• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjstone193

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My shoulder can't take much recoil anymore. I pretty much stick with.22's these days. I have a few marlins that I use mostly. Here's my question: is a 600.00 browning going to shoot more accurately than a marlin 60, or a Ruger 10/22?

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "NO", A "HOLE" is a "HOLE", no matter if coming out custom made weapon are whatever brand you shoot, just to find the "RIGHT AMMO" :rockon:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The $600 will buy you a pretty good 22. If you are limited to a 22,you deserve a good and accurate gun.
    Buy a bolt gun,put some good glass on it. Go out and shoot it. Ammo is pretty cheap nowadays. --- SAWMAN

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In general, the more you spend the better chance you have of getting a more accurate rifle. Take the Olympics or benchrest shooting, where accuracy is an obsession, those guys are using 22 rifles costing thousands of dollars. With that said, every so often all the parts come together and make an outstandingly accurate budget rifle.

I suppose you could ask yourself what do I want to do with the rifle and what makes me happy?

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I agree with most of the above, most of the rifles I own are more accurate than I am and some of them weren’t all that expensive.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A cz bolt gun with decent glass is all 99% of us need. Very accurate 22 rifles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My shoulder can't take much recoil anymore. I pretty much stick with.22's these days. I have a few marlins that I use mostly. Here's my question: is a 600.00 browning going to shoot more accurately than a marlin 60, or a Ruger 10/22?
    There are different types of 10/22s. The originals could be quite inaccurate. But can they be set up to be very accurate for competition with very light triggers.
    I do most of my shooting of .22s with a CZ452 since I am using very quiet CCI segmented ammo that intended for squirrel control for which a bolt gun is well suited.
    Below is a competition model from ruger. I have no knowledge as what these .22's semi autos will do.
    ruger 10_22.jpg

Attachments

• ruger 10_22.jpg
      ruger 10_22.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 436

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

To wring accuracy from a 22LR, you get to have fun trying different ammo to see what that gun "likes". Arguably, you'll shoot better groups using a single shot tray, fed consistent/match ammo that maximizes the capabilities of the rifle... vs a semi-auto mag-fed off-the-shelf firearm using bulk ammo. Bullet head deformity from being stripped from the mag, inconsistent ammo, barrel harmonics, etc, etc, etc.

But we're talking maybe insignificant changes, depending on your target, acceptable group size, etc.

Ask yourself what you like to shoot: bolt, lever, pump, revolver, or semi-auto? Then go from there. You could DIY-accurize a 10/22, or take out a loan for a turnkey competition rig. Both will destroy a soda can...

A tangible reality is that right now, 22LR ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced. Get experimenting, find your most-favored ammo, and start stocking up.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO...most .22 rifles have similar capability in terms of accuracy. As others have said, ammo can and will make a difference. Like many things, to get the upper echelon of accuracy, you would have to spend more money, maybe alot. I'd expect a 10/22 to shoot very similar to a Glenfield 60 and a Marlin 39A....my Marlin shoots slightly, and I mean slightly, better than my 10/22 with a custom bull target bbl. My M&P 15-22 is the least accurate of my .22 rifles and really the only one that I can say definitively that shoots less accurate than about everything else I've tried. CZ has a great reputation for accuracy though I don't own one so I can't compare for myself. Anyways, if I were staying in the low to mid-range in price I'd expect most rim fire rifles to shoot very similar overall.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aside from a fully customized ruger 10/22, the savage mark II .22 bolt action is the most accurate .22 I've shot. They're inexpensive and have cheap upgrades to make them even more accurate. A bolt action will always be more accurate than a semi auto so keep that in mind. Most factory guns will outshoot the shooter. This meaning they are more accurate than you can shoot without TONS of practice and ammo research. Check out 7MM 08 if you're wanting a super accurate gun with lower recoil.

bjstone193

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate the responses. I'd known about bolt guns being more accurate, but hadn't given it much thought until now. Semi autos are fun for plinking, but I'll get a bolt rifle to target shoot with .

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Take a (physical) look at that Kimber that blackhawkkid has up for sale.
    In a target,extremely accurate 22,you can't do much better than that.
    A whole bunch of BR-50 matches have be won with these guns. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    and remember every lot of .22 ammo can and generally will shoot differently no matter the weapon used.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lots from the same manufacturer do vary. The trouble is if you buy a large amount of ammo, you do not know until you shoot it if it accurate or not.
    The more expensive brands like Eley are likely to be more consistent I would think.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's the fat boys, dedicated target/bench rifles most folks wouldn't consider carrying afield.
    Then we have target/field rifles with fairly heavy barrels but a more friendly carry & field use stock.
    After that we have pretty standard configuration .22 LR rifles.

.22s Semi auto operation can be finicky based on ammo.
    All .22s can be finicky as to which bullet weight and velocity delivers optimal accuracy. You can test spendy match grade ammo but is that what your always going to use? Fint what is the most accurate and which one is good enough for most of you needs.

I think Sawman wrote a great Post on weighing, gauging and grouping .22LR from the same Lot. These "similar cartridges" will group better together!

Ballistic Coefficient (BC): yes, even with the diminutive .22LR it should be considered in the persuit of accuracy and terminal ballistics. I think 50 yard accuracy tests with a 22LR is a commonly used gun industry crutch. Generally a .22LR only drops 1-3 inches @ 75 yards and around 5 @ 100. We can easily compensate for drop but this is where BC makes a big difference. A 32gr BC is .076 and a 40gr is .149 almost 50/higher= better and delivers more energy (terminal balistics) @100 yards.

A bolt gun on average is more accurate, and easier to clean (bolt head, bore: done). Its a waste of money to spend big bucks on any target gun and buy match ammo if you don't clean it and keep the lead/copper/plating out of the bore. I've bought a few vintage .22s that looked like shot out smooth bore, found great rifling underneath 50 years on neglect!

Good glass. Is it worth the money to put good glass on a .22LR? If your serious about accuracy: yes but you don't need to go crazy. Its a tiny bullet/hole. The better the magnification and finer the crosshair: a fine POA will be achieved which should contribute to tighter groups. Its like targeting a coat button or somewhere centered on a coat. For a bolt/target rifle a fixed power scope with parallax adj works great and is much cheaper than a variable power scope. I use a old Weaver 10X, paid $40 used, works fine on varmints too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom