• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I can see plenty potential for problems using his methods. Also the "tool up" seems kinda complecated.
    My only application for the mini shells is my Moss 590 Shockwave. I find them at Gander Outdoors for $14.00 per 20. Cheap enough for me.
    My gun does not like the slugs but the mixed buckshot and 7.5 shot shoots fine using the OPSOL adaptor. My primary use is the buck.
    What I would like to see is some #2 lead or "BB" loadings in the mini shells. --- SAWMAN

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks SAWMAN. I am still in the beginning stages of reloading and dont want to injure myself. What would be some of the problems of cutting loaded shells down?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Obviously watched the vid,some parts twice. My "take" on it was that he was loading the charge of powder,not really knowing the weight of the pellets or buck. Like rifle and pistol,powder weight goes up,bullet weight comes down. Could be that this was just for the vid.
    Wondering also what powder would be used in building a "mini shell". Faster,slower,the same,etc.
    The vid was a "show and tell. But if it were me that was loading these shells,I would have a "system" of prep'ing everything (cutting to size) ,then put powder in and a felt spacer,then actually weigh the pellets and even the slug to make sure everything was consistent. I would do the same thing,the same way,everytime.
    I also would shoot a few in a single shot to check for pressure and extraction/ejection. Also for pattern at what range. I would be looking for a more open pattern than the Aguilla.
    I might also try a duplex or even a triplex load. Checking closely for the over all weight of pellets.
    For me - -> a load of "BB" and #6 would be good. Possibly all #4 shot. It would be fun to expierament.
    If you give this a try,let us know how it goes. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Wad pressure is another concern. I loaded thousands of 12 and 20ga on a MEC Sizemaster over the years. Wad pressure would have a big effect on pattern density. Possibly does not matter with the mini shells.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Obviously watched the vid,some parts twice. My "take" on it was that he was loading the charge of powder,not really knowing the weight of the pellets or buck. Like rifle and pistol,powder weight goes up,bullet weight comes down. Could be that this was just for the vid.
    Wondering also what powder would be used in building a "mini shell". Faster,slower,the same,etc.
    The vid was a "show and tell. But if it were me that was loading these shells,I would have a "system" of prep'ing everything (cutting to size) ,then put powder in and a felt spacer,then actually weigh the pellets and even the slug to make sure everything was consistent. I would do the same thing,the same way,everytime.
    I also would shoot a few in a single shot to check for pressure and extraction/ejection. Also for pattern at what range. I would be looking for a more open pattern than the Aguilla.
    I might also try a duplex or even a triplex load. Checking closely for the over all weight of pellets.
    For me - -> a load of "BB" and #6 would be good. Possibly all #4 shot. It would be fun to expierament.
    If you give this a try,let us know how it goes. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Wad pressure is another concern. I loaded thousands of 12 and 20ga on a MEC Sizemaster over the years. Wad pressure would have a big effect on pattern density. Possibly does not matter with the mini shells.

Sorry to hijack your thread joe but I got a quick question for saw. What is a good beginner's press to use for reloading shot shells that will handle both 20 and 12? Not looking to break the bank, I just want to load some custom rounds to play around with and also have the ability to load bird and buck rounds.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry sir but I would not be the best person to ask this question. While I do have years of expierance reloading shotgun shells,my only expierance is with the above stated press.
    While this press is not overly complecated,there are shotshell reloading setups that are very basic,hands on type setups.
    Possibly scan this forum for past related threads or start a new thread,asking the questions that you need answered. I know that there are people about with more expierance than me.
    Sorry that I could not be more help to you. --- SAWMAN

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the minishells in my KSG and they work great , never a problem, but i have also read they do not work well in all pumps and not at all in semi autos's.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the minishells in my KSG and they work great , never a problem, but i have also read they do not work well in all pumps and not at all in semi autos's.

You gotta have the Opsol adapter or they will flip around 180 degrees coming out of the tube and into the receiver. They run great in my Mossberg 500 with the $10 adapter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom