• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I want an extra 5.56 bbl assembly. Ruger says in an email to me that they do not offer that. What the heck...part of the idea behind the Takedown is the owner can remove and install the bbl assembly in seconds. You cannot take a regular AR15 bbl and install it. Besides the breach end being different, the gas hole in the Takedown is in a different position, let along the bbl diameter where the gas piston block is attached.

I may try sending the rifle minus the bbl assembly (that was lost in a boating accident) to Ruger and asking.

Ruger says they will make more 300 Blackout kits early this year. Ruger would not confirm or deny the SR556 is being discontinued or staying in production.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Just got off the phone with Ruger. They will not give me a RMA to return one of my Takedowns to have a new 5.56 bbl assembly installed unless the bbl is broken or the bbl is worn out and they get the old bbl back.

I was told that even though the Takedown is discontinued, they will still keep the machinery to make new bbl's if my existing bbl breaks or is worn out.

So, how long will the SR556 takedown be serviced? Answer: "I can't answer that."

I am sure they've now put a tag on the bbl making equipment to keep ready to go in case Daezee needs a new bbl! :suspicious:

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Therein lies the problem with buying something oddball, especially a Ruger takedown AR. Too proprietary in nature and not a very popular model, hence the discontinuation of the model. Sometimes good concepts are not so good in reality, especially when it comes to support and product availability from some manufacturers on discontinued products.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes, a continuing situation with companies being bought out (or closing) and the new owner discontinuing models, "improving" models (Gen 1, Gen 2) with little to no or expensive backwards compatibility and minimal to no parts being made available to the public (SIG especially falls into that category), and not keeping the public *informed. Multiple companies fall into the category of discontinuing models/versions with no warning. By the time I see/become aware of a Ruger I want, it's already discontinued in some cases. Oh, they are sometimes available on the secondary market at collector's prices.

* Maybe the public is kept in the dark with companies hoping the public will continue to buy existing inventory that's in the distribution pipeline.

Here's a clue: If CDNN suddenly has particular models or name brand parts at a much reduced price...it's a chance they are/have been quietly discontinued by the maker. Recent examples include the Ruger Precision 5.56 rifle, the Ruger SR556 Takedown, SIG MCX barrels (SIG changed the design...old bbls won't work with the new design MCX; at least new design bbls will work with the earlier MCX but a new bolt (and perhaps hand guard) is needed at additional cost to the owner.

Fortunately, the Ruger SR556 Takedown appears to be a sturdy design with quality components. The bbl steel is 41V45, CHF, and chrome lined (in the 5.56 bbl; the Blackout bbl is not chrome lined, but is nitrided), all things that promote a long bbl life. The piston rod is designed to last as long as a bbl.

I'll admit I think about such things, having worn out some bbls and parts, keeping records of bore wear, but most of the time it won't matter.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Six months after starting my journey to get an extra 5.56 Ruger Takedown bbl assembly for the discontinued SR556 Takedown (contacting Ruger CEO, letters, emails, phone calls, being told no twice, talking with a very nice employee who agreed to get involved and would take the matter up with her supervisor), a package arrived. I was told by the employee that a package had been shipped this week from the Ruger NC factory, but waited until it arrived and photographed the unboxing. Hmmm, what could be in it?

DSCN3694.JPG
    DSCN3695.JPG
    DSCN3696.JPG
    DSCN3697.JPG
    DSCN3698.JPG
    DSCN3699.JPG
    DSCN3700.JPG

"There is no charge for the barrel. Your patience in this matter has cost you enough."

I may be the only individual in the world that has an extra SR556 Takedown 5.56 bbl assembly!

Attachments

• DSCN3694.JPG
      DSCN3694.JPG
      51.4 KB · Views: 136
    • DSCN3695.JPG
      DSCN3695.JPG
      44 KB · Views: 135
    • DSCN3696.JPG
      DSCN3696.JPG
      48 KB · Views: 142
    • DSCN3697.JPG
      DSCN3697.JPG
      46.4 KB · Views: 136
    • DSCN3698.JPG
      DSCN3698.JPG
      50.2 KB · Views: 139
    • DSCN3699.JPG
      DSCN3699.JPG
      40.4 KB · Views: 143
    • DSCN3700.JPG
      DSCN3700.JPG
      51.9 KB · Views: 136

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It took awhile but that's very cool. As a Ruger(s) owner and shareholder I'm glad to see they did that for you.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    WOW! What Devine intervention needed to occur for you to get the barrel? I would say it is on the order of; hell freezing over, your special order gun parts arrive without delay from the anodizer or William Ruger is brought back from the dead by Alexander Sturm. Now, Bruce can you buy me a power ball lottery ticket. I'll pay you back.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The name of the Devine Intervention is *******. I have her name, email, and phone number.

Top Bottom