• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Full Size 9mm Pistols for Home Defense
    As stated these will be for inside the home self defense . For CCW one might arguably want a smaller gun . As of now I've 4 .357 mags in that role that I wish to replace . If you've ever had the need to cut loose with a .357 indoors you get my point . Rest of the uninvited guest greeters will be 1911's in 45acp .
    My criteria is full size , 9mm +p capable , visible good sights , a decent trigger & it must fit my hand & not a 1911. Subjective as most things are about a handgun . Not crazy about DA/SA nor do Glocks fit my hand . What I've found so far :
    1) Walther PPQ M2 5” upgraded Dawson sights , damn good trigger for striker gun .
    2) Canik TP9SF Elite 4.5” , Warne Tactical sights , even nicer trigger than Walther . Have heard these have problems with breaking firing pins , plus they're imported by Century .
    3) HK VP9 4 or 5” . Haven't had the chance to check one of these out yet , but have heard they're nice .
    4) Steyr L or M9 , again aint had my mitts on one either . Low bore axis , different sights for sure . Have heard grip is like trying to hold a 2 X 4 .
    I'm sure there's other choices , but I don't want to have to do action work , replace sights etc. to get what I want . Any suggestions ?

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I saw it , but would prefer the L9A1 . Need to do some homework . Maybe some of the ranges around here have an HK or Steyr rental . Same with any nominations from this thread . Does anyone know how the SIG 320 or 320X5 triggers are like after the drop safe mod ?

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OP: Your the only person here that knows what a decent trigger and visable good sights mean to you, what your hand size is, prefered grip angle, if larger or smaller backstrap inserts make a difference and if all double stacks are too large. Full size eliminates 9mm revolvers except the Ruger Blackhawk Convertable. Ruling out 1911 style eliminates SA except maybe the Browning Highpower and CZ75B SA. , No DA/SA only leaves DAO and Striker type pistols (except Glock).

I regret I can't help you more.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My reccomendation would be a 16 shot 357"Mag" AKA a Glock 31.
    Or . . . for those that can't handle that . . . a Glock 17.
    No . . . wait . . . ?? . . . . . nevermind. --- SAWMAN

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Like most in my generation I came up shooting S&W / Colt / Ruger revolvers & 1911's . So I'm somewhat of a trigger snob . S&W target grips & Glocks just don't fit my hand period & Glock triggers leave much to be desired . If I'm sticking with a SA semi auto it'll be a 1911 in 45acp . Had a Glock 32 , Sig 226 both in 357 Sig . Neither is still around for various reasons . CZ makes a good gun but like a BHP need trigger work to be acceptible to me . I like the way the Walther PPQ & the Canik TP9 feel both triggers , sights & grips . I agree the Steyr is an oddity & not well supported so it's no longer a consideration . I still shoot Bullseye & numerous magnum revolvers regularly . The only 38 special loads I'd even consider for social work are the Buffalo Bore 20A or my 38/44 handloads that I'll only shoot in an N frame Smith , BB load is OK in a K or L frame . HK hammer fired either stuck with DA / SA or the LEM . I've been told by more than one HK fan the VP9 is easier to shoot well . Also just sold off a NIB CZ P-09 that I was going to put the CGW trigger kit in , but heard of several folks having FTF issues so down the road it went . I did like the grip & trigger better than a Glock though .

Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not yet but they sure get mentioned . Good deal of my input is coming from the action pistol shooters . To them a CZ , XDM , M&P , Glock all need at least trigger work & / or upgraded sights . Nothing wrong with that but I'd prefer not to have to dump another $200 in a new gun to get what I want . These are going to be used primarily for SD , so they have to feed , extract , eject flawlessly plus go bang on demand .

