• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Justice Ginsburg has lung cancer. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/health/ginsburg-cancer-lung.html
    The tumors could be primary lung cancers, meaning they originated in the lung. Or they could be growths that spread to her lung from cancer in another organ. The justice had colon cancer in 1999 and pancreatic cancer in 2009.

“When you have two lesions in the lung, it usually means it came from someplace else,” said Dr. Raja Flores, chairman of thoracic surgery at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in Manhattan. “It’s probably something that spread from the pancreas to the lungs.”
    I will not shed any tears if she had to leave the supreme court while trump is still president. I wonder if it is not highly malignant could she last another two years. She is sworn enemy of the bill of rights and if up to me I would not give her many more leniency then I would the numerous 2 faced politicians that double cross us all of time.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    She is a brilliant lady who has consistently fought for what she believes is right. She is not pro-2A, but then again neither is our president.

I wish her a speedy recovery.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    imo , she is a traitor to the constitution, proven with past statements and voting record.

the sooner gone, the better for us.

voting for what she believes in, is not doing her job, she should vote along the constitution lines, not what she "feels"... that is the trouble with the left these days... they vote what they "feel", not what is based in
    reality

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    she should vote along the constitution lines, not what she "feels".
    Exactly right. Fact is too many judges vote how they feel on a subject rather than what is legal.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wrote "fought" you read "vote" I meant what I wrote. She has fought her entire life for women's equal rights. As a father of a daughter and the uncle of four nieces, I applaud her efforts.

Ginsburg volunteered to write the brief for Reed v. Reed, 404 U.S. 71 (1971), in which the Supreme Court extended the protections of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to women.[26][30] She argued and won Frontiero v. Richardson, 411 U.S. 677 (1973), which challenged a statute making it more difficult for a female service member to claim an increased housing allowance for her husband than for a male service member seeking the same allowance for his wife. Ginsburg argued that the statute treated women as inferior, and the Supreme Court ruled 8–1 in her favor.[18] The court again ruled in Ginsburg's favor in Weinberger v. Wiesenfeld, 420 U.S. 636 (1975), where Ginsburg represented a widower denied survivor benefits under Social Security, which permitted widows but not widowers to collect special benefits while caring for minor children. She argued that the statute discriminated against male survivors of workers by denying them the same protection as their female counterparts.[32]

Ginsburg filed an amicus brief and sat with counsel at oral argument for Craig v. Boren, 429 U.S. 190 (1976), which challenged an Oklahoma statute that set different minimum drinking ages for men and women.[18][32] For the first time, the court imposed what is known as intermediate scrutiny on laws discriminating based on gender, a heightened standard of Constitutional review.[18][32][33] Her last case as a lawyer before the Supreme Court was 1978's Duren v. Missouri, 439 U.S. 357 (1979), which challenged the validity of voluntary jury duty for women, on the ground that participation in jury duty was a citizen's vital governmental service and therefore should not be optional for women. At the end of Ginsburg's oral argument, then-Associate Justice William Rehnquist asked Ginsburg, "You won't settle for putting Susan B. Anthony on the new dollar, then?"

I think any fair minded person would agree that these decisions which were designed to increase gender equality have made us a better country. These are just the decisions she fought for as a lawyer, not as a justice.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Her opposition to the second amendment is just wrong and her other votes do not excuse that course of action. Even a stopped clock is right two times a day.
    I wrote "fought" you read "vote" I meant what I wrote. She has fought her entire life for women's equal rights. As a father of a daughter and the uncle of four nieces, I applaud her efforts.

Ginsburg volunteered to write the brief for Reed v. Reed, 404 U.S. 71 (1971), in which the Supreme Court extended the protections of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to women.[26][30] She argued and won Frontiero v. Richardson, 411 U.S. 677 (1973), which challenged a statute making it more difficult for a female service member to claim an increased housing allowance for her husband than for a male service member seeking the same allowance for his wife. Ginsburg argued that the statute treated women as inferior, and the Supreme Court ruled 8–1 in her favor.[18] The court again ruled in Ginsburg's favor in Weinberger v. Wiesenfeld, 420 U.S. 636 (1975), where Ginsburg represented a widower denied survivor benefits under Social Security, which permitted widows but not widowers to collect special benefits while caring for minor children. She argued that the statute discriminated against male survivors of workers by denying them the same protection as their female counterparts.[32]

Ginsburg filed an amicus brief and sat with counsel at oral argument for Craig v. Boren, 429 U.S. 190 (1976), which challenged an Oklahoma statute that set different minimum drinking ages for men and women.[18][32] For the first time, the court imposed what is known as intermediate scrutiny on laws discriminating based on gender, a heightened standard of Constitutional review.[18][32][33] Her last case as a lawyer before the Supreme Court was 1978's Duren v. Missouri, 439 U.S. 357 (1979), which challenged the validity of voluntary jury duty for women, on the ground that participation in jury duty was a citizen's vital governmental service and therefore should not be optional for women. At the end of Ginsburg's oral argument, then-Associate Justice William Rehnquist asked Ginsburg, "You won't settle for putting Susan B. Anthony on the new dollar, then?"

