• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I know that a lot of clubs make you sign up for NRA membership before you can join the club. Is this the case at ERGC as well? I refuse to give the NRA a single penny of my money as they are absolutely useless. I'm looking to join a gun club and don't want any kind of prerequisites likes this. I can't find anything on the website that states one way or the other. Could a member please clarify this for me please? Thanks. Also, is there any work going on to extend the rifle ranges to more than 100+yards? I read about them buying some extra land and would prefer to join somewhere that has a 400+ yard rifle lane.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I suspect that ERGC is a 100% NRA club. IMO if they are not,they should be. The club where I shoot is a 100% NRA club.
    If you feel that the NRA is "absolutely useless" I am glad that you are not in my club. I have been a member of the NRA for 50 years and will be for the rest of my life. I do not agree with some things they do and positions they take. But I have stayed a member.
    Tell me . . . why do you think it is that when the Dems want to poo-poo any pro gun,pro shooting,pro hunting organizations the first words out of their mouths is "the NRA" ??
    If you think the NRA is "absolutely useless" please tell us which organizations are useful,and which ones your a member of.
    Good luck finding a place to shoot . . . . and please stay away from my club. --- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm a member there, I'm a member of the NRA and GOA, however, I don't remember any mention of having to join anything to be member of the ERGC.... Yes there will be work going on to extent the ranges, the club just got 40 additional ac. plans are to go way out into the woods.... dirt moving should start pretty soon...

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    When I joined ERGC (ERML at that time) NRA membership was mandatory and I hope it still is. I'll echo Sawman's comment that while the NRA certainly isn't perfect, I'll continue my membership and support. I don't know the OP & hate to judge someone from a single post, but from what I read, I'm leaning toward hoping he/she goes somewhere other than ERGC. JMO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry fella's . . . . the "absolutely useless" wording was over the top.
    Most everyone has some problems/disagreements with the NRA. They send you too much mail,they always want money,they use the term "assault weapon",you don't like their leadership,etc,etc.
    STILL - - -> when they talk,politicians listen. Their leadership can walk into just about any Senator or Congressman's office any time they want to. The president of my gun club cannot.
    Me . . . I will stick with,and support financially the organization with the strong lobby. I will support my local gun club (or two),and stay a member in a hunting lease.
    I will try to support the organizations that promote the shooting sports. What helps to make my local shooting range strong is the fact that we are a 100% NRA club. The NRA helps our local gun range.
    Hope the OP finds a club to his likeing. Some club that does not give anything or expect anything from the NRA. Only problem that he could encounter is - -> the club he finds to join could very well be "absolutely useless". --- SAWMAN

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife and I have been members for 3 or 4 years and I've never heard anyone say anything about being required to join the NRA.

levi3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the past it was a requirement, but not anymore. The range expansion it still in the future.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NRA membership was a requirement in the 90's when I was a member.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just renewed my ERGC membership yesterday. I asked Melinda about the NRA membership and as of now it is not required. A former contractor that used to run the range for them claimed that the NRA would run background checks on new members for them. This man has since been terminated for cause and last I heard was suing. He may have been a recruiter for the NRA receiving something for new members, but that is not certain. But the story is the NRA will not run a background check or so I was informed, so currently to be a member at ERGC NRA membership is not required there. It is at a lot of other places.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I suspect that ERGC is a 100% NRA club. IMO if they are not,they should be. The club where I shoot is a 100% NRA club.
    If you feel that the NRA is "absolutely useless" I am glad that you are not in my club. I have been a member of the NRA for 50 years and will be for the rest of my life. I do not agree with some things they do and positions they take. But I have stayed a member.
    Tell me . . . why do you think it is that when the Dems want to poo-poo any pro gun,pro shooting,pro hunting organizations the first words out of their mouths is "the NRA" ??
    If you think the NRA is "absolutely useless" please tell us which organizations are useful,and which ones your a member of.
    Good luck finding a place to shoot . . . . and please stay away from my club. --- SAWMAN

Sorry to strike a nerve there bubba. The NRA USED to be a great organization. They fought for gun rights without compromise. Today's NRA is too counterproductive to gun owners and their rights that I will not give them a dime of my money. They are in bed with the politicians. The same politicians that are chiseling away your rights as we speak. GOA is a great 2A organization that doesn't waste membership dues on insane salaries and endless marketing. They spend their money in the courts, where they should. They do not compromise on our rights like the NRA does.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does ERGC have any NRA sponsored events ?? --- SAWMAN

They do things like cowboy shooting, IDPA, some informal military shooting which I do not think are NRA regulated type events. They do a bit of muzzleloading and other black powder also. The appleseed events are done there also. Here is a link to what disciplines that they offer.
    But some of that could change if they get a 600 yard range. The disciplines reflect the desires of the more active membership.

