• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I Keep a firearm in the truck. Gets pretty hot in the summer. Try to rotate out mags at the range. From a safety and reliability standpoint, how bad is it to leave ammo in a vehicle?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From personal experience I know that years of storage in an atic is very bad. Several weeks in a car I am not sure about. I suspect that some powders are more stable than others which does not help with an answer. Some lead bullets with lube can flow back into to the powder to cause problems during a two day trip by car.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't leave unsecured guns in the truck, they are generally on my person or brought in at evening. I have left one in my truck safe but I have to believe it is cooler there than left exposed

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't leave unsecured guns in the truck, they are generally on my person or brought in at evening. I have left one in my truck safe but I have to believe it is cooler there than left exposed
    Many work places will allow one to leave their gun in the car, but will not allow it in the work place. So I assume this is one reason for leaving a gun in a car. The other is some believe in the trunk rifle. That is if in trouble you use your pistol to fight your way to your rifle. Me if I can make to the car I will most likely leave and not return to the fight. The big no no for me is that the gun could get stolen. I hope to some day to obtain a pistol ar in 300 black out to use with full loads. That might make convenient weapon to carry in a vehicle. But for now just thinking about it only.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I leave both 357Sig ammo ( Hornady 147gr XTP) and M193 in loaded mags in my white truck pretty much all the time. Summer and winter.
    My truck has vent visors and all 4 windows stay down about an inch. --- SAWMAN

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

Comes in at night. Locked in truck on jobsite. I just physically can't carry it while on the job even moreso in the summer. I'm out in the heat and I look like I jumped out of a river from about 930am on. Lol

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Comes in at night. Locked in truck on jobsite. I just physically can't carry it while on the job even moreso in the summer. I'm out in the heat and I look like I jumped out of a river from about 930am on. Lol

Got it, I don't work so do not have that problem...for $25 I installed a safe in the truck and put my weapon and extra mag in there where I cannot carry...never hot when I take it out, stays cool and secure

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Factory answer: Store your ammo in a cool dry location. Lol.

The age of the vehicle rifle rack has been rendered pretty well extinct for civs, with few exceptions. Therefore, firearms in vehicles are not normally exposed to direct sunlight for long periods. Your steering wheel may get extremely hot from direct exposure but not items encased or in the shadows. Encased items heat and cool slower (varies by degree of insulation). IMHO: if not in direct sunlight; ammo will not gett hot enough to change POI. First link is a vid car direct sunlight (90°+ air temp) verses car A/C exposed (1hour) ammo shot over a crono (73fps).

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=chronograph+cold+and+hot+ammo

An article on the issue:

https://americanconcealed.com/articles/firearm-safety/store-guns-ammo-in-hot-car/

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Over the years I have seen ammo subjected to all kind of environments. Extremes of heat and cold,saltwater and or salt air,different chemicals,completely immersed in water both salt and fresh,etc,etc.
    Most of the ammo has been military,with sealed primers (or not),and sealent around the mouth. Some with no sealent at all.
    Most of this ammo had made it through these environments and was still serviceable,although some . . . not extremely pretty.
    If any indicator - - -> at an NAS Weapons Dept. where I was stationed,we were tasked with destroying all the unwanted/unserviceable small arms ammo. Out in the EOD area we had a huge,thick walled tank that had a door cut in it. We would put several thousand rds of small arms ammo in it,stuff it with cardboard,dump in a couple gallons of diesel fuel,and light it on fire. It was amazing how long it would burn before the first rd cooked off. Much hotter than any "natural" environment. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over the years I have seen ammo subjected to all kind of environments. Extremes of heat and cold,saltwater and or salt air,different chemicals,completely immersed in water both salt and fresh,etc,etc.
    Most of the ammo has been military,with sealed primers (or not),and sealent around the mouth. Some with no sealent at all.
    Most of this ammo had made it through these environments and was still serviceable,although some . . . not extremely pretty.
    If any indicator - - -> at an NAS Weapons Dept. where I was ststioned,we were tasked with destroying all the unwanted/unserviceable small arms ammo. Out in the EOD area we had a huge,thick walled tank that had a door cut in it. We would put several thousand rds of small arms ammo in it,stuff it with cardboard,dump in a couple gallons of diesel fuel,and light it on fire. It was amazing how long it would burn before the first rd cooked off. Much hotter than any "natural" environment. ---- SAWMAN
    The cook off temperature of ammo is not identical with temperatures that cause slow degradation over time. Old name for what used to be used for destruction of small arms munitions: 'popping oven'.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am retired and do a lot of outside work on my place, on my place i carry semi-concealed. I use a bandoleer holster under an open work shirt. I am completely soaked in sweat. I wear a shirt, long pants, and brimmed hat tpo deal with brush and some protection against yellow jackets and leggings when appropriate for water moccasins. If attacked by yellow jackets as you run from the nest they tend to accumulate on the sweat soaked clothing. You shed the clothing as you flee. I have showed up at my house naked on occasion and only a couple of stings. If you hang around a disturbed nest you can get stung many times and even get killed.
    A pistol is not a defense against those devils, heavy clothing and fleeing is.
    I had to wash out my bandoleer holster on a coupe of occasions since it started to smell badly. I also ended up carrying a j frame in my pocket to kill water moccasins during the warmer mouths. Since they took out an old nearby the bridge the number of water moccasins has declined this year. I am clearing the brush and trees away which also helps with moccasins.
    bandoleer holster
    bandoleer.jpg

