Patriot Mobile

Which organization can best defend the 2A? (Opinion)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Which organization is best positions and prepared to defend 2A and the gun owner in general? I’m a member of the NRA, but they don’t seem to be very active from where I’m sitting… Haven’t heard them defending the 2A for a long time, but they don’t have an issue asking me for more money…. With what’s continuing to happen here in Florida with BAWN and the Pittsburg mayor. The bump stalk bans and so forth. I figure if my membership in another group can help, well, why not try? Suggestions?

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    The NRA and their offshoot and legislative arm ILA does a lot behind the scenes that is not made public by the MSM. Before you stop support you should go to their web sites and get the ILA daily news letter to educate yourself on all that they do. NRA is the big dog in the fight. Do they make mistakes? Probably. But on balance they do the work that you or I can't. Does everyone we pay to protect us do exactly what we would do in the same situation? No. It would be a mistake to under estimate the NRA. However, Allen Gottlieb's, Second Amendment Foundation is also a great organization. I support both. Search their sites and continue to support. Don't worry about Pittsburgh mayor more than Florida's new Agricultural Commissioner Nikki Fried (D) who promised to "review and change" the concealed weapon requirements/regulations. The Republican candidate lost by a mere 6,753 votes out of 8,059,155 cast which adds perspective to the axiom "elections matter". Don't fall prey to the MSM fake news also known as lies.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which organization is best positions and prepared to defend 2A and the gun owner in general? I’m a member of the NRA, but they don’t seem to be very active from where I’m sitting… Haven’t heard them defending the 2A for a long time, but they don’t have an issue asking me for more money…. With what’s continuing to happen here in Florida with BAWN and the Pittsburg mayor. The bump stalk bans and so forth. I figure if my membership in another group can help, well, why not try? Suggestions?
    You definitely need to keep better track of what the NRA does and of course what it does not do. For sure they have done many dumb things that hurt us, but they are the big dog in the progun fight. The BluesBrother has many of their pluses I will go with a different tack here. If you do not like what the NRA leadership does, get involved to change that leadership. Been done once before in the Famous NRA: 'Revolt at Cincinnati' molded National Rifle Association. The NRA has been responsible in large part with getting voters to dump turncoat politicians that promise 2nd A support and then voted the other way. Tom Foley was a prime example of such.

Below is another example of a turncoat politician that lost NRA support. He likely would have lost his bid for re-election even with NRA support, but the loss would not have been as dramatic.
    http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Mags/George-Bush-and-the-NRA.htm
    But once George Bush became President, this man--who had claimed loyalty and trustworthiness as his prime public virtues--almost immediately began betraying his election promises. The "no new taxes" pledge as least lasted until 1990. But opposition to gun control was abandoned within weeks of the Bush inauguration.

The aptly titled drug "czar" William Bennett--on his first day in office--convinced the Treasury Department to outlaw the import of several models of so-called "assault weapons." The NRA, attempting to preserve a relationship with the White House, praised the "temporary" import moratorium as providing a cooling-off period for a rational discussion of the "assault weapon" issue.

But a few weeks later, President Bush dramatically expanded the import ban to cover many dozens of additional firearms models. Bush Press Secretary Marlin Fitzwater added that President Bush wished that he had the additional authority to simply outlaw the domestic manufacture of so-called "assault weapons."

As the New York Times explained, the White House decision to back gun prohibition was based less on deep conviction than the desire to get out in front on what appeared to be a popular issue, after the political setback stemming from the Senate's rejection of John Tower as Presidential nominee for Secretary of Defense.

In the months that followed, the Republican National Committee and the White House were flooded with mail from outraged gunowners. Eventually, Bush waffled a little bit back towards the pro-gun side. In May of 1989, President Bush made the import ban permanent, and proposed a ban on all magazines holding more than 15 rounds, but he backed away from active support for a ban on any additional guns. Under the Bush proposal, all large-capacity "ammunition feeding devices" currently in private hands would have to be registered with the federal government, under terms similar to the current registration of machine guns.

For the rest of the Bush administration, gun rights advocates were shut out of the White House. Even with President Bush trailing badly in the polls in the late summer of 1992, the Bush administration refused to have anything to do with the gun lobby, or to do even the most minor things to help the interests of gun owners.

Instead, the White House pushed for the magazine ban at every opportunity. The White House offered to sign the Brady Bill and a more comprehensive ban on semiautomatics (including a retroactive registration requirement) if the gun control laws were included in a crime bill that the White House wanted.

Last edited:

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't just blindly follow and send money, I'm looking for opinions who else may be actively fight on the 2A side for the discussion.... GOA? I know some about the NRA, but I'm also looking to support someone else that WILL support me at the end of the day...… I don't like to have all my eggs I a single NRA basket....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't just blindly follow and send money, I'm looking for opinions who else may be actively fight on the 2A side for the discussion.... GOA? I know some about the NRA, but I'm also looking to support someone else that WILL support me at the end of the day...… I don't like to have all my eggs I a single NRA basket....

