HD Tactical

Army and Marines rethinking the 6.8 round...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All well and good until they:

Want quick change out to three other calibers.

Want guick change out between configurations of SMG, INF, Squad MG, Sniper and heavy/vehicle/ helo mount versions.

Want "modular" swap outs to fit the little people.

Want one of the calibers to be soft shooting so people can qualify at the Range.

Want manufacturing done in 14 different Congressional Districts.

Want contracts to go to the low bidder who can't keep the same level of quaility for 100 rifles and will just sub contract it with cost overuns.

Same old crap we have heard before, as bad or good as the 5.56 is, the main problem was moving away from the 20 inch barrel! That slowed velocity, then they moved to higher weight bullets and loose more velocity! No one should be suprised performance went down the shitter.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Allow me to be a little blunt - - -> If a MAN in the military cannot train with,carry,or properly use in combat,a M14/M1A,a M60,or a Colt 1911 chambered in 45ACP,they are a pussy boy. Send them back home to live with their mommies.
    If a female cannot do the above,make her a concubine. THERE . . . problem solved. Your welcome. --- SAWMAN

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a guy on our base hit in the thigh with a 5.56 and it blew his ass cheek off. Had another guy hit in around the same area with a 7.62 and the trauma was significantly less.

I worked with trauma and vascular surgeons at Baptist Hospital until this year when I transferred to Jay for a little break. The trauma surgeons and vascular surgeons all agreed when I asked which was easier to repair: 5.56 wound, or the same wound from a 7.62.

They all said the temporary cavitation and splintering from the 5.56 put it in a much harder category on the operating table than the 7.62.

As far as the 6.8, I don't know. I never asked them that. I doubt many (or any) of them had dealt with that one.

The 5.56 doesn't "suck", no matter how much some of you wish it did.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Allow me to be a little blunt - - -> If a MAN in the military cannot train with,carry,or properly use in combat,a M14/M1A,a M60,or a Colt 1911 chambered in 45ACP,they are a pussy boy. Send them back home to live with their mommies.
    If a female cannot do the above,make her a concubine. THERE . . . problem solved. Your welcome. --- SAWMAN

Damn , Saw I think you just piss off most women and three quarters of the liberal bed wetters in one post . :thumb:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Lots of talk about how the 6.8X shines but little mention of it drawbacks. Love the quotes talking about how great it is but doesn't give you any context. You can't get something for nothing. Let's spend tons of money/time building a rifle for that war we've been fighting instead of using tactics to play to what we've got. Let's get that rifle fielded only to find out in the urban areas and jungles of the next war that it's too much. Then lets do another study to figure out what would work best in those arenas.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lots of talk about how the 6.8X shines but little mention of it drawbacks. Love the quotes talking about how great it is but doesn't give you any context. You can't get something for nothing. Let's spend tons of money/time building a rifle for that war we've been fighting instead of using tactics to play to what we've got. Let's get that rifle fielded only to find out in the urban areas and jungles of the next war that it's too much. Then lets do another study to figure out what would work best in those arenas.

Right off the bat, I can tell you it takes up more space and is heavier.

I ended up with 240 rounds of 5.56 and 10 mags I trusted, hung off the front of a MTV that I lived in 12+ hours a day. About the last thing I’d want was too add a couple pounds to my gear, (that didn’t explode/see at night/better stop bullets). Keeping in mind the only time we walked anywhere was to or from a LZ or work sight, and we didn’t have to lug machine gun ammo, spare barrels, radios etc.

That’s just IMO, of course. Keeping in mind I was just at 6’ when I arrived at Parris Island, and was 5’10(and a half) first weigh in after deployment. I would prefer to see the military find ways to reduce weight not add to it.

I’ve also seen the army say they want 45 and 40, to then adopt a 9mm sig.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A lot of hype in those articles, lets look at one: "The goal, Norman said, is to equip soldiers with rifles that fire "a small bullet at the pressure equivalent to what a tank would fire." Specifically, what "Tank" and what gun are they referring to? An M1A with its Main 120mm tube (muzzle velocity 5200 to 5700 fps) or the mounted .50 cal M2 (2910 fps). The 6.8 avg is 2600 fps.

Chamber pressures:
    6.8 pressure 55,000 psi
    .50 cal Ball 55,000 psi
    M1A 120mm 81,200 psi

The hype says "pressure equivalent to what a Tank would fire" so the common interpretation would be the Main tube not the secondary armament MG. A sound bite: "pressure equivalent to a machine gun" just doesn't have the same shock/auw.

Smoke and mirrors folks!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well lets talk hogs, not stationary but eradication, on the run animals. The 556 is too light and does not slow them down, period...that is why almost all eradicators use the 6.8 or 308, stopping power, slow them down for a second shot just much better performance instead of 4-6 with the 556...that IS the idea in combat. For killing the 6.8 is much better than the 556, very effective, commercially available, many different types of ammo and plenty of it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well lets talk hogs, not stationary but eradication, on the run animals. The 556 is too light and does not slow them down, period...that is why almost all eradicators use the 6.8 or 308, stopping power, slow them down for a second shot just much better performance instead of 4-6 with the 556...that IS the idea in combat. For killing the 6.8 is much better than the 556, very effective, commercially available, many different types of ammo and plenty of it.
    The military normally uses FMJ. How does the 6.8 vs 5.56 compare at say 30 yards. Also how controllable on FA is 6.8 vs 5.56. As a civilian I have chosen the 6.5 g.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because using antiquated shit makes them a stud.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

THE REASON 6.8 WILL NEVER HAPPEN...
    Dems are now in charge of the House Apropriations Committee as of Jan 1...and they don't want OUR troops to actually be effective!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Poo on out troops folks. It's the new world order and NATO that will dictate to us where,when,and how many will fight and die for a quart of crude.
    Bring 'em home from most everywhere. Tell Japan to defend themselves. Tell Ping Pong Dong in N. Korea that we will nuke him if he invades the south,and bring 2/3rds of those troops home. Build a huge,high wall,make the Mexicans pay for it like Mr. Trump promised me over and over again. Deport the bad ones,keep the good ones with even just a little trade skill to do the jobs that the lazy assed Americans refuse to do because they get too much welfare . . . and there . . . most problems solved . . . AND . . . before breakfast. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    THE REASON 6.8 WILL NEVER HAPPEN...
    Dems are now in charge of the House Apropriations Committee as of Jan 1...and they don't want OUR troops to actually be effective!!

You may be right but it is already being used in select units and foreign govts

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Frank, the 6.8 that we are talking about here IS NOT the 6.8SPC. It has be talked about as a .277" (6.8mm) bore size only. No info as to the brass size/chamber deminsions of the project "to nowhere".
    As stated,IMO the US military will never see this come to pass.--- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Frank, the 6.8 that we are talking about here IS NOT the 6.8SPC. It has be talked about as a .277" (6.8mm) bore size only. No info as to the brass size/chamber deminsions of the project "to nowhere".

as of yet, yep I know but there are current units using the 6.8SPCII at this time. There will be a decision whether to continue or modify the specs

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Do are they talking about a modernized 7x57mm . By modernized, a shorter case with a smaller capacity case working at higher pressures to obtain decent velocities.

Adoption would mean new rifle contracts and also contracts for related items. Sounds like something the DoD contractor lobbyists would love. We are talking about a new receiver since the old AR15 receiver would likely not handle what they are looking at.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Here is what I think - - -> Some 23 year old with a masters degree in ballistics,that doesn't hunt,or even shoot had a dream one night. In his dream he was king of the world and at some point someone asked him if he absolutely had to pick a caliber to replace the one being used today what would his choice be.
    He spouted out ".277" and there started the rumor. A sick joke.
    Nobody in our military has used,is using,or will ever use a chambering with a .277" bore. Daz zit. --- SAWMAN
    FOR ME - -> CALIBER is the size of the hole in the end of the barrel.
    CHAMBERING is what goes into the weapons chamber (at the other
    end of the barrel)

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Caliber fight! Caliber fight! Ahhhhh.

I can just smell the 90's. Let me see . . . then . . the 45acp too big, 9mm too puny. 40 caliber just right. Now,. . . . 7.62 too big. .556 too puny. 6.8 just right.

Top Bottom