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Pretty much all the big names feed, fire and eject on demand. Action shooting and self defense are not necessarily the same thing.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I couldn't be happier with my beretta. The grip was a bit small for me so I replaced the grips with some hogues. It has a light mount under the barrel, plus it's an all metal frame. This thing is super accurate and eats literally any ammo I can put to it. It's fed 4 different defense rounds as well as a ton of steel, aluminum, and brass case. It's an affordable option, with light mount, that has double stack capacity. Not many options once you disregard most of your wants listed. I had a lot of input from members here when I was looking for a pistol and the beretta came highly recommended from them. I plan on buying 2 more.

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For home defense I have a few I rely on. A Walther PPQ in 9mm, A Sig P250 in 40 & 357 sig and a Ruger SR9. None of them have ever failed to do exactly what they are supposed to do and all have decent triggers. Have fun in your search.

Ex0dus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    M&P 2.0's have been flawless for me. I like my home defense weapon to pack a punch. I keep a Glock 21 SF, M&P 2.0 45, and an SBR AR-15 for home defense. But if I had to pick one thing to defend with inside of my house, it would be the old Mossberg 500 my dad gave me when I moved in. Not much can beat blowing someone a kiss with 00 Buck. 9 is very much the same for me. It's a good concealed carry/defensive caliber just based on the fact that I shoot it really well. 45, when you're used to it... has a very predictable recoil pattern, and in full size handguns, is easily managed by just about any shooter. Most 45's (for me at least) don't have a muzzle flip, but the recoil impacts the palm. This makes it very easy for me to follow up with. I'm not concerned about how perfect a trigger is on a defensive handgun. While I love flat trigger shoes on my range guns, and lighter pulls... in the line of defense, I've had good luck putting money into a reliable handgun or rifle, and leaving it as factory as possible. Just my $0.02

flphotog

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CZ P-09 9mm 19+1 capacity, or HK45 .45 10+1 capacity, both great pistols.

kent

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CZ 75 Shadow 2. Yes, many view this as a competition gun but it’s reliable and out of the box the trigger is ready to go. Shadow 2’s are generally found for about $1000 but if you shop smart, you’ll often find them for ~$850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No doubt the CZ Shadow is a nice gun . Triggers are lighter than I'd want on a SD gun . Most of what's available in the upper end have been tuned for range use with target loads . Too bad Glocks just don't work for me as they're like an AK they work & are reliable , every one that's had trigger work feels spongy . Reasons I thought about retiring the 357's are ammo capacity , muzzle blast , highly effective with full loads but I don't trust many of the 38 + P rounds available . Same reasons I don't use my 41 mags in this role either . 9mm with the new ammo + added ammo capacity was the inital attraction . Yes I also have a pair of 590A1's in the same role . Every room in the house has a gun , secured but readily available . For me a 1911 in 45acp is also an excellant house gun , so building 4 more is also an option . Got some more pondering / research to do . I do appreciate all the ideas .

kent

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No doubt the CZ Shadow is a nice gun . Triggers are lighter than I'd want on a SD gun.

A good trigger is a good trigger and the weight of the trigger is just spring change. My preference is to have one in the chamber and make my initial shot Double Action but I’ve trained this way for literally thousands of shots (USPSA Production).

The shadow will easily manage +P or even 9Major with a stronger recoil spring.

I love shooting 1911’s (and 2011’s) but would hesitate to trust my life on one going bang every time with more reliable options available.

Good luck in your search...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bah, if you're using 9mm for Home Defense, might as well go Full Out on it.
    Calico Liberty III or the Tactical version with rails...
    CalicoZombieposter.jpg

p1080954_1-tfb.jpg

Comes with 50-rd mags Standard, with optional 100-rd Hi-Capacity mags available :)

I say a pair of these will pretty much ruin anyone's day if they break in.
    One for me, one for the Wife...and she's a jarhead,
    so she'll likely stab the bullet holes with her Kabar for Extra Credit ;)

calicos.jpg

Attachments

• CalicoZombieposter.jpg
      CalicoZombieposter.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 134
    • p1080954_1-tfb.jpg
      p1080954_1-tfb.jpg
      7.4 KB · Views: 139
    • calicos.jpg
      calicos.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 135
    Top Bottom