• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the spring, we will be RVing west to some of our National Parks, including those along the border with Mexico, before heading north to Parks in California. I would definitely prefer the comfort of keeping at least a 9mm handy in the RV.

We are retired, look like normal citizens, U.S Army vet, GA CWL, etc. I'd appreciate your suggestions for preventing problems with CA law enforcement???

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In the spring, we will be RVing west to some of our National Parks, including those along the border with Mexico, before heading north to Parks in California. I would definitely prefer the comfort of keeping at least a 9mm handy in the RV.

We are retired, look like normal citizens, U.S Army vet, GA CWL, etc. I'd appreciate your suggestions for preventing problems with CA law enforcement???

Welcome to the forum...

Alot of good info here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

Transportation
    PC§ 25610 [7].When being transported, handguns must be unloaded and in a locked fully enclosed container other than the glove box or any console attached to the vehicle. The trunk of a car is considered to be a locked container but a glove box or "utility box" is specifically forbidden. If one believes he or she is within a "gun-free school zone" (area surrounding 1,000 feet from the edge of school grounds which teaches any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade) then the handgun must be locked in a fully enclosed container. Failure to lock up a handgun while in a school zone is a violation of federal (only if one does not possess a concealed weapons permit issued by California) and state law.

Long guns (rifles, shotguns) must be unloaded when transported in a vehicle. There is no requirement for a locked container with the exception of long guns considered to be "assault weapons". Federal law requires locking containers when inside of a "gun-free school zone." In U.S. v. Lopez the Supreme Court ruled the federal Gun-Free School Zone Act was an unconstitutional exercise of Congress's power under the commerce clause. However, in 1996 Congress passed an amendment to the law requiring the gun to have traveled in interstate commerce, thereby voiding the effect of the ruling.

Assault weapons, as defined by California law, must always be transported in locked containers and may only be transported under certain circumstances

If it was me I would not touch that state with a 20 foot pole. But to each there own.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You plan to RV near the Mexico border, then RV to a "sanctuary state" that encourages illegal immigrants to kill their cops, allows anyone to shit on their streets, approves of drug addicts to litter the streets with dirty needles, and forbids lawful citizens basic 2nd Amendment rights?

Hell, if I was forced to enter Kommifornia, I'd be armed to the teeth.

My advice?
    Drive like you're a felon violating parole.
    Carry like you're an undercover cop at a mafia pool party.
    Pick your travel destinations like you're being followed by your mom, daughter, niece, and/or grandmother.
    Spend as little money as possible in their economy, and get the hell out of Kommifornia as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The CA problem is a mix of very restrictive laws from State, County and City. Fed Parks also have firearms regs you should be aware (some Parks actually got better!).

CA has had Agricultural Check Points on most main entry roads. I don't know if they now ask about firearms but with all their newer restrictions on firearms, mags and ammo: it is very likely.

I recommend you check the main CC Orgs for a snapshot of laws/restrictions. Pulling up the actual CA Laws/Statutes is difficult to put it mildly. Its taken me hours of online searching to find tidbits of info thats buried or misdirected from normal key word searches. Extremely frustrating. Good luck!

RVs "under home provisions" are offen afforded the same legal protections as a fixed home. Again, you would need to check by each State. Same with "Castle Doctrine, Stand your ground or Duty to retreat! HOW firearms and ammo are carried and/or stored also vary greatly.

You must also understand each States definition of "destination" and "Transit/travel through" as they apply it to firearms/ammo. What they allow to transit through with only necessary stops may be illegal if you stop for other reasons like an "Attraction" or visiting relatives could be a destination. Ref: The sail boat Capt anchored in NY/NJ Waters. 1911 locked in safe, no ammo on board. Was boarded by Port Authority, asked about guns and arrested! He had sailed from SC to a new England State. On return trip he anchored in gun hater waters. Was convicted because prosecutors case said it was a "destination" not through State travel.

Unavoidable travel may be reason enough to keep a revolver, 1911 or other single stack pistol in inventory!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    just my humble opinion, we have many other beautiful states to tourist in..

I am never going back to calif, or the rest of the liberal w. coast states...
    as they are complete lunatics out there.

goodluck

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not only does Cali have some ugly anti-gun laws, but also, any weapons that come INTO the state
    have to be on the California DOJ Approved List. Period. No Joke.

So not only do you have to follow the screwy laws,
    ya gotta select your weaponry from a LIST...and it's a short blooming list.
    https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns?make=Smith+%26+Wesson

Even if transporting for personal use, you are still considered to be
    Importing any guns in your possession during your trip, and
    exporting when you leave...so you have to follow the DOJ list...
    sucks, but it's better than going to jail/loosing your gun rights/etc...

ALSO, PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE REMOVED FROM ROSTER LIST...
    https://www.oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/files/pdfs/firearms/removed.pdf

How they can say all those S&W wheelguns aren't safe is beyond me.
    It's kind of shocking how long & varied the list is...
    Springfield XD's & Colt 1911's...sheesh.

