DK Firearms

What is an Alternative to Cox Internet service ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    No, you can't get cox over here. I'm behind Locklin vo-tech. I forgot to say that I have had ATT uverse for 6 or 7 years now. You have to ask for retention or customer loyalty. My price has been stable, even received extra channels. And I don't have any problems with reception. I used to have buffering problems online, till I got fiber optic installed and they reduced my price by $30.00. Just made this new deal with them about two weeks ago.

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    time

My only complaint is having to call them once a year and go thru the threats of leaving. They informed me that that is due to FCC regulations, so I still have to bitch once a year.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, you can't get cox over here. I'm behind Locklin vo-tech. I forgot to say that I have had ATT uverse for 6 or 7 years now. You have to ask for retention or customer loyalty. My price has been stable, even received extra channels. And I don't have any problems with reception. I used to have buffering problems online, till I got fiber optic installed and they reduced my price by $30.00. Just made this new deal with them about two weeks ago.

I just went through the same thing with AT&T. It was nice getting my bill dropped by over $100. They say my neighborhood is getting FO next. They're installing it in the neighborhood next to me right now. Those homes are about $100k more than my neighborhood, so I guess they get priority.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife worked for mediacom for over 8 years so for all that time we had their cable and internet. Was great, had just about everything you could want and spent like $25 monthly! The service was great also. In all that time never had to have a service man to the house. If it ever went out was VERY brief and probably less than a dozen times over all those years.
    Earlier this year my wife had a major health problem and can no longer work. She was out on disability hoping she would go back but eventually mediacom said she had to either come back or quit so she quit.
    Our bill immediately went up to about $250 and with her not working we were not going to do that. Started looking for new plans and got a very good deal with AT&T, internet, u-verse tv with lots of channels etc. It's been in our house for less than 3 months and have had the service people here at least 6 times. So far their service sucks, can't go 2 days without it cutting out, sometimes for a few minutes, other times for longer, once until the next day when the service man came (I think that was the 5th time someone was here). That time he switched the port at the main box, worked great for 2 days... They were back again today, ran a new line from the pole to the house (which was done when we first had the service installed) and replaced some connections, lets see how it goes now. I'm about ready to settle for a much smaller package and go back to mediacom just to have a tv and internet I can depend on. At this point I can't recommend AT&T to anyone, lets see if it gets better.

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Do you have copper wire or have you upgraded to fiber optic. They run it along the road first, then you have to have the FO run in your house. If you have copper, you have trash connections.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Copper, I'll probably be long gone before they run FO down here!

But, mediacom was copper too and no problems so I'm not giving AT&T a pass for that...

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got Uverse, Fiber Optic, and it's definitely fast enough to play all the games I want.
    But my wife picked out a lousy plan, and did it for 2 years, so we're locked into that
    until it expires. Freaking annoys me that kids channels are Premiums
    at Cox and Uverse...I'd rather have Basic Internet, Local & kids channels, and that's it.

Totally wish they'd allow folks go to Ala Carte,
    I'd have about 25 channels instead of hundreds.
    Kids, AMC, History, Military History, a few old movie channels,
    and that's it. Altho when GOT starts back up, I'd pony up for HBO ;)

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Copper, I'll probably be long gone before they run FO down here!

But, mediacom was copper too and no problems so I'm not giving AT&T a pass for that...

There is a tremendous difference in copper & fiber optic, so if you don't have it and haven't tried it, you don't know the difference. ATT does get a pass for fiber optic. It's much better.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ATT copper is not on par with Cox cable for the simple fact it runs over a small copper phone line pair vs a thick Coax cable for Cox. There is no way ATT can compete with Cox over copper, Fiber is the cream of the crop and where ATT will win out in the end. In the meantime Verizon is starting to roll out their 5G wireless service which if it's reliable could be better than them all!

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Thanks for explaining what I couldn't.

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had cox internet since it became available in my area. The service has been good and the speed is fast enough.

We ditched cable tv when they began requiring a box just to watch local stations. We also got rid of land line phones several years ago.

We have Verizon for cell service and pay for unlimited data. Yeah, i know they can or will throttle the speed from time to time, but i haven't noticed any issues. I also use my phone as a hotspot fairly regularly and it is ok.

So ive been thinking of dropping cox internet in favor of just using Verizon's service on my phone. Probably be cheaper than both even if I had to upgrade to prevent throttling of speed from time to time.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like having two providers for phone. A land line from Uverse att and verizon service from tracfone. Uverse, during storms goes down and fails every so often for no apparent reason for anywhere from a few minutes to hours.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Two of the worse companies that I had to deal with when I was involved in contract oversight in my previous career, in order, were AT&T and Mediacom. It took me several months to get AT&T to close out a contract where they were owed over $25K for services rendered, five years before. Worse customer support and business operation I ever dealt with hands down!

I hope I NEVER get into a position to have to deal with either personally!