The 600 yard range was awaiting some wheeling and dealing that Charlie Miller was going to do with a nearby property owner that lacks access to a road. ERGC does now have enough land for 600 yards, but they would have to relocate things on their southern boundary line and it would be a lot cheaper to negotiate a strip of land to extend what they have in a trade. I do not know where that is now. Last time I saw Charlie he was not in good health. In any case a lot of dirt has got to be moved to build ranges. None of this will be getting done next month.

For the PRPC it was a bit of work just to make their new silhouette range and they were using a natural feature for their range and did not have to remove so much dirt.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry to strike a nerve there bubba. The NRA USED to be a great organization. They fought for gun rights without compromise. Today's NRA is too counterproductive to gun owners and their rights that I will not give them a dime of my money. They are in bed with the politicians. The same politicians that are chiseling away your rights as we speak. GOA is a great 2A organization that doesn't waste membership dues on insane salaries and endless marketing. They spend their money in the courts, where they should. They do not compromise on our rights like the NRA does.
    Your history is a little fractured.
    They fought for gun rights without compromise
    Most of the older antigun laws were not fought against by the NRA and there was a lot of compromise. But I still support them and also I will back anything that the GOA does to advance the cause. Fighting between progun organizations is counter productive.

The NRA also does a lot of other things related to the various traditional shooting disciplines and does a bit of gun type education. These are things that the GOA cannot do, but might if they ever got a lot bigger.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Your history is a little fractured. Most of the older antigun laws were not fought against by the NRA and there was a lot of compromise. But I still support them and also I will back anything that the GOA does to advance the cause. Fighting between progun organizations is counter productive.

The NRA also does a lot of other things related to the various traditional shooting disciplines and does a bit of gun type education. These are things that the GOA cannot do, but might if they ever got a lot bigger.

They stepped up in the 70s and put their foot down. Yes the NFA and GCA were uncontested by them, but that was before they were in the business of fighting for 2A rights. They grew as an organization and politicized themselves. They've since changed and are now in bed with the enemy. I'm more than familiar with the NRA and their extra curricular programs, but I cannot support an organization that fights against my rights, no matter how much other good they do.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    NRA membership was a requirement in the 90's when I was a member.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I also remember back in the 90's when I was a member NRA membership was required.

I have not been a member or step foot on a public range in a very very long time. :)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They stepped up in the 70s and put their foot down. Yes the NFA and GCA were uncontested by them, but that was before they were in the business of fighting for 2A rights. They grew as an organization and politicized themselves. They've since changed and are now in bed with the enemy. I'm more than familiar with the NRA and their extra curricular programs, but I cannot support an organization that fights against my rights, no matter how much other good they do.
    In the late 70's there was revolt and the old leadership basically got thrown out
    A schism within the National Rifle Association led to a coup at the group's annual meeting in 1977 at the Cincinnati Convention Center, and focused the NRA's mission to protecting gun rights.

The incident is known as the Revolt at Cincinnati. A group of reformers, led by former NRA President Harlon Carter and outspoken gun-rights advocate Neal Knox, brewed tension inside the organization over the leadership's wavering stance on gun control.

About 30,000 delegates attended the annual meeting May 21, 1977. Reformers wore blaze orange hunting caps and communicated via walkie-talkie around the convention floor. The NRAleaders shut off the air conditioning to discourage them.

The contentious meeting lasted until 4 a.m. A vote by 1,000 life members ousted the NRA's chief operative, executive vice president Maxwell Rich, and his cronies. Carter was selected as Rich's replacement.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did the nra support the 1994 AWB?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No they did not support it in the end. It got passed and the NRA retaliated against Senator Foley and others.
    U.S. House Speaker Tom Foley had never crossed the National Rifle Association before June 1994, when a mass shooting at Fairchild Air Force Base outside Spokane left four people dead and 23 injured.

The speaker was moved to accept the risks that come -- or should come -- from political leadership. Congress enacted a 10-year ban on semi-automatic assault weapons that fall.

The NRA came gunning with a vengeance for the 30-year Eastern Washington congressman. https://www.seattlepi.com/local/pol...ouse-Speaker-Tom-Foley-the-NRA-s-12736094.php

Latest posts

Top Bottom