• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys.. I am trying to take down a Browning Sweet Sixteen shotgun and I am pretty sure it hasn’t been cleaned in 60 years! I am down to the last 2 screws to be able to completely take it down to clean it and they are just stuck! At this point I have accepted that I am going to have to replace the screws (whenever I get them out) because they are getting mucked up with me attempts. But I have to get them out.. I have tried spraying wd40 and letting it sit, tried heat, tried freezing the whole receiver, they are not budging. Can anyone offer any other tips or advice?

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Try using something like PBBlaster or some other good penetrating oil. Let it sit a couple of days. If that does not work then do what Zeroed In said.

Idoono

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah, WD will do pretty much nothing to help. A good brand of penetrating oil WILL help.
    A small squirt can stays on my bench at all times. I put "reasonable" force on a screw. I try turning it in and out. If it doesn't move,I put the oil to it. I plan to allow it to sit,screw head up,for at least two hours before another attempt. Over night be mo-bedda.
    Never any heat needed. I have loosened and removed scope ring screws,ring to base 1/2" nuts,and overtighted muzzle devices with BLUE LocTite or clear fingernail polish. --- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    if the slot still has a tight fit with the screwdriver(or use an old screwdriver you can file down to a tight fit) as you are putting pressure on the screw, tap with a small hammer on the head of the screwdriver.

that will work sometimes... called an impact screwdriver if you have one of those

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You do know that reg. screwdriver is not what you use. I have all ways been able to remove them and a screw jack will help a few other ways also. Just my 5 cents jj

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Hey guys.. I am trying to take down a Browning Sweet Sixteen shotgun and I am pretty sure it hasn’t been cleaned in 60 years! I am down to the last 2 screws to be able to completely take it down to clean it and they are just stuck! At this point I have accepted that I am going to have to replace the screws (whenever I get them out) because they are getting mucked up with me attempts. But I have to get them out.. I have tried spraying wd40 and letting it sit, tried heat, tried freezing the whole receiver, they are not budging. Can anyone offer any other tips or advice?

You should listen to JJ (oneshot) post #6. He can probably help you out.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've actually had to use an impact driver on that same gun as well as an old remington 742. I applied some 3 in one oil a few times for a day or so then knocked it loose with the impact screwdriver. You may have to file down the bit for the driver a little to perfectly fit the screw. As wildrider posted, they're a fairly inexpensive tool that can be had at most hardware stores or ordered online. I think I paid around $10 for mine on amazon.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the impact screwdriver is great but it will wring off the head of a screw if you get carried away with it. I'd let it soak in Kroil a day or so first.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the impact screwdriver is great but it will wring off the head of a screw if you get carried away with it. I'd let it soak in Kroil a day or so first.

You're correct in that as if you haven't used one much before it will be easy to completely round the heads of the screws off. Just gotta do it with a little "finesse". You can heat it up a little with a proper sized punch and ball peen hammer as well. There's a few tricks you can use before you get down to the drill and tap stage.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Possibly but if that is the result, it would have happened with any torque twisting removal attempt were the threads never turm. Easy-outs shear heads if your not solid into the shaft from drilling: drilling always has the potential to screw up base threads. Three advantages of the Impact Driver are the pressure which keeps the tool tip hard against the fastener while applying directional torque and the impact shock that can break the rusted/corroded bond. You don't have to hit it like driving a rail spike first try.

I've used various penatrating oils and smacked the fastener head with a punch a few times to break rust or sealing agent with some success. Impact driver works better IMHO.

I'm not trying to deprive a gunsmith of a few buck, just a bit of DIY that could be applied to any stuck fastener.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    this reminds me of a job last Friday...it took me an hour to get what they tried to repair themselves... back to the original workable state....to correct the original problem...which took less than 4 minutes to repair the original problem... once I spent the hour repairing what they tore up

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wow, I remove stuck screws like its cool at work on C-130's....but a Browning Sweet-16 isn't that forgiving. Good luck, I'd give JJ (oneshot) a call, and see what tricks he has up his sleeve, just sayin'

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At this point I am just going to take it to a gun smith. If the screws have to be drilled I will let them do it.. I am going to order new screws for it anyway.

Top Bottom