I think any fair minded person would agree that these decisions which were designed to increase gender equality have made us a better country. These are just the decisions she fought for as a lawyer, not as a justice.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now as for her time on the Supreme Court, she is not a flaming liberal, activist judge, prone to ignore the constitution or the rule of law. In fact, just the opposite,

"Legal scholar Cass Sunstein has characterized Ginsburg as a "rational minimalist", a jurist who seeks to build cautiously on precedent rather than pushing the Constitution towards her own vision."

"Ginsburg characterizes her performance on the court as a cautious approach to adjudication.[53] She argued in a speech shortly before her nomination to the court that "[m]easured motions seem to me right, in the main, for constitutional as well as common law adjudication. Doctrinal limbs too swiftly shaped, experience teaches, may prove unstable."

"Although Ginsburg did not author the majority opinion, she was credited with influencing her colleagues on the case Safford Unified School District v. Redding, 557 U.S. 364 (2009).[72] The court ruled that a school went too far in ordering a 13-year-old female student to strip to her bra and underpants so that female officials could search for drugs.[72] In an interview published prior to the court's decision, Ginsburg shared her view that some of her colleagues did not fully appreciate the effect of a strip search on a 13-year-old girl. As she pointed out, "They have never been a 13-year-old girl."[73] In an 8–1 decision, the court agreed that the school's search went too far and violated the Fourth Amendment and allowed the student's lawsuit against the school to go forward. "

I would venture, that this forum's ire against Justice Ginsburg is misplaced. Certainly, wishing someone dead because of differing political view is wrong.

BTW her best friend on the court was Justice Scalia:

“Excuse me, but there’s something I don’t understand about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” someone will ask my co-author and me at each event since we published “Notorious RBG,” a lighthearted biography of the justice. “How could she possibly be friends with Scalia?”

Nino and RBG, the court’s most famous odd couple friendship, the subject of the recent comic opera “Scalia/Ginsburg,” stood as an example of warmth and professionalism across traditional divides.

One former clerk told us Scalia was Ginsburg’s favored souvenir shopping buddy when they traveled together. On a trip to India, they famously rode an elephant, with Scalia sitting up front. What about feminism? “It had to do with the distribution of weight,” Ginsburg deadpanned slyly. They shared New Year’s Eves with their families and friends: “Scalia kills it and Marty [Ginsburg, Ruth’s husband] cooks it,

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think this says it all, and it is good advice for all of us.

If you can’t disagree ardently with your colleagues about some issues of law and yet personally still be friends, get another job, for Pete’s sake,” is how Scalia once described their lifetime appointments. “As annoyed as you might be about his zinging dissent, he’s so utterly charming, so amusing, so sometimes outrageous, you can’t help but say, ‘I’m glad that he’s my friend or he’s my colleague,’ ” Ginsburg said. Sometimes, she said, she had to pinch herself to not laugh in the courtroom when Scalia said something audacious.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are supposed to be courteous and so I will be. i do not care if she is a liberal or a supporter of the republican party, the lady is doing or at least trying to do things that are harmful to me. She does not want me to have the best tools for my self defense and she is willing to have SWAT come and kill me and others when those of her ilk finally do outlaw effective guns which is her intent relative to the private citizenry. In the future if you refuse to obey anti-gun laws and refuse to surrender them, the police will show in the form of SWAT. I do not like that possible scenario in the future.

Now as for her time on the Supreme Court, she is not a flaming liberal, activist judge, prone to ignore the constitution or the rule of law. In fact, just the opposite,

"Legal scholar Cass Sunstein has characterized Ginsburg as a "rational minimalist", a jurist who seeks to build cautiously on precedent rather than pushing the Constitution towards her own vision."

"Ginsburg characterizes her performance on the court as a cautious approach to adjudication.[53] She argued in a speech shortly before her nomination to the court that "[m]easured motions seem to me right, in the main, for constitutional as well as common law adjudication. Doctrinal limbs too swiftly shaped, experience teaches, may prove unstable."

"Although Ginsburg did not author the majority opinion, she was credited with influencing her colleagues on the case Safford Unified School District v. Redding, 557 U.S. 364 (2009).[72] The court ruled that a school went too far in ordering a 13-year-old female student to strip to her bra and underpants so that female officials could search for drugs.[72] In an interview published prior to the court's decision, Ginsburg shared her view that some of her colleagues did not fully appreciate the effect of a strip search on a 13-year-old girl. As she pointed out, "They have never been a 13-year-old girl."[73] In an 8–1 decision, the court agreed that the school's search went too far and violated the Fourth Amendment and allowed the student's lawsuit against the school to go forward. "

I would venture, that this forum's ire against Justice Ginsburg is misplaced. Certainly, wishing someone dead because of differing political view is wrong.

