/breaking them, by all means: please go somewhere else.

Dave308

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your experience with the range is 7-years old, and the rules are available in the links above for you to actually see if anything has changed, but you'd prefer to simply revive an 8+ month-old thread with no new info.

- The rules are the rules. Probably haven't changed too much from 7-years ago. They are nothing extraordinary. In fact, considering it's a "public access" self-monitored shooting range in the middle of a military base, they are quite reasonable.

- The "retired so called Chief" you might be referring to actually IS a retired Chief Master Sergeant, and a decorated Marksman with an impressive service record and instruction history. He doesn't "run the place", but he does stay involved and still teaches many classes from pistol marksmanship, long-distance rifle marksmanship, and reloading.

The range is a great opportunity for those that meet the membership requirements. For those potential members that don't like the rules and might be prone to bending/breaking them, by all means: please go somewhere else.[/QUOTE

Well I’m happy you are happy. I was able to get a refund for my membership so I guess it wasn’t too bad of a deal. Good day.

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Snake eyes laid it out pretty well. The rules are strict, but this isn't a gravel pit where you can shoot glass bottles. The retired Chief is an inductee in the Special Operations Hall of Honor and has quite a resume.

I've sat on the BoD for about ten years now and have seen lots of folks come and go. Some years ago, I stopped a gentleman who was loading a handgun behind the line. He decide to quit the club and I later heard at an LGS what an azzhole I was. I'll take being know as an azzhole anyday over being the guy who let someone get shot.

Some folks don't like the wingman rule, which is an AF requirement, not a club rule. Anyone who can safley handle a firearm and follow basic rules will enjoy our ranges.

Teamguy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is anyone familiar with this club? It's the closest to my house that can reach out to 100 yards. Do you have to be active duty to join? I can't find any clarifications on their website. I'm only home for one Saturday each month to be able to go there and ask questions. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. I'm just looking for a club/range that has 100+ yard rifle lanes and some pistol lanes where I can bring the occasional guest. I'm not looking to join any events. I'm willing to put in volunteer work during the week when possible to help with the facilities. Is anyone a member there that can answer a few questions for me? Please reply here or in private message. Thanks.
    I am a new member there, you must have full access to Hurlbert Field which may be available from prior military service. Retired, disabled vet, etc. Hope this helps.

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Prior service won't get you on base unless you have a DOD issued ID (retired, medical, etc). Contractors with unlimited access and civil service are authorized. Basically, if you can get in the gate WITHOUT a sponsor, your are golden. 100 and 200 for rifles. 5 to 20 for handguns. Volunteer work is not required, but one cleanup discounts membership fee $20 when you re-up. Guests are allowed once you complete the required training. As of now, the fee is $5.00, but we have discussed increasing. Immediate family are fee exempt. This does NOT include adult children, in-laws or outaws.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Prior service won't get you on base unless you have a DOD issued ID (retired, medical, etc). Contractors with unlimited access and civil service are authorized. Basically, if you can get in the gate WITHOUT a sponsor, your are golden. 100 and 200 for rifles. 5 to 20 for handguns. Volunteer work is not required, but one cleanup discounts membership fee $20 when you re-up. Guests are allowed once you complete the required training. As of now, the fee is $5.00, but we have discussed increasing. Immediate family are fee exempt. This does NOT include adult children, in-laws or outaws.
    Is that still correct with the use of va Id for aafes and commissary access?

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not familiar with that type ID. Are hours of access to base limited? If not, I think you're good. Here is a little info, including phone. https://www.myhurlburt.com/pdf/Periodic Updates/Rifle-and-Pistol-brochure.pdf

The Range Master is usually in the office Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays, 0800-1200. You may have to call a couple times as he is in and out of the office.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    To my understanding no. I havent bothered going to base. Living in pace it's a bit of a drive

darellruda21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was a member there but haven’t renewed my membership because I’m playing Rambo (LOL) overseas again. The club is run pretty tight due to the fact that it’s inside a military installation and it probably took them forever to get the base commander to okay it. Other than that I have no problem with people running it. I met that retired CMSgt you mention, and he was pretty helpful at the range when I ask him a question. If you get caught with a violation then you will get called out right away.
    That’s just my 2cents. I’m no operator or pretend to be one. Just a guy that likes to shoot.

Last edited:

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Is that still correct with the use of va Id for aafes and commissary access?

The disabled veteran ID which enables commissary and Exchange privileges does not grant base access at the gate. So for example, while you could shop at the one over behind Corry, you cannot shop at the one on Eglin unless you have another form of identification which allows base access, such as retired military ID, retired or current DoD Civil Service ID, etc.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    ^^^ off the topic of the Hurlburt range, but I'm a vet (not retired) with a VA medical ID, and I have shopped the exchange and commissary at Eglin, along with my wife. We had to get a temporary pass at the visitor center. I was told that a permanent (or at least long term, maybe it was a year?) gate pass was available but they couldn't issue it that day because the visitor center was not staffed by the "regular" personnel the day we went. I worked on Hurlburt some years ago, and as tight as security was I'd be surprised if a VA card would allow access there.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is up to each installation commander. Glad Eglin issued you a 75 (the temp pass).

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Here's the website:

https://myhurlburt.com/pages/rifle.html

Scroll down and you'll find the "Standard Operating Procedures".
    The answers you seek are in there.

Here ya go:

https://myhurlburt.com/pdf/SOP 2018.pdf

Membership eligibility requirements are on page 5.

It's got strict rules, so don't F it up for the rest of us. Think about it: it's a self-contained shooting range on an AFSOC base. A "unicorn" in the "public range" ecosystem. Professional behavior is the Minimum standard.

The fee structure just got revamped, so it's more expensive now. And you can't shoot unless there is someone else there: you bring a guest to shoot with you, or someone else is there shooting, or you have a licensed adult driver waiting in the parking lot. (Basic safety precautions to alleviate concerns of a gun blowing up in someone's face and they bleed out because they're alone.)

Read the SOP. Post questions for clarification, if you have any. I'll help out.

Bottom line, if you qualify for membership, it should suit your needs.

Seems like a good rule to to have.
    Has anyone ever blown a gun up on this range??

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The disabled veteran ID which enables commissary and Exchange privileges does not grant base access at the gate. So for example, while you could shop at the one over behind Corry, you cannot shop at the one on Eglin unless you have another form of identification which allows base access, such as retired military ID, retired or current DoD Civil Service ID, etc.

With the new policy at Eglin/DOD and allowing disabled Vets to shop the policy is to take your VA card to the welcome center and get like a contractors card listing the places you are allowed...THEN that is your gate pass no problem. I use it everytime

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    With the new policy at Eglin/DOD and allowing disabled Vets to shop the policy is to take your VA card to the welcome center and get like a contractors card listing the places you are allowed...THEN that is your gate pass no problem. I use it everytime
    ditto. My card is good for 2 years and is renewable.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Seems like a good rule to to have.
    Has anyone ever blown a gun up on this range??

I think there was an incident or two in the past.
    Nothing catastrophic, thankfully.

Latest posts

Top Bottom