• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After watching some you tube reviews of various cowboy action type firearms, I ran across a couple of references to people loading 44 Special loads in .44 Magnum brass...anyone on this forum do the same or have experience positive or negative with that practice?

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This would solve a bit of a conundrum for me...I've been chomping at the bit for some time now to acquire a Marlin .44mag...even saw some reviews/explanations why Marlin QA went to krap after Rem bought them...seems like they are maybe getting their mojo back...now, if I can keep my single action revolver selection to 44mag or 357mag, I wouldn't have to drop a bunch on components,dies and powder...that would be a good thing.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    OK, so what you need to do is come look at the pre-safety 1894 Marlin I have, and shoot a mess of my light loads with it. You won't be buying a new Remlin after that, unless you just prefer disappointment.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    44 Mag light loads work fine, just use a wad to keep the smaller amount of powder against the rear of the case so it ignites and burns properly. Some KABOOMS are said to have occurred with small powder charges "laying low" in a large horizontal case, allowing the primer to flash over the top and igniting the length of powder.

I've used 44Mag brass cut down to .44Spl and tried the same with .44Russian. Mostly just a exercise since all cartridges went through 44Mag revolvers (S&W29, Ruger Hunter). Keep your 44Mag/Light/Spl loaded cartridges seperate and well marked.

The trimmed down to 44Spl length cases worked okay but you do get into thicker case wall. The trimmed down to 44Russian case did not work: the increased case thickness at bullet (230gr) seating depth bulged the cases badly. I didn't want to internally ream the case as that creates a "shelf" which is a potential weak spot.

You can load 44Spl cases with 44Mag dies. A pleasure to shoot and most people find the 44Spl to be a more accurate cartridge. Recoil is on par with a 38 Spl.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I was a kid, we used to load our .44 mag rounds light. It made shooting the S&W revolver a lot more pleasant.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have S&W pre-27, and pre-29, that are the same age as I am (62). I like to shoot them both, but I don't like to punish them, (or me), with magnum loads.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Quite a few years ago,I used to shoot 44Special handloads out of my Ruger Super Blackhawks. After the shooting sessions I would make sure the cylinder was extremely clean and free of carbon buildup.
    Nowadays,with the newer powders available (incl. Trail Boss) I would pick one of these powders and use the 44mag brass for the reduced loads needed.
    Especially you 454Casull shooters. I highly reccomend you use 454 brass for your reduced loads and NOT 45LC brass. It is too easy to get the two mixed up. If you ever load the 45LC back up to 454 pressures (60K psi) it will be ugly. --- SAWMAN

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just let me know a day, and time (not today) and I will be there! I do not like disappointment and would prefer a presafety JM stamped rifle....any day, all day long though availability comes into question as finding one at a competitive price is the issue...since getting a refund on my CZ, I do have funds put away...just looking for the right itch to scratch!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just let me know a day, and time (not today) and I will be there! I do not like disappointment and would prefer a presafety JM stamped rifle....any day, all day long though availability comes into question as finding one at a competitive price is the issue...since getting a refund on my CZ, I do have funds put away...just looking for the right itch to scratch!

Next time it is over 65 degrees, and sunny, in the morning. Easy payment plans are available.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The lighter loads will likely shoot much higher in revolvers than will the high velocity loads for a specific bullet wt.

Chuck32571

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    44 Special/Magnum case reloading

After watching some you tube reviews of various cowboy action type firearms, I ran across a couple of references to people loading 44 Special loads in .44 Magnum brass...anyone on this forum do the same or have experience positive or negative with that practice?

It's a trial and error guessing game when it comes to light loads for all handgun cartridges. I load for 45ACP Bullseye competition and have experimented with different bullet and powder weights for years. I've settled on 200 grain lead semi wadcutters with 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder for 50 yards and 3.7 grains for 25 yards. That's well under published loads for the 45ACP yet it works for my intentions. You can do the same with your 44 caliber loads and find the ones that work for the distance you desire. 44 Special loads in 44 Magnum cases will work.

Top Bottom