• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm looking at getting a couple of pistols done, is there anyone in the area that does ceracote or similar finishes that you'd use? Also, I have a 1940's Winchester 1894 30-30 that's been handed down a couple of generations now and is in need of refinishing of the steel. Any good bluers out there that come highly recommended?
    I live in Pace, but work in Fairhope AL, so from Santa Rosa to Baldwin counties would be the area I'm looking in

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    iCerakote is in Pace behind Bonnies Pet Grooming (down the street). His name is Steve Holloway 380-1788. I'm going to see him this afternoon as a matter of fact.

He doesnt have an ffl so he tries to turn firearms or firearm components around quickly.

check out his facebook and instagram to see his work.

flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Deep South Bluing (850-304-3187) in Pace is the best of the best. I have had 3 separate firearms done by this gentleman (his name escapes me) and he is absolutely professional and does a wonderful job. I would recommend him to anyone needing to have a firearm re-blued.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Deep South Bluing (850-304-3187) in Pace is the best of the best. I have had 3 separate firearms done by this gentleman (his name escapes me) and he is absolutely professional and does a wonderful job. I would recommend him to anyone needing to have a firearm re-blued.
    I appreciate it. The 1894 isn't the easiest to disassemble and reassemble, so I'd prefer someone with a great deal of experience. Any idea what other finishes he offers? I have a couple of .22 range pistols I'd like to get a durable coating on, ceracote or similar.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'll swing by there and check him out. Without an FFL, can he legally tear a weapon down enough to coat and then reassemble? That's considered gunsmithing, I think. Granted, I'm not certain on that.

RevSteve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mark at Deep South bluing is top notch. He can do any type of blueing you want but if you want something that will be tough and durable look into rust bluing.

RevSteve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    As far as not having an FFL it’s a tricky situation. I’m not an expert but I THINK that the owner of the firearm has to be present when the work is done. Like I said not an expert.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As far as not having an FFL it’s a tricky situation. I’m not an expert but I THINK that the owner of the firearm has to be present when the work is done. Like I said not an expert.
    That might be the case. I know assembly and disassembly can be considered gunsmithing. It's a tricky situation and I'm iffy on it.

StrangerDanger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll swing by there and check him out. Without an FFL, can he legally tear a weapon down enough to coat and then reassemble? That's considered gunsmithing, I think. Granted, I'm not certain on that.

Not legally no, but if he’s cheap, does good work, has quick turn around. Who cares? He is the one breaking the law not you

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah, he gets popped doing work on your stuff, you'd be complicit and put under investigation. You may not have any charges, but it's a headache you likely don't want. Again, I'm no expert, and what he's doing might be legal under some circumstances (i.e. you're present for all work, or he just coats pieces and you do all the assembly or disassembly) but it's still a little sketchy feeling. I looked at his Instagram and Facebook. 99% tumblers, and they look fantastic. A couple of firearms on it, as well, and they looked good. But doing that to your own gun versus another's might be an illegal activity I don't want to get involved in. If have to do some research first

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mark Parden at Greener Fields Firearms in Foley does bluing and Cerakote. Mark is a gunsmith and has his FFL. FWIW

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It’s no different than hiring a Mexican to cut your grass or brick your house. That fucker ain’t legal either.

The real "fucker" is the person who knowingly hires illegal immigrants, regardless of the country of origin.

To that person, I say:

You choose how to spend your money and your time. You want to support criminals and contribute to the problem, that's YOU. If so, please move to a "sanctuary state/shithole".

Feel sorry for the illegals? Show them to the nearest church, homeless shelter, and/or Immigration office so they can get squared away Legally. Too much trouble for you? Then move along. Paying them for work simply extenuates the problem, encourages additional illegals to join them, and actually Money-Launders their pay out of the economy, since they don't pay taxes or have to follow any of the rules that Legal Citizens and small business owners HAVE TO. Paying illegals is a multi-tiered hit to the community and economy, so why do it?

But hey, what does that have to do with this thread? Oh yeah, my contribution:
    Thanks OP for starting this thread. I'm in a similar situation and look forward to following up with some of these suggested folks in the future.

Guardian

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can also end up with your firearm confiscated by ATF if it’s in someone’s possession who is doing business without a license.

Mark Mason at Deep South is the best bluer in the tri-State area. Who does he send his Cerakote work to? Me. I am certified by Cerakote and KG Gunkote (only a select few so far), have an FFL and customer preferred for 300 miles.

Guardian Custom Firearm Coating, LLC

turbo98

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can NOT disassemble a firearm(serialized part) for coating without a FFL. You can do slides, uppers, handguards, small pieces, etc, but nothing with a serial number.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Don's on 9-Mile Road in Pensacola, right next to the Railroad Tracks,
    catty-corner from Cash America Pawn, across from the Tire place.

Top Bottom