• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not too sure if this news was out there, I saw it in Marine Corps Times and will leave a few links below. Im a retired Mariene aviation maintainer as a structural mechanic. While my Marine Corps time was on the CH-53E helo, ever since I retired 14 yrs ago, I have worked on USAF AFSOC C-130's at Hurlbert Field. So this hit close to home on a few counts. Im saddend to say that the system failed those servicemen on this accident, as the top C-130 depot at Robins AFB dropped the ball, mostly civil servants. The Marine reserve unit was another clown show based on the report. Hopefully another chapter of "MCLS" (Marine Coprs lessons learned), NATOPS and a few others has been written in blood so others may live...

The article
    https://www.militarytimes.com/2018/12/05/investigation-blames-air-force-and-navy-for-systemic-failures-in-fatal-marine-corps-c-130-crash-that-killed-16/

The Marine Corps JAGMAN Mishap report
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.militarytimes.com/assets/public-release-command-investigation-report-yanky-72-redacted.pdf

Animation vid of the KC-130 accident
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjyGJO7Qm0

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for posting this. I got this article in a defense newsletter at work but was too busy to read it and so confused it with the WC-130 that went down in 2018. I see this was the KC-130 that went down in 2017.

Every commander involved in both accidents should have been relieved of duty by now. Only a bad command environment can lead to this widespread incompetence and lack of sense of duty.

Shout out to C-130 maintainers all around however, because I've ridden on more than a few, especially around the middle east, and aside from the occasional commanded engine shutdown never experienced an incident.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow never saw that information before. The wreckage landed mostly on a farm of a good friend. I was told it was pretty obvious what happened. The report confirms it

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for posting this. I got this article in a defense newsletter at work but was too busy to read it and so confused it with the WC-130 that went down in 2018. I see this was the KC-130 that went down in 2017.

Every commander involved in both accidents should have been relieved of duty by now. Only a bad command environment can lead to this widespread incompetence and lack of sense of duty.

Shout out to C-130 maintainers all around however, because I've ridden on more than a few, especially around the middle east, and aside from the occasional commanded engine shutdown never experienced an incident.

That WC-130 Puerto Rican National Guard airplane was a avoidable incident also, will post about it separately, that was was another maintenance failure at the squadron level....those guys should be going to jail.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do what I do the way I do it (and I've had to explain this to at least one superior) because someday, somewhere, some 18 year old's life is gonna depend on it. That's the reality. I don't know what these other people are doing.

There is a thread already on the Puerto Rican WC-130. It was lackadaisical maintenance, and an aircrew that should have been prevented from getting near the aircraft controls by the squadron or wing Stan/Eval. If there's ONE EP to have memorized, it would be "Loss of power on take-off".

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    These tragedies are cold reminders of how dangerous military aviation can be. Every single flight, there is a mountain of events that contribute to the success or failure of the mission. The professionalism and dedication required from everyone involved (ground maintenance through the aircrew) is mind-boggling.

These events are thankfully the "exception". The procedures we have in-place, like the various safety and accident investigation boards, plus QA/QC and Stan/Eval (when they're doing their job), are how we continually raise the bar and strive to do better.

Yeah, some heads should roll, no doubt.

Amongst other lessons, these should remind the general public that our military is in harm's way more than just "in combat". The "readiness" of our Force is dependent on proper funding, appropriate equipment and resources, and realistic tasking demands vs unit manning. Even the best troop will not perform to their peak if they are pulling extra shifts constantly, or the shop is under-manned as the "norm".

The days of "Do more with less" are in the past. Increased efficiency and patriotic-drive can only bridge a gap so far.
    I'm not making excuses for laziness, but I'm pointing out one contributing factor of many...

May God Bless the surviving families a little extra over the holidays.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That accident in particular is the direct result of the closing of NADEP at NAS Pensacola, 1993. They were the ones who maintained bladed props prior to Warner-Robbins AFB getting it in the name of "Consolidation" courtesy of Bill Freaking Clinton. Navy used to take care of Navy equipment. Looks like we're still having poopstorms courtesy of that Bleeper 25 years later.

Would have been nice if he had paid attention to important stuff instead of letting his handlers run the Military into the ground while he was busy boinking unpaid interns...
    president-clinton monica lweinsky.jpg

Attachments

• president-clinton monica lweinsky.jpg
      president-clinton monica lweinsky.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 156

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    seems like I've read somewhere that aviation is completely unforgiving of carelessness or neglect. Seems like a sound principle to me.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "This incident" was prop blade failure due to corrosion that was untreated and coated over at AF Depot facility in 2011. They can tract who was in charge at that time, and have a component record that travels with the part (included in aircraft record). That record will only have dates, type overhaul, and initials of QA and history of what aircraft it been installed on. The AF facility destroys in house records after two years so there was no specific record detailing the discrepancies, repairs, ispections or QA.

Is this not primarily a civilian work force (contract?) with minimal military oversight? Will they track down every "Commander" that has been assigned oversight/responsibility during periods these defective parts were cycled through until the problen was discovered? Workers identified, fired or reassigned? They may tag those personnel currently in place but those involved in 2011 will most likely be unscathed.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    "This incident" was prop blade failure due to corrosion that was untreated and coated over at AF Depot facility in 2011. They can tract who was in charge at that time, and have a component record that travels with the part (included in aircraft record). That record will only have dates, type overhaul, and initials of QA and history of what aircraft it been installed on. The AF facility destroys in house records after two years so there was no specific record detailing the discrepancies, repairs, ispections or QA.

Is this not primarily a civilian work force (contract?) with minimal military oversight? Will they track down every "Commander" that has been assigned oversight/responsibility during periods these defective parts were cycled through until the problen was discovered? Workers identified, fired or reassigned? They may tag those personnel currently in place but those involved in 2011 will most likely be unscathed.

I’ll give a crack at your questions....the prop blade in question was not repaired. It went through the whole process but since alodine from the anodize process was found in the intergranular corrosion, the blade went through all of the processes minus the removal of the corrosion. In layman’s terms as we in the fleet use to call the process, “paint and return” in a nutshell. Upon release from supply of the prop balde went to the unit, the RFI (ready for issue) tag would have current repair info; CDI/QA stamps dates as well as the SRC (Service Removal Card) which has the component history since new, to include all overhauls which would be maintained in the Maintenance Admin deptpartment; in the logs and records section for that aircraft. Only the RFI tag would have the info you seek...who did the work, who had a “second set of eyes”/ QA of said part, it’s tossed once the SRC card is updated int Maintenance admin if memory serves me correctly. That Prop shop as a whole is responsible. They had zero attention to detail, civil servants who get to go home every night and not have to fly on the aircraft that they repair parts for. I hope they all lost thier jobs, but I doubt it. Our current supervisor at LM on the C-130 ISO project I work on came from Robins around 18 months ago, he knows those folks that work that section...they were shut down, hopefully all made to retire as they are a protected bucnch, the civil servants. The Prop section is still shut down. These props in question are for legacy C-130’s, the new J-model C-130’s have composite props. While a USAF facility ‘repaired’ this prop, the Navy takes responsibility for lack of oversight allowing this process, or lack there of to happen, makes you wonder...

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think some of these issues can be attributed to reduced funding for the military in general over the years. Even now they continue to make cutbacks. I work as a defense contractor on Hurlburt and everyday it seems my company is asked to absorb the cost of things that in the past were funded by the Air Force. I know Trump has increased funding for the military but I just wonder how long it will take to actually be seen.

Top Bottom