Patriot Mobile

New Chinese 5.8x42 assault rifle cartridge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many years ago the US adopted a high velocity 6mm lee navy cartridge. Looks like the chinese have adopted something similar for their infantry carbines

Troops with latest Chinese assault carbine
    chinese new weapons.jpg

The standard loading features a 64-grain FMJBT projectile with a 22.6-grain AP core loaded into a copper washed steel case. The overall cartridge length is 58mm, case length is 42.2mm, and the projectile is 24.2mm long. The cartridge case somewhat resembles the Russian 5.45x39 in that it is tapered; however, the case neck is shorter. It bears no outward resemblance to the 5.56x45. While straightwall cases like the 5.56 are inherently more accurate, tapered cases aid feeding and extraction. The projectile also exhibits a substantial sectional density, although not as great as that of the 5.45x39. Muzzle velocity from the Type 95’s 18.2-inch barrel is 3,050 fps. Out of the Type 95 Squad Auto’s 21.9-inch barrel it clocks 3,182 fps. The Chinese have tested their new cartridge extensively against both the 5.56x45 SS109 and the Russian 5.45x39 7N6. They claim their 5.8x42mm outperforms both cartridges with penetration superior to the SS109, a flatter trajectory, and a higher retained velocity and energy downrange. http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2321
    5f178968-a8fd-42a4-a9d9-5b3d47e477dbChinese new rife type 95.jpg
    The ballistics of the 6mm lee navy are not so different. The lee seems to have been a little larger in diameter.
    Bullet diameter 0.244 (0.236 dia. before rifling)
    112gr (7.3g) (military loading) 2,560 ft/s (780 m/s) 1,629 ft⋅lbf (2,209 J)

Attachments

• chinese new weapons.jpg
      chinese new weapons.jpg
      2.4 KB · Views: 574
    • 5f178968-a8fd-42a4-a9d9-5b3d47e477dbChinese new rife type 95.jpg
      5f178968-a8fd-42a4-a9d9-5b3d47e477dbChinese new rife type 95.jpg
      157.7 KB · Views: 605
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    The Chinese Type 95 (QBZ95) 5.8x42mm Assault Rifle is operational with the People's Liberation Army, Chinese People's Armed Police, Chinese para-military police and People's Liberation Army Special Operations Forces. The QBZ-95 or Type 95 assault rifle has been developed in China. It is an entirely new and modern family of weapons, which uses newly developed Chinese ammunition. This assault rifle has been designed to replace the ageing Type 81. The QBZ-95 was first adopted by the PLA elite units, however soon after it became the standard issue infantry rifle with the Chinese army, armed police and other law enforcement forces. This assault rifle was first observed in 1997. I first knew of its existence around 2004 from an article I read in Soldier of Fortune magazine. This cartridge had been developed in the late 1980s.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of the chinese rifles in semi-auto civilian mode in 5.56x45 are being sold in canada. I do not think any of these were type 95's. i was more interested in the cartridge since it seems well thought out. The US in one study decide a 6x45 mm would an ideal cartridge, that idea never was going to be.
    The 5.8x42mm would be a nice round for the AR15 if its length is ok, but it does seem a little longer. The head of 5.8 may also be too big for bolt also.

2cbc7182569c44e9e1e45d4b538e3f053b16e52d8e773ff38c6d5dbd63e3675c.jpg
    Was much longer and used the less powerful early smokeless powders. It was likely used in China by US Marines
    6 lee navy.jpg

The China Marines > Personalities > Portraits
    1899-1901. Hong Kong photographic studio. These three Boxer-era seagoing Marines are armed with 1895 Winchester-Lee rifles. http://chinamarine.org/Personalities/Portraits.aspx

boxermar.jpg

Attachments

• 2cbc7182569c44e9e1e45d4b538e3f053b16e52d8e773ff38c6d5dbd63e3675c.jpg
      2cbc7182569c44e9e1e45d4b538e3f053b16e52d8e773ff38c6d5dbd63e3675c.jpg
      31.3 KB · Views: 4,881
    • 6 lee navy.jpg
      6 lee navy.jpg
      89.4 KB · Views: 1,343
    • boxermar.jpg
      boxermar.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 749