It's just California's backdoor gun removal act...
    they'll certify 'em for so long, then after they De-certify,
    yer SCREWED...look at all the Decertified Glocks....gives ya heartburn.

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hate California and they’re cluster fuck of laws, not limited to only firearms.

However, big shrek, the opening paragraph of the first link is as follows

As of January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

I think the list pertains to what’s allowed to be sold, not possessed.

I do have some friends who live in California, and I’m asking them if they happen to have some insight.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think if ever decide to RV around the country when I get older I'm going to have a hidden gun storage compartment installed in the camper. One that good enough to hide the presence of a weapon should we get inspected in an anti-gun state.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea there is plenty gun friendly states to travel too in an RV that you could really just avoid the rest.

9ULWAml.png

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wow...!!! 63 pages of handguns not allowed...WTF...?

Don’t take an AR to Cali.... make sure the handgun you do plan to take is on the ‘approved’ list (what can be bought and sold legally there, and make sure you do not take his cap magazines). I think they are limited to 10 rounds, but double, triple check. Have fun.

Last edited:

Dutch

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lived in Comifornia 15 years before retiring to Navarre. Keep your firearm unloaded in a locked container and you’ll be fine.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From non lawyer: The Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) provides protections "for interstate travel" when its provisions are complied with. The "Catch" is it refers to traveling from one place where possesion is lawful to another place where possession is lawful. The problem is when you stop for longer then necessary for transt through. That stop at State/Federal Park or attraction becomes a "Destination". As such, you are no longer traveling from authorized to authorized location, FOPA protections no longer apply. You have traveled from a place of lawful possesion to a place of unauthorized (illegal) possesion if local/State Laws are now violated. It does not matter if at that point what your "final destination" is. Unless your firearms/gear are CA compliant, you would be in violation. The NRA/ILA gives warning to keep your firearms in your vehicle and not in a travel trailer that could be disconnected/hooked up while you drive the pickup/tow vehicle around.

Even if you bring a item that had prior CADOJ approval but is now off the List, there is still jeopardy as that specifc item was not previously physically in CA to fall under "grandfathering": therefore you are in possession/imported a unapproved firearm. It falls to the same logic that a CA resident can't buy one from outside the State if the firearm is no longer on the List of approved firearms.

If your really set on the travel with entertainment/parks/stops, please consult a CA firearms attorney and get a written legal position on the issues and keep his number handy. IMHO

I interpret this information as: If you stop to smell the roses in CA, you do so at great risk criminally and financially.

Dutch

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good advice, don’t stay any longer than necessary. You don’t want any of this idiocy to rub off on ya :)
    So, I’m not an attorney either and don’t want to be the final authority on this, just a source for advice.
    I’m a retired LEO and retired teacher. This comes straight from my good friend in California, an active duty Riverside County Deputy Sheriff.
    First, it’s not illegal to own an off roster fireman and you can purchase them from private parties all day long. You just can’t purchase them from stores, nor can they sell them to civilians.
    The biggest issue you would have in California is for a peace officer to, for whatever reason, search your vehicle and find an un secured (not in a separate lock box and locked) firearm. This would further be compounded if the firearm wasn’t registered to you.
    First, you would have to give the LEO probable cause to search your vehicle. If that’s the case you probably have other issues going on other than an off roster firearm.
    Believe it or not, most cops in Cali are very very pro 2nd amendment and are not out to hassle anyone over this.
    Again, the biggest issue you need to focus on is keeping the handgun in a separate and security locked container and separate from the magazine.
    And for the record, there is no high capacity magazine ban in effect in California at this time. The ban was blocked by the courts.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is the general information provided by the current Director CADOJ:
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

I say "general information" because it doesn't provide details. Does this apply to Ca Residents, non resident or both? This text must assume that persons are also in compliance with all CA laws. To think otherwise would be to perceive it as a get out of jail free card. A Taurus Judge revolver (.410/45LC) is an unlawful SBS under CA Law, under Federal Law it's just a handgun/revolver.

CA: All firearm sales including Private Party must be transfered by a CA qualified FFL.
    Firearms that are not on the CADOJ Approved List but legally in CA may be transfered within CA. These non roster firearms may not be transfered/imported from sources outside CA.

The CA Magazine Ban is held up in the Courts but the prior existing magazine 10 round limit (with grandfathering for larger capacity mags already in the State) remains the active. The same Law also made it illegal import (cause to enter into the State) high capacity magazine(s).

Though I can appreciate the effort to get info from a CA LEO, we know that personal experience, interpetation and application may vary from the actual Law: which is what the Courts use and what you will be held accountable for.

BOTTOM LINE:
    OP should write the CADOJ with travel plans/stops and what firearm(s) and mags he intends to bring. Then follow that guidance and keep a hard copy handy.

Top Bottom