• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just picked up an X Bolt medallion in 30-06 yesterday and wondering if anyone here has much experience with them. Longest I'm looking to shoot is probably 350-400 yards MAX. I've got a 4-12x44 on it with BDC reticle. Anyone here shooting one of these in the 400+ yards distance? Also I'd like to know your general take on the rifle. Any issues you've had that I can look forward to? Anything you like about it more than another rifle in this caliber? Hoping to make this my primary hunting weapon for deer and the occasional hog. Going to be sighting it in this weekend with 180GN SP. Thanks for any info.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Closest to that was a Browning Stainless Stalker chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Loved thst gun. Super accurate. Killed a bunch of deer,moose,bear,at the extended hunting ranges with it.
    Shot mostly 140gr NosPart's out of it,but also used it for calling yotes at one point,shooting 115gr Speer's.
    I suggest that if you will be reloading for this gun,stay <151gr bullets. If not,try to stay with factory ammo of that weight. AND . . . pick the right bullet in the lower weights. --- SAWMAN

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the reply. Curious though on the projectile weights. I've been eyeing the 165GN pretty heavily as I figured a full copper projectile would hold enough energy and be strong enough not to over expand into the animal. I've seen a few makers hitting close to and over 3000FPS with the 165s. Do you think the 150s would have any issue taking a hog, no matter how bad of a shot I am? LoL I'm all ears and open to any ideas, within reason. I'm pretty new to hunting so I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do you reload for that chambering ?? How far will you REALLY be shooting ??
    Just for comparison . . . a 110gr .308" sized projectile,going <2300fps will slam most any hog or deer you encounter. --- SAWMAN

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    '06 is an easy round to reload . Tons of established data & components . 3000 fps with a 165 SP is really pushing the envelope . The 300 Win mag only gets about 3250fps with a 165 . Truth be told a critter aint gonna be any deader rather you're running a 165 @ 2700 vs 3000fps . If you insist on pushing it shoot across a chrono & carefully check each case for signs of pressure . First hint of excess pressure back off your load . Bullets especially going that fast you definately going to have to step up to either mono metal , bonded or the old Partition to limit overexpansion on shorter range shots . Only powders I see that will hit 3000fps w/ a 165 are RL26 or MRP . Cup & core bullets work best when you don't exceed a MV of 2800fps . Now what length barrel does your rifle have ? Twist rate ? Does it feed from a clip ? Around here you don't need a 180gr for any legal game as it's overkill . Browning used to use a 1 in 12 twist in their 30 cal rifles which will limit you to a 180 or lighter . If it feeds from a clip your OAL will be limited to what will feed from the mag . For 165's I usually try H4350 , W760 / H414 , RL 19 or 17 speed powders first , 150's try RL 17 , Hunter , IMR 4064 or H4895 speed powders . You should be able to find usable loads fairly easily .

Last edited:

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stick with 150 gn interlocks for mine and Varget powder. I don't have shots over 200 yds so I haven't worked with my 30 06 past 200. I'm around 1 MOA at 100.

Top Bottom