I have been on Cox broadband, no cable TV, and a HD OTA antenna for several years. Between that and streaming media from various sources, I am content and have one low monthly bill.

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    My bill for U-verse (200+ channels) and 100mghz cable is $92.00 total. I don't lose signal. My neighbor who has Mediacom was out of service the other day for 18hrs. That's more than I've been out of ATT in the last six or seven years. Like I said, the FO is the tits!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Cell hot spot for internet is much much slower than cox provides, that is why I did not do that

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a tremendous difference in copper & fiber optic, so if you don't have it and haven't tried it, you don't know the difference. ATT does get a pass for fiber optic. It's much better.

There was 'buzz' a couple years ago about requiring cable providers to provide a la carte options, but I knew as soon as I heard about it that it was nothing. All these companies have pooled resources to pay the finest lobbyists in Washington.

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How come no one complains that gas is not the same price that it used to be 15 to 20 years ago? Heck its not even as good of gas as we used to get that long ago, yet we go and fill up with it and no one says much about it. I can tell you that at least with your internet service it has gotten faster in the last 15 years. 15 years ago it may have only been $50 a month for service but your speeds were 7 down and 3 up. Today that same package is $65 a month and the speeds are 120 down and 10 up. Yes the price has gone up but you also are getting more for your money. There have been more times then not that the speed increased and the price did not.

AT&T, and Hughes Net (satellite), or a hotspot from your cell provider are your other options right now that offer internet for your home as well. wanted to make sure I answered the original questions as well.

Last edited:

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How come no one complains that gas is not the same price that it used to be 15 to 20 years ago? Heck its not even as good of gas as we used to get that long ago, yet we go and fill up with it and no one says much about it. I can tell you that at least with your internet service it has gotten faster in the last 15 years. 15 years ago it may have only been $50 a month for service but your speeds were 7 down and 3 up. Today that same package is $65 a month and the speeds are 120 down and 10 up. Yes the price has gone up but you also are getting more for your money. There have been more times then not that the speed increased and the price did not.

AT&T, and Hughes Net (satellite), or a hotspot from your cell provider are your other options right now that offer internet for your home as well. wanted to make sure I answered the original questions as well.

A few thoughts on that....Gas is a necessity, Internet/TV is more of a luxury. So when looking to trim a personal budget, gas ain't an option(assuming you work), but internet and TV are. So there's no use complaining about gas unless you go buy an electric car.

Also, when it comes to gas, there's tons of choices out there. But the way cable companies divide up territories, it essentially makes the companies a monopoly within their territory. I find that highly disturbing. Thanks to AT&T and Satellite services there are a few more choices, but it's still a monopoly as far as cable is concerned. For me personally, my only cable choice out here is a well documented shitty company. Lots of service interruptions, with awful customer service. But since they essentially have a monopoly, they can continue being a shitty company and no one can do anything about it. Which is why I have to call AT&T every year to get a decently priced plan. It's a hassle but it's worth it. Competition is what drives a market, and forces companies to become better. My hats off to AT&T and Satellite providers for challenging the cable companies, and offering alternatives.

Sorry for the rant on cable companies and economics. Just my 2 cents.

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few thoughts on that....Gas is a necessity, Internet/TV is more of a luxury. So when looking to trim a personal budget, gas ain't an option(assuming you work), but internet and TV are. So there's no use complaining about gas unless you go buy an electric car.

Sorry for the rant on cable companies and economics. Just my 2 cents.

I think you missed my point on the gas. You are getting the same product you were 60 years ago but paying 200% more for it. And although you think it’s a necessity there are other options, a bike, or public transportation. Sell the big SUV or truck (I own a Navigator) and consume less that would help the budget out. And there really is no competition in gas either. I would not say .01-.08 form station to station is saving a bunch of money. I would also say that the internet is a necessity. Go 1 week without it, in today’s age that can not be done unless you live off the grid and pay cash for everything.

Sorry I take it to heart when cable comes up... it’s been my income for the last 13 years, and will be till I retire in 30 more years. So I do everything I can to make people happy with their Cox service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think you missed my point on the gas. You are getting the same product you were 60 years ago but paying 200% more for it. And although you think it’s a necessity there are other options, a bike, or public transportation. Sell the big SUV or truck (I own a Navigator) and consume less that would help the budget out. And there really is no competition in gas either. I would not say .01-.08 form station to station is saving a bunch of money. I would also say that the internet is a necessity. Go 1 week without it, in today’s age that can not be done unless you live off the grid and pay cash for everything.

Sorry I take it to heart when cable comes up... it’s been my income for the last 13 years, and will be till I retire in 30 more years. So I do everything I can to make people happy with their Cox service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant no offense to you or your company. My issues are with the industry itself, and the economics surrounding it. Competition results in competitive pricing and service.

If gas was like the cable industry, and there was only one provider here in Baldwin County I'd probably be paying $5/gallon, because who could challenge them.

Top Bottom