Attachments

• bandoleer.jpg
      bandoleer.jpg
      140.9 KB · Views: 108

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i keep 500+ rounds behind the seat...never can tell when a training event will break out :)

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am retired and do a lot of outside work on my place, on my place i carry semi-concealed. I use a bandoleer holster under an open work shirt. I am completely soaked in sweat. .........

I'm out and about most days, more time off my property so IWB CC. SWEAT, rain, humidity, salt spray, is a constant problem on your gear. Even an OWB setup can still make contact with wicked moisture. It doesn't take many days of neglect for corrosion or rot to start. I think the best way to minimize daily maintenance is to minimize what is affected by sweat. Kydex holsters (mine have no metal hardware), wash & wear no drying time. Handgun: Poly framed, less metal, no grip panels to remove. Since this is daily maintenance, I don't need high speed low drag lube. Wipe off crud, spray metal with WD-40 as it displaces moisture, flushes away grit (a lot of saw dust recently. Lol) then let it sit/drain off. Wipe off excess, punch bore. I wipe the internal rails with a greasy patch I reuse then assemble. I don't need gun cleaning solvents as I'm not removing carbon/powder or old lube. Five minutes (+-): done.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm out and about most days, more time off my property so IWB CC. SWEAT, rain, humidity, salt spray, is a constant problem on your gear. Even an OWB setup can still make contact with wicked moisture. It doesn't take many days of neglect for corrosion or rot to start. I think the best way to minimize daily maintenance is to minimize what is affected by sweat. Kydex holsters (mine have no metal hardware), wash & wear no drying time. Handgun: Poly framed, less metal, no grip panels to remove. Since this is daily maintenance, I don't need high speed low drag lube. Wipe off crud, spray metal with WD-40 as it displaces moisture, flushes away grit (a lot of saw dust recently. Lol) then let it sit/drain off. Wipe off excess, punch bore. I wipe the internal rails with a greasy patch I reuse then assemble. I don't need gun cleaning solvents as I'm not removing carbon/powder or old lube. Five minutes (+-): done.
    Kydex holsters if they are thick hurt if you bang into to something. But they do protect the gun. The fabric type holsters upon rough usage do on occasion result in the mag release getting pressed say when lifting thick, long logs for example if they press the gun against the chest for a bandoleer holster. There are trade offs. For rough usage needs more positive retention than what is provided by the pressure hold of most kydex holsters. A LEO once showed me his retention holster, but that is a mechanism of some sort and I am not sure how well it holds up to being drenched in sweat.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I learned a "Welcome to Florida" lesson when noticed rust in the rear sight groove (stock plastic sight) on my CC G23. Upon further insp I found two of the imbedded stainless steel rails in the frame were rusted! Cleaned the rust and found pretty good pitting underneath. Rust was only on the top of the rails, the rest was clean, no corresponding corrosion on the slide.

I just don't like thick IWB holsters. Hence, no mounting plates/hardware for me. I'm fairly thin but still don't need any cushion between my body and the handgun.

Truck guns in cases that can absorb/hold moisture need to be checked too. Treat guns and air out cases.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom