• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    . . . "sub - par internals" huh ??
    I owned a Kimber Ultra CDPII (custom shop) for some years. It was the 3" with internal extractor.
    I traded out the mags guts to 47D Wilson Combat. Never a problem and was accurate. And I shot a bunch of the CorBon 165gr +P+ out of it. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm not real sure you should send a regular diet of +P or +P+ in a 1911...especially one with an Aluminum frame....I'm not and Expert...just a Schmoe. My owners manual for my S/A 1911A1 9mm says don't and it is stainless. The Kimber's Faq pag I post said it shouldn't eat it regular diet of them....i really think what that means is function test what your using... and use it for personal defense :) Then there are some that shoot Bowling Pin rounds all the time they loaded themselves....just in a 5"

slickab

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm calling BS on this one. Sounds like you got yourself another one of those Kimber jambomatics and no one wants to bite the bullet....

Mine went to Yonkers twice, now it has never jambed since the last trip.
    Proof they can fix them if they want. Too me anyways.

Last edited:

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Is that pretty common for this to happen? Is there a way to avoid this with guns?

I would not think that bent frames is common but recoil springs can be replaced easily. Replacing recoil springs is mainly done in "high" round count guns. As the spring gets weaker it slams the slide into the frame with every shot.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve owned many 1911 over the years, the only brand that I ever had to replace the frame or slide on was a kimber.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    latest report on my gun from Bussey Guns is the frame is not bent or warped, misdiagnose from Kimber. Hasn't broken the gun down yet however for a closer look.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do you think that he might know if the gun has an inside or outside extractor.
    If he has not broken the gun down yet,what indications is he getting that "the frame is not bent or warped" ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did Kimber inspect it or just guess via the phone/email?

Bussey Guns must have a very calibrated eye to make that claim without tear down, straightedge or calipers! Hope its not just a comment to placate you because they haven't got to it yet. If their that good, that's great. Time will tell.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It depends on the definition of broken down. Field stripped? He wouldn’t know. Detail stripped? Then maybe it’s field stripped, and I would think a straight edge on the surfaces of the frame rails would tell you.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm guessing that where the guide rod contacts the frame it's all beat up from the worn out spring and hot loads.
    Maybe should have used some of these https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-1911-Bulk-Package-of-100/productinfo/2BBN/

rear of the guide rod probably doesn't seat well any more. I would imagine depending on how badly it was damage could be resurfaced with a Bridgeport and the right bit or CNC machine...might just be easier to replace the frame.

Last edited:

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    getting my gun back this week, Bussey gunworks says the gun is fine as far as frame is concerned, just alot of little things that added up to jamming. Kimber dropped the ball on this one for sure. i will give a range report on work done by Bussey Gunworks later .

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sent one Kimber back 8 times . Still was not right . It's been a Bullseye wadcutter gun since that . Only 2 things still Kimber are slide & frame . Many are happy with their Kimbers & I say good for them , but unfortunately I was not one of them . Short chambered barrel , bad MIM parts that broke including firing pin stop , slide stop , barrel bushing & on & on . All that aside if you're going to run a 1911 smaller than Gov't size springs become more important , add an alloy frame now they're critical . In my alloy CCO I run a 20lb recoil spring with a 23lb hammer / mainspring , small radius firing pin stop , XP firing pin spring & no +P ammo . In 45 acp performance between standard & +P out of a 4.25" barrel aint much difference . 1911 is a labor of love that demands frequent tweaks to stay 100% which is why most LE shops won't use them . If replacing springs every 2K & complete tear down / inspection every 5K daunts you , one is better served by Austrian Tupperware . I really like my G 30S & might if the right opportunity arises get a 21 .

Top Bottom