• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was just a few months ago that my credit card company put out an alert and stopped my credit card. Two days ago I decided to purchase somethings and the card would not work. This card is only used for internet purchasing. The company detected people ordering small charges from google music. i am glad that the card company caught it. Fortunately I have another card and was able to make the purchase.

I try to use pay pal when ever possible, but many places do not accept paypal Some places like best buy's geek service and paypal keep your card number permanently on file. One really does not know how the credit card info is being stolen.
    Last big purchase for me was from Midwayusa prior to the number being stolen and used. I also for christmas purchased items with that card.

Do you recognize all of these transaction(s)?

Declined transaction at GOOGLE Google Music for $1.58 on 01/08/2019

Declined transaction at GOOGLE Google Music for $1.58 on 01/08/2019

Approved transaction at GOOGLE Google Music for $1.58 on 01/08/2019

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry this happened to you. They got me also about 2 months ago, it was small charges for items bought through facebook, which I do not have. Since the OPM hack several years back I have gotten hit at least once a year. Worse was 3 years ago when someone opened at real estate account with my information.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's why you need to check your statement to make sure all the charges are yours.

A new breed of "OUTLAWS" out there and a new way to "STEAL"

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I use my CC for just about everything. The last several years it seems like it gets compromised about once a year. I check my account every other day so I've always been able to catch it quickly, I've never been held liable for the charges and my new CC arrives fairly quick. It's always a bit of a pain, especially with auto pays. Several times I've been able to call the company and find out what was purchased/where it was sent. Someone ordered some stuff from Grainger and had it sent to a vacant lot in Pensacola. Had 3 of the same nursing text books ordered and delivered to Miami. Last time someone paid for a hotel room (with a fake card) and an airplane ticket. Golf shoes, clothes in Russia, cable bills. I usually pass on the info to my CC company but they don't seem to care much.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    About the only card my wife and I use nowadays is our Regions Bank card. We charge about $2200. a month on it but we pay it off in full just as soon as we get the bill. All gas,groceries,and other bills are paid with the Regions card. In return we get a good kickback (Rewards Points). We earn about $500. per year which goes into a savings acct.
    We also have a Cabela's. We have had it for about 25 years now. That card has changed to Mastercard and another bank. Awhile back we had some fraud problems with that card and Cabela's took care of us very well. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now that one will get compromised. Hope you have a 3rd one, just in case. :croc:
    I use a different card for local purchases and I generally do have a bit cash in pocket or can get it quickly enough.

The new card should arrive shortly.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use my CC for just about everything. The last several years it seems like it gets compromised about once a year. I check my account every other day so I've always been able to catch it quickly, I've never been held liable for the charges and my new CC arrives fairly quick. It's always a bit of a pain, especially with auto pays. Several times I've been able to call the company and find out what was purchased/where it was sent. Someone ordered some stuff from Grainger and had it sent to a vacant lot in Pensacola. Had 3 of the same nursing text books ordered and delivered to Miami. Last time someone paid for a hotel room (with a fake card) and an airplane ticket. Golf shoes, clothes in Russia, cable bills. I usually pass on the info to my CC company but they don't seem to care much.
    This is one reason why this type of theft continues. The credit card companies and banks to not really care. Those crooks that in the US they certainly can go after. And if they really wanted for places like Russia and India-Pakistan they could hire local talent to treat these types with extreme prejudice. If there is no penalty, then these crooks have no reason to stop. People will certainly do the crime if there is no time to be served in prison.