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A whole bunch of sloppy bouncing/banging of the piston rod/charging handle parts against the open top channel it runs in. I wouldn't call it operator friendly either, not that the Chinese care. I'm glad that's what they issue. Lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A whole bunch of sloppy bouncing/banging of the piston rod/charging handle parts against the open top channel it runs in. I wouldn't call it operator friendly either, not that the Chinese care. I'm glad that's what they issue. Lol
    An even worse gun

Comments from China of the video for the SMG
    Michael Lin 1 hour ago (edited)
    As a Chinese, I can tell you honestly that this SMG and its big brother the Type-97(or QBZ-95, that's the name of the 5.8mm version of what the Chinese military and police are using) receive a bad reputation even in China due to their terrible reliability and build quality and very poor ability to customize or put accessories on. The main reason why China designed the Type-95 gun family(there is also a 5.8mm Type-95 LMG) is to give the Chinese military a more modern look and show it to the world at the 1999 national day military parade which was held to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Republic of China. So it was more of a political mission to design a new modern looking weapon and replace the old Type-81 rifle with it. (The Type-81 rifle is still being used in the military because its very reliable and there are simply too many complains about the QBZ-95 from the soldiers, especially from those who fought in the China-Vietnam War, they had a lot of experiences with the Type-81 and weren't happy about the poor performance of the QBZ-95. (yes China also had a war with Vietnam in the 80s and 90s, the reason why not many paople knows it's because some political reasons and technically China didn't do any better than what American did in the 60s and 80s.).....so Chinese military is not fully equipped with the QBZ-95 untill the improved model QBZ-95-1 came out in 2010.(BTW, still pretty bad). China is working on the next gen rifle now, in 2016 China unveiled the NAR-17 rifle at the 2016 China Air Show and even showed a new version at the 2018 China Air Show months ago, which I personally think just a cheap rip off version of the ACR. I hope you can review the Chinese QBU-88 semi auto sniper rifle, the accuracy of that rifle is so bad that the gun fans in China call it the "Type 88 anti hostage shotgun", became a Chinese SWAT killed the hostage with the gun due to its terrible accuracy which is simply too pathetic to be called a sniper rifle.

Michael Lin 16 minutes ago
    @J Helmut Chinese military industry has its strength in some certain areas but definitely not in designing guns. Some Chinese elite special forces use AR-15 rifles instead of the QBZ-95 (Most of the Chinese special forces still using modified QBZ-95). And Chinese police in Xinjiang province and some SWAT teams in large cities recently purchased Glock pistols to replace the incredibly unreliable QSZ-92 5.8mm pistols which fire the same ammo as the Chinese version of the SMG in this video. Chinese original designed small firearms maybe a joke, but China is really good at making cheap rip off versions of foreign weapons, especially AKs, because Chinese military used to massively equipped with the Type-56 SMG, (the Chinese version of the AK, and weirdly it was categorized as SMG).

Michael Lin 6 minutes ago
    @Siloseea Irenicus Actually Hong Kong police force mainly use imported weapons like MP5 and AR-15s, those are the main weapons of Hong Kong SWAT. But Chinese military in Hong Kong does use QBZ-95 rifles as main weapon. The main reason why QBZ-95 look like that is because it looks original and futuristic and can give the Chinese military a fresh look while telling the western countries that we have the ability to design advanced weapons. Sorry for replying so slowly, my English is not very good and my VPN connection is not ve

Cheng Kane 6 minutes ago
    Mostly accurate except one small detail, the poor hostage got shot by Type 88 didn't die though, he was lucky (or unlucky) enough that the round went in his left cheek and came out from the right. I know this because it happened in my city (Nanjing).

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as mil issue small arms go, there are always some better and some worse. I definitely prefer that any potential adversary of the U.S. have a lower quality, poor design, worse accuracy and user "unfriendly" characteristics. All these things become advantages for us in the trenches. Thats just a starting point, when they hit the actual combat/environmental conditions: things normally get worse. The German H&K G36 has major heat/accuracy problems causing it to be replaced.

Top Bottom