I also support the GOA by getting their publication. IIRC they do a lot of legal things and challenges. Little hard them to be effective at lobbying due to their small size. A Politician listens to anyone that can influence a lot of voters.

daehawc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.58cd5a05003c

The NRA has not been a friend of he 2nd Amendment for years. They are an organization who makes money off 2A supporters. The NRA has supported virtually every major restriction in our rights since the 1934 NFA.

I rescinded my NRA life membership and got a life membership with GOA. They may be smaller but they fight and are uncompromising on the 2nd Amendment.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had considered joining the NRA but what I've seen lately from them changed my mind. They have more than once now backed restricting our gun rights in one way or another or haven't defended them when they should have. I'm going to look into GOA a bit and most likely join them.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had considered joining the NRA but what I've seen lately from them changed my mind. They have more than once now backed restricting our gun rights in one way or another or haven't defended them when they should have. I'm going to look into GOA a bit and most likely join them.
    They have compromised to get the best deal that thought was on the table many times and other times have screwed up. But, they have backed every antigun measure is not true. If you have a CCW in FL, thank the NRA through Marion Hammer. Not sure what the GOA was able to do on that issue for us.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only VOTERS can "best defend" the 2A. Organizations can and have picked and chosen what issues they want to fight for or champion while other assaults against the 2A that don't fall neatly in their areas of concern are ignored, or worse supported! Some people may opinion these organizations are picking their battles but they have lost sight of the impact of these losses on the War against the 2A. Every loss or compromise not only kills the subject a hand but sets a new lower standard for other issues. If once legal (and ATF evaluated several times) bump firing devices can be banned and people that retain them prosecuted: that same process can be applied to anything 2A related. IMHO

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me I guess begrudgingly the NRA with hopes they quit spamming people to death and hopefully get younger more articulate leadership that can relate to suburban types who are neither pro or anti-gun.

I don't know about the rank & file, but the GOA was founded and run by an absolute loon named Larry Pratt. Sure he probably says things most pro-gun folks would agree with most of the time, but he can really go off the rails into full-on kook territory. I know the video was a set-up and all, but how can you be so stupid to sit there and read that stuff on a tele-prompter with a straight face?

Thank Goodness Matt Gatez was smart enough to realize what was going on so I can still feel okay about voting for him. The others just forfeited any right to do anything other than flip burgers for a living. How stupid can one be and these people were US Congressmen.

Kinderguardians? Seriously how could you not immediately laugh at this guy and not know it's BS? Ain't no way I'm joining an organization lead by a guy saying the things said in that video wether "tricked" or not.

[video]https://youtu.be/QkXeMoBPSDk[/video]

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me I guess begrudgingly the NRA with hopes they quit spamming people to death and hopefully get younger more articulate leadership that can relate to suburban types who are neither pro or anti-gun.

I don't know about the rank & file, but the GOA was founded and run by an absolute loon named Larry Pratt. Sure he probably says things most pro-gun folks would agree with most of the time, but he can really go off the rails into full-on kook territory. I know the video was a set-up and all, but how can you be so stupid to sit there and read that stuff on a tele-prompter with a straight face?

Thank Goodness Matt Gatez was smart enough to realize what was going on so I can still feel okay about voting for him. The others just forfeited any right to do anything other than flip burgers for a living. How stupid can one be and these people were US Congressmen.

Kinderguardians? Seriously how could you not immediately laugh at this guy and not know it's BS? Ain't no way I'm joining an organization lead by a guy saying the things said in that video wether "tricked" or not.

[video]https://youtu.be/QkXeMoBPSDk[/video]

I watched a part of that. Anyone stupid enough to give that clown any time is an idiot. At least Gatez was very careful about what he said and wisely said very little.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.58cd5a05003c

The NRA has not been a friend of he 2nd Amendment for years. They are an organization who makes money off 2A supporters. The NRA has supported virtually every major restriction in our rights since the 1934 NFA.

I rescinded my NRA life membership and got a life membership with GOA. They may be smaller but they fight and are uncompromising on the 2nd Amendment.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Some of what the NRA is planning
    But with two Trump appointees now sitting on the
    U.S. Supreme Court, and perhaps one or more to follow in
    the coming years, we may have a realistic chance to make
    gains in the courts themselves.
    The NRA has been quietly and very deliberately helping
    to shepherd litigation through the lower courts that
    could clarify the contours and requirements of the Second
    Amendment and, as the late Justice Antonin Scalia wrote in
    the majority Heller opinion, take certain policy choices “off
    the table” once and for all.
    For example, we are seeking to abolish the untenable
    policy of “may-issue” carry permits in cases arising from
    Massachusetts and New Jersey. Simply put, the Constitution
    cannot allow local authorities unfettered discretion in
    determining who can exercise fundamental rights, including
    the right to bear arms. The days of competent, law-abiding
    Americans being arbitrarily denied the right to carry firearms
    in public for lawful purposes are hopefully numbered.
    Also in our sights are overreaching restrictions that treat
    law-abiding gun owners as second class citizens. A case
    from New York City is challenging the Big Apple’s requirement
    that lawful gun owners obtain police permission to
    take their own firearms out of the city for such lawful purposes
    as travel, training and competition. Such regulations,
    which merely serve to burden law-abiding gun owners,
    should be short-lived.
    Then, of course, there are the bans on popular classes
    of firearms that law-abiding Americans use for self-defense
    and other lawful purposes. When the U.S. Supreme Court
    made clear that handgun bans were unconstitutional, gun
    control activists merely shifted their prohibitory schemes
    to other guns, like the AR-15 and its variants. But the same
    principles that prohibit the banning of handguns should
    make these bans invalid as well. The time might soon come
    when that issue will go before the high court, and at least
    three justices—including one of Trump's appointees,
    Brett Kavanaugh—have already signaled skepticism of the
    constitutionality of those laws
    Jan 2019 amer rifleman