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It does seem to be getting worse, thank goodness banks are watching for suspect charges. My bank called and asked if I had purchased $3000 worth of gym equipment in Seattle, Washington. Of course I hadn't and charges were taken off my account. They caught it two days after the charges were made and way before I would have gotten a statement. Not sure how it was handled from that point on though, hope the low lifes get caught.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sign up for text alerts when your card is used, the alerts are instant. Usually about .5 sec after you swipe the card in the machine or complete a transaction online your phone will alert with the details. I believe you can even set a minimum amount also so you don't get hammered with alerts for little things if you use the card a lot.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sign up for text alerts when your card is used, the alerts are instant. Usually about .5 sec after you swipe the card in the machine or complete a transaction online your phone will alert with the details. I believe you can even set a minimum amount also so you don't get hammered with alerts for little things if you use the card a lot.
    Is it possible to do that with email?

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I work in the fraud department for a certain banking/financial institution. We would if we could but the majority of the time the funds and assets stolen are pretty hard to find to the point that it’s more costly for us and merchant to recover rather than to eat the loss. Of course we could make heavy security measures that would annoy everyone to the point that we’d loose business, so its really a balancing act.

This is one reason I don’t have a credit score and have frozen my name with the credit bureaus.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I work in the fraud department for a certain banking/financial institution. We would if we could but the majority of the time the funds and assets stolen are pretty hard to find to the point that it’s more costly for us and merchant to recover rather than to eat the loss. Of course we could make heavy security measures that would annoy everyone to the point that we’d loose business, so its really a balancing act.

This is one reason I don’t have a credit score and have frozen my name with the credit bureaus.
    For specific cases in the short-term it is more expensive to pursue, but in the long run frauds if fanatically pursued would put a message through that it is not a smart thing to do. Right now it appears this sort of crime pays quite well with little likelihood of arrest and so there is no reason not to do it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be aware that credit card info is also sold. Small purchases test the Card to see if it is active and usable. When this info is sold, thats the Test for the Buyer to show its good. Scum also hope the small charges don't draw attention. After that, there could be a rapid secession of purchases or a large hit. The info is often sold again shortly thereafter before the Credit card provider is notified buyer.

Write down the card type (not number) and the security code printed on the back. You can carry the info elsewhere. Then SCRAPE that number off the Card. Anyone handling you Card while out of your sight will be denied the ability to copy it. There are electronic skimmers that more sophisticated scum use but denying the Code will stop most. Best way is to take your card to the register yourself, watch the Card and don't get distracted. Don't hand over you Card at a drive up window where you can't see anything!

You must be pro-active checking your accounts/charges daily. Its not hard, you don't need to be tech savvy: just learn how to do it and save vourself some potential grief or financial hardship. Nobody to help you? Go to the bank customer service that provided the Card.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, by the time you roll in serious investigative efforts it better be worth the cost in man hours and technology. It also better be a slam dunk case or law enforcement won’t want to deal with it. Sometimes it’s easier to make it a collections issue rather than a law enforcement issue. The other dimension is trying to track down who did it.

Hopefully in a few years the conversion to chipped cards will complete which has so far put a huge dent in POS card fraud activity.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, by the time you roll in serious investigative efforts it better be worth the cost in man hours and technology. It also better be a slam dunk case or law enforcement won’t want to deal with it. Sometimes it’s easier to make it a collections issue rather than a law enforcement issue. The other dimension is trying to track down who did it.

Hopefully in a few years the conversion to chipped cards will complete which has so far put a huge dent in POS card fraud activity.
    My card has a chip in it and was only used on the internet for purchases. All of the information had to be stolen or otherwise obtained from a merchant or someone like best buy or other places where the information is stored for future billings.
    Your reasons for not pursuing these people is exactly why they get away with it. It is not considered worth while to pursue. If it is not easy to solve, no one will bother and they rather just pay off.
    In the past my information was stolen from target.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My chip card didn't stop them at all, but all my info was stolen in the OPM hack

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mines been stolen three times. The last time the guy used it to pay his mortgage payment, you would think that would be super easy to catch the guy, wrong. I called the credit card company and they said it would cost more to go after the guy than the $1,200 bucks he stole. So I asked her if that's the case what's the deterrent to stopping people from doing it, and she said there really isn't one.

Top Bottom