• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    bj, what will the primary use for this 22 be ??
    Hunting . . how and what ??
    Target . . how far and what degree of accuracy to be expected. IOW . . match winning,3 inches at 50yds,or somewhere in between ??
    Range . . general plinking with the grandkids ??
    If you get to the point of wanting extreme accuracy,you are welcome to use my headspace gauge on your ammo. --- SAWMAN

bjstone193

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks SAWMAN, I have lots to learn. I need schooling on the head space gauge, and how it's used.
    I'm pretty much set for .22 plinkers, and hunting rifles I think.
    I want to be able to do one inch groups at 50-75 yards.

I'd like to get that Kimber you mentioned, but need to sell a few guns to get
    The cash first. I don't want to waste anyone's time by looking without committing
    To buy. Everyone is really being helpful here, and I appreciate it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is my understanding that the chamber on the semiautos is more opened to better allow functioning. A target bolt gun can have a tighter more precise chamber. I have had 50 yard target shoots tell me that they never clean rifle barrel bore of their guns.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since starting this thread I've been reading, and now understand why match grade rifles are single shot.

Most...there are two under the Browning Price Point, made by Marlin, that are Match Grade.
    Err....make that 3....
    Marlin 2000 Biathelon (Blue Synthetic Stock) or 2000L (Laminate Stock)
    Bolt-action Olympic rifle.
    Make sure it comes with the Peep Sight. Preferrably with all the different globes & peeps.
    (half the time folks have lost all the extras and just have the one attached to the rifle)
    Produced in limited numbers (10,000) for the Olympics in the 90's.
    Oh, and they're a SINGLE shot unless the Biathelon Kit has been added, some by Marlin, some by Owners after the Original Purchase. Either way it adds value. Because then you can use Standard Marlin 7-rd, 10-rd, Ramline 15-rd, or the new 25-rd mags.
    wm_11266540.jpg

Marlin 7000T - has a variety of stocks...A Red/White/Blue laminate, a regular Laminate,
    and a Black Synthetic.
    It's a 795 with a heavy match barrel. took me literally 25+ years to find one locally ;)
    GEDC0024.JPG

And the third rascal...and slightly less expensive than the other two...
    Marlin 880SQ bolt-action.
    The 880SQ (not the regular 880) had the same Marlin 2000 barrel on a standard
    bolt-action setup...basically, the story goes that Marlin had a bunch of Model 2000
    barrels left over after they ran out of the Olympic stocks, so they put them in Regular
    Walnut Stocks and sold 'em...word got out fast, and they sold like hotcakes :)

All three of those can be found under $600 each, usually... ;)
    Hard part is actually finding one for sale!

Attachments

• GEDC0024.JPG
      GEDC0024.JPG
      663 KB · Views: 268
    • wm_11266540.jpg
      wm_11266540.jpg
      185.5 KB · Views: 248
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On semiauto for detachable magazines I always prefer ruger since that rotary magazine is quite reliable. Under the barrel mounted tubes are usually quite reliable also.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On semiauto for detachable magazines I always prefer ruger since that rotary magazine is quite reliable. Under the barrel mounted tubes are usually quite reliable also.

You oughta try the Most Ultimate Rotary Magazine...
    on the Calico M-100...100-rds of .22LR per mag!! :D
    1995 Calico.jpg

Oh...add your own hot chick ;)

Attachments

• 1995 Calico.jpg
      1995 Calico.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 300
    Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Viking, after reading your comment I realized I have a marlin 925m that I've never shot. Lol

You should probably go shoot it and see how accurate it is LOL! I'll have to look at what model bolt .22 I have, been a while since I've shot it. I don't get to shoot near as much as I use to when we had our Hunting Camp in Alabama.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A hundred rounds is great, so is the Model but if you have to remove the mag every few rounds to clear malfunctions its capacity is moot. Accuracy?

Why would one have to do that??
    As long as one winds the spring properly, they cycle just fine!
    The main thing is using GOOD QUALITY AMMO, and not those junk Remington Golden Bullets.
    And not Standard Velo ammo or Subsonic, but the appropriate High-Velocity ammo :)
    Works even better with Hyper Velo Stingers!

I find the carbine accuracy to be roughly equal to a 1022, which is in the Decent range.
    However, when used by a Spaceball, YMMV...
    65686_orig.jpg

And the 9mm version is the same way, properly wound spring, innards kept clean as an AR15, very light amounts of oil applied.
    CalicoZombieposter.jpg

Attachments

• CalicoZombieposter.jpg
      CalicoZombieposter.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 186
    • 65686_orig.jpg
      65686_orig.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 183

Bamajoey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks SAWMAN, I have lots to learn. I need schooling on the head space gauge, and how it's used.
    I'm pretty much set for .22 plinkers, and hunting rifles I think.
    I want to be able to do one inch groups at 50-75 yards.

I'd like to get that Kimber you mentioned, but need to sell a few guns to get
    The cash first. I don't want to waste anyone's time by looking without committing
    To buy. Everyone is really being helpful here, and I appreciate it.

If it is 1 inch groups at 50-75 yds you are after, most any decent .22 will do that with decent ammo. I have several CZ’s and all of them will do that and and better with good ammo. One is highly modified that will do 1/4-3/8 groups consistently with RWS R-50 ammo.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If it is 1 inch groups at 50-75 yds you are after, most any decent .22 will do that with decent ammo. I have several CZ’s and all of them will do that and and better with good ammo. One is highly modified that will do 1/4-3/8 groups consistently with RWS R-50 ammo.

The Marlin 925m he has should be able to accomplish that with good ammo! Maybe he's just itching to get another gun like all us gun guys are always itching to do! I have a list of guns I'd like, just don't have the funds right now to purchase them!

Last edited:

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If heavy recoil is a concern but you still want to reach out an hit targets what about the .17 HMR? I've hit birds out to 200yds with a bolt gun that shot the .17 round. There was no noticeable recoil from what I remember. Just a thought. I know this is mainly a .22 thread and don't want to throw it off course, but there are other options besides the trusty ole .22.

Top Bottom