• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    final report on broke kimber, i hope

Got my gun back from Bussey gunworks, had it totally reworked $275, took it to range today to test fire. First shot the gun jammed, second shot gun jammed, changed magazine and ammo , gun shot fine , ran 3 mags through it , no misfires, went back to original ammo and mag, gun shot fine, put about 50 rounds through it back to back, no misfires, I'm guessing its fixed , no bent frame just needed a good work over by a gunsmith to bring it up to par.Bussey said the frame was fine but the whole gun needed some tuning up and a good going over, I'm satisfied, it ran great. Thank you Bussey Gunworks!!

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
      IMAG0208.jpg
      647.5 KB · Views: 500
    Last edited:

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Worn recoil spring caused excessive recoil impact and bent the frame is what Kimber told me when I sent gun in for inspection as to why it would not cycle correctly.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    how much $$$ in labor where they trying to charge i can probably replace a frame for you at a lower cost if you supply the parts needed

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Man-O-Man, that's a new one on me. I was not aware that those frames could "bend".
    Was Kimber willing to take any responsibility whatsoever ?? --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    kimbers are pretty good about it. their aluminum frames aren't the best quality and the tolerances are so tight on them a few grains of coarse sand can lock them up

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since the gun was tricked out by the original owner they would not cut me any deal. $250 in labor plus parts is what they told me. Like i said it was gonna be around $500 no matter what.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Define "tricked out" if you want it done cheaper I can definitely do it cheaper than that if you get the parts that need to be replaced

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't know you could warp/bend a frame either, never happened to any other 1911 I"ve had, and I've shot them a bunch, must be their light frame.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The frames are just weak for such a hot round. Colts XSE series does the same thing over time

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd really just like to sell it as is, Everytime i try to do something like that it always ends up being more than I'd planned. you would actually have to examine gun I'm sure to decide what can or can't be done and for how much.I researched parts and frame and came up with about $350 + depending on what i wanted. I'm kinda at a loss what to do, thats why it would be best for someone with parts and stuff laying around to buy it and rebuild it.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would think an aluminum frame would crack before bending.

I’m pretty ignorant to 1911’s, wouldn’t you have all the parts save a frame from the current pistol?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not tryin' to poo-poo anybody,but . . . if Kimber discovered/could prove the use of an aftermarket recoil spring that could surely void any and all warranties. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    from the FAQ page on Kimber's site:

What type of ammunition do you recommend for your handguns?

We recommend using quality American-made ammunition. Choose from trusted names like Federal, Winchester or Remington because ammunition by these makers has proven to be of consistent high quality. Our function testing is done with Federal 230 grain FMJ.

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.

The use of reloaded or remanufactured ammunition may be dangerous, and any issues related to its usage are not covered by warranty.

Top Bottom