• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody been there does it really exist? I ask because they act like they sell a lot on Guns America and they have a pistol I am interested in. Been trying to get in touch with them for a month with no luck . Almost drove down once but a long way to go if you don't know if they even open

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    They exist but they cater more to the custom rifle market. I've called and got someone on the phone before. Try calling them and setting up an appointment. Next time I drive by there I will try to take a picture of their hours sign if they have one and post it.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    They are nice people but really don’t care to have walk-in traffic.
    Duke McCaa is the owner. He owned the Gulf Breeze Pistol Parlor back in the 80s.
    They don’t go by the posted hours.
    Your best bet is to email them and make an appointment.
    I stopped by one day last summer and talked with Duke a good while. He’s a great guy but it can get frustrating trying to buy something from them.
    They buy ( and sell on the Internet) a lot of high-end estate guns.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks. When I lived in Navarre I went by several times during the posted hours but never open. I figured he had sold one of the 15,000$ rifles and didn’t need to open for awhile.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He pretty much deals with just the high-end stuff that's way out of reach for the average citizen in the area.
    It's a shame, really, back in the 80's they were THE shop to go to. They got all my biz.
    I'd buy something, then spend time at the range getting proficient with it...
    they shut down while I was in the Army...never knew what happened, only that my favorite place was gone.

Now the closest thing to the old GBPP near me is the Hwy 29 Indoor Range...
    and since they started with the Stupid $5 Ammo Fee, I've not been back.
    Tend to buy ammo a box or two a paycheck, then when I get enough to use for several guns,
    would go & practice there for an hour...have to budget since I've got twins & all, kids are expensive!! ;)

So I'm now travelling out to the Santa Rosa Shooting Center from Pensacola, since they're reasonably priced,
    have good RO's, you don't need a Membership, and aren't forced to buy their ammo.

Stopped by Oak Ridge in the Midway area once while I was out that way on a Biz Trip, looked great,
    might have to make a day trip out there sometime :)

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oak Ridge isnt too bad. Just a bit pricey and the waits can get a little long if you're wanting one of the "rifle" lanes. They won't let you shoot any steel core rifle ammo, but everything else is OK. It's a good place to practice pistol with clean lanes. I have run into a lot of newbs there though so watch your back when you get a group sharing a lane. Out of my 15 or so visits I never saw a RO in the actual firing area. I guess they monitor it from the windows or cameras. Bring your own ammo as it isn't cheap to buy it there. It has good ventilation though on the warmer days and isn't too bad. I only go there these days if I have a new pistol and wanna try it out or do a tear down on a rifle and want to test it. The staff is friendly enough and there is a smith on hand at all times if you have issues with your weapon.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    I have been there a couple of times and Duke is a good guy. Like others said, make an appt. as they do a lot of gun shows out west and I guess they may be on the road a lot. he does have some nice pistols/rifles that are non-hunting from some of the estate sales for reasonable prices. I traded him several firearms as well and was very fair.

Another good place to go for firearms is Trade Winds in Navarre. The owner Miles is an awesome guy and has tons of firearms new and old. He has been very very fair with the guns I have traded him (collector M1 Garands /Carbines and .22 Milsurp Trainers). If you do go in there, the first thing you will think is that he needs to expand another 2000 Sq Ft as the guns are piled high and on top of each other.

Oak Ridge is nice, but the wait can be long if you don't get there early. I just wished there was somewhere close that I can shoot .308 at least 300+ yds. Almost to the point I might sell some stuff so they don't become safe queens longer than they already have, lol

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes I had forgot about Tradewinds. He is very knowledgeable and I always seemed to find something I liked there (holster, etc.). Yes Oakridge was nice if you got there early but about the time I moved out of Navarre they started to get very very crowded.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    It definitely gets crowded. I might just get a membership on Hurlburt for around $75 a year since it goes out to 200 on the rifle side...but they have some strict rules including 2-person concept

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Can't stand oakridge... nice selection, wayyyy overpriced and the range is probably the most unsafe place I've ever shot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I quit stopping in Tradewinds when in that area. Miles is a nice guy and they have a lot of guns but I have no idea if I’m interested in any of them because the handgun cases are low and dark and the long guns are behind the counter and I can’t tell what they are.
    He desperately needs new displays.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I quit stopping in Tradewinds when in that area. Miles is a nice guy and they have a lot of guns but I have no idea if I’m interested in any of them because the handgun cases are low and dark and the long guns are behind the counter and I can’t tell what they are.
    He desperately needs new displays.

I told him that ten years ago ;)
    Half tempted to deliver a few strands of LED X-mas lights...
    On the upside, he keeps all his guns in his computer,
    so if there is ANYTHING you want to see, he's always
    happy to look it up, and will bring it out for a countertop view
    if he has one on hand! :)

You could literally go through a Stoeger Gun Trader's Guide,
    pick out all the ones you want to know more about,
    and go to him with the list. He's as up on Weird guns as Big Brands.

As always, he's got about 5 times more in his safes than he does on Display.
    There's some amazing things back there. Seriously.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Most of the guns I buy is because I happen to see them and like them.
    Kind of an impulse buy.
    I rarely go in a shop looking for something in particular.
    Miles is really doing himself a disservice by not having his guns properly displayed.
    For me to drive by a gun shop is highly unusual but I just find that shop frustrating.
    And while I’m ranting, another pet peeve - stores that have guns in the display case with the price tag turned over. How can I know if I want it if I don’t know the price?
    I’m not asking the clerk the price of every gun in the case.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got lists of guns I want...
    a Short List that are REALLY wanted BADLY ;)
    and a long list of "Would be Nice" guns!

Mentioned one to Miles a few months ago and he said, "Hey! I've got one!"
    So now I own a Marlin 7000T with a Red, White & blue stock!! :)
    GEDC0024.JPG

I've got an old 2001 copy of the Stoeger "Gun Trader's Guide" that goes
    just about everywhere with me...it's got all the guns underlined on my
    "Would be Nice to add to the Collection, list"

My short list of "Ten Guns I'll Buy On The Spot" rotates as I find
    those on the list, and replace them with other neat guns :)
    I'd been looking for a nice Marlin 7000T since I found out about them ten years ago.
    So now that it's off the list...a Marlin 2000 is next!

Attachments

• GEDC0024.JPG
      GEDC0024.JPG
      663 KB · Views: 149

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nice.
    I remember about 10 years ago or so, S&W came out with the 642 with no lock.
    I had one with the lock but hate the locks so I immediately wanted one without the internal lock.
    Tradewinds was the only shop in town that had one so I went and bought it.
    I believe I also bought my first LCP there when they were hard to get.
    I just wish he would brighten up the displays.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    I def. agree. He did change out some overhead fluorescent lights and I gave him some as a hint, lol.

I tend to use my phone light to look in the glass cases.

Top Bottom