BTW her best friend on the court was Justice Scalia:

“Excuse me, but there’s something I don’t understand about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” someone will ask my co-author and me at each event since we published “Notorious RBG,” a lighthearted biography of the justice. “How could she possibly be friends with Scalia?”

Nino and RBG, the court’s most famous odd couple friendship, the subject of the recent comic opera “Scalia/Ginsburg,” stood as an example of warmth and professionalism across traditional divides.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you wish her dead because she does not interpret the Second Amendment as broadly as you would like? That seems more than a bit harsh.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are supposed to be courteous and so I will be. i do not care if she is a liberal or a supporter of the republican party, the lady is doing or at least trying to do things that are harmful to me. She does not want me to have the best tools for my self defense and she is willing to have SWAT come and kill me and others when those of her ilk finally do outlaw effective guns which is her intent relative to the private citizenry. In the future if you refuse to obey anti-gun laws and refuse to surrender them, the police will show in the form of SWAT. I do not like that possible scenario in the future.

Well the biggest threat to our gun rights, as we speak, is the present administration and the GOP politicians who are refusing to stand up to Trumps erratic actions which jeopardize our rights.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the biggest threat to our gun rights, as we speak, is the present administration and the GOP politicians who are refusing to stand up to Trumps erratic actions which jeopardize our rights.
    And you are saying that Ginsberg's antigun position is ok since at the moment she is only able hurt us when a gunlaw comes before the court as the bumpstock ban could very well appear before the court. Trump went after Bump stocks, Ginsberg is after just about everything else. I do not trust Trump, but the fact that Ginsberg dislikes Trump does not make her any better.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Would RBG really be offended if someone wished her dead?

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Her opposition to the second amendment is just wrong and her other votes do not excuse that course of action. Even a stopped clock is right two times a day.

Ginsburg, came from little, was orphaned at a young age and yet graduated at the top of her class at Harvard, while raising a young family When she is right, it ain't because of luck, it is because of brains and hard work.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And you are saying that Ginsberg's antigun position is ok since at the moment she is only able hurt us when a gunlaw comes before the court as the bumpstock ban could very well appear before the court. Trump went after Bump stocks, Ginsberg is after just about everything else. I do not trust Trump, but the fact that Ginsberg dislikes Trump does not make her any better.

No, I am saying that the fact that she is opposed to gun rights does not make me wish her dead, especially of cancer. I lost all four of my grandparents to cancer. It sucks, and the treatment is worse than the illness.

Hell, I dislike everything about Trump and believe he is an manchurian candidate, but I don't wish him dead or dying of a terrible disease like cancer.

Diversity and candid, civil discord is the foundation of a great society. As my daughter says, "Great minds think for themselves". When Ginsburg dies, our legal system will be the worse for the loss. She is worth ten Brett Ks

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ginsburg, came from little, was orphaned at a young age and yet graduated at the top of her class at Harvard, while raising a young family When she is right, it ain't because of luck, it is because of brains and hard work.
    No is faulting her ability or her drive. You cite material that has nothing to do with her position on the 2nd amendment. Answer a straight question, please. Does she think that the members of the forum here should without legal restriction assuming we are not felons have the right to keep and bear our own AR15 rifles with 30 magazines and pistol grips? Be honest, what is your position on our rights to own semiauto rifles and pistols with high capacity magazines. It really sounds like you want a harsher version of the expired assault weapons law to come back into force.

I looked up Sunstein, he is from the same mold as she and was in the Obama Whitehouse. Just one dirty hand washing the other.
    Cass Robert Sunstein FBA is an American legal scholar, particularly in the fields of constitutional law, administrative law, environmental law, and law and behavioral economics, who was the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Obama administration from 2009 to 2012

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So you wish her dead because she does not interpret the Second Amendment as broadly as you would like? That seems more than a bit harsh.

Since most SCOTUS justices leave the bench due to Death, then if you want an anti-2A justice replaced, you either want them to retire voluntarily (rarely happens), or you want them to die when a POTUS and Senate are favorable to replacing that justice with a more Constitutional/2A-friendly justice.

I'd be happy if she bowed-out voluntarily due to health reasons, but she needs to go, and she needs to be replaced with a 2A/Constitutional-friendly justice.

She voted dissent in DC-vs-Heller and McDonald-vs-Chicago. I don't care how great of a person she is socially.
    Her voting record on the SCOTUS has impact to the Country, not her personal drive or likeability. Women's rights are championed. Great job, RBG. But the 2A is still under attack, and she is making the Country weaker by her votes on those matters.

May she retire tomorrow, and live out her remaining days in painless peace.

Top Bottom