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I see the NRA "compromise" all too often. We shouldn't be compromising our rights away AT ALL. The NRA is just a money pit, user gun registry, and anti rights group now. Give your money to GOA. Maybe one day the Fudds will realize that the NRA is helping to disarm you and join a pro 2A organization.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see the NRA "compromise" all too often. We shouldn't be compromising our rights away AT ALL. The NRA is just a money pit, user gun registry, and anti rights group now. Give your money to GOA. Maybe one day the Fudds will realize that the NRA is helping to disarm you and join a pro 2A organization.

The NRA compromises, lets' just go ahead and say it; they quit, because the Fudds that are their base are also prone to the same. Oh, and let's not discount the politics and influence of big money on politics/government. Fudds don't need no _________, so don't care if you lose yours, or anything else yours, as long as THEY can keep what THEY like. This type believes their actions will somehow be rewarded in the form of protections for the rights THEY want/support if they willfully sacrifice "some" of YOUR rights.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The NRA compromises, lets' just go ahead and say it; they quit, because the Fudds that are their base are also prone to the same. Oh, and let's not discount the politics and influence of big money on politics/government. Fudds don't need no _________, so don't care if you lose yours, or anything else yours, as long as THEY can keep what THEY like. This type believes their actions will somehow be rewarded in the form of protections for the rights THEY want/support if they willfully sacrifice "some" of YOUR rights.
    This only protecting those guns that they like, especially for the sporting events that you want- Has been the direction of a lot of gun control here and overseas. Those guns most suitable for combat are the ones they do not want civilians to have generally. I do not have any insider information on what the NRA leadership is thinking. The president of the NRA as I understand it is more a ceremonial and publicity position. Wayne LP and his group are those that run the NRA organization. I have not voted for awhile in the NRA elections and should be paying more attention. There is no way that the GOA will get the membership roles that the NRA has. NRA membership is mandatory at many private shooting ranges and so it is like working at a Union shop. The NRA still runs many of the traditional shooting disciplines and all of this gets them members.
    I still maintain that people should still join, but it is likely also wise to contribute to other organizations like GOA is you feel that they are worthy of your support.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Bump stock bas was just the start, to see if they could get 'em. The doors WIDE open, all they have to do is walk through it. we're far to disorganized to even defend much, if anything... NRA'a asking for more money....

Not a personal attack; And that right there is what really burns me. The MONEY connection. Everything comes at a price. We have been reduced to paying someone to petition the King to inquire if we might please Sire, retain some of the rights thow has bestowed upon us?

Yeah, the selfish surrender of gun rights by fellow gun owners is aggravating, but this is Constitutionally criminal. What I see happening here is Constitutional Rights held for ransom and maybe granted to whoever makes the highest bid. So, if we pay enough to a lobbying firm, we'll maybe allowed to keep/exercise what is Constitutionally ours? Instead of holding to the Constitution, and measuring proposed legislation against it, our government is just enacting legislation based on feels. We are so far off course, freedom is on the ropes.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not a personal attack; And that right there is what really burns me. The MONEY connection. Everything comes at a price. We have been reduced to paying someone to petition the King to inquire if we might please Sire, retain some of the rights thow has bestowed upon us?

Yeah, the selfish surrender of gun rights by fellow gun owners is aggravating, but this is Constitutionally criminal. What I see happening here is Constitutional Rights held for ransom and maybe granted to whoever makes the highest bid. So, if we pay enough to a lobbying firm, we'll maybe allowed to keep/exercise what is Constitutionally ours? Instead of holding to the Constitution, and measuring proposed legislation against it, our government is just enacting legislation based on feels. We are so far off course, freedom is on the ropes.

Unfortunately, lobbying to get things done your way has been going in the USA for a very long time. All I can say is that money can talk. The more you have, the more forcefully applied is the talking.

GOA does not have that big a bank roll yet, but it could happen. When that happens GOA may fall into the trap that the NRA has fallen into about political back dealing which is fraught with compromises. And there is a large payroll and the employees need to be paid. Then the purpose of the organization is to keep itself going first and political mission second.

Top Bottom