• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those more experienced gentlemen who have hunted or have intimate knowledge of the Blackwater area, mind if I ask you to interpret these awesome rules for general gun season?

Here are the regs for gun season in Still Hunt areas:

General Gun Still Season:
    November 22-25 and December 15 through February 6 (Still Hunt Area, except in the Field Trial Area).

December 31 through January 13 (Dog Hunt Area).

Permit, Stamp and License Requirements - Quota permit (if hunting November 22-25, December 15-23 or January 21 through February 6), hunting license, management area permit, deer permit (if hunting deer), migratory bird permit (if hunting migratory birds) and state waterfowl permit and federal duck stamp (if hunting waterfowl).

Legal to Hunt - Deer with at least 1 antler having 3 or more points (each point 1-inch or more in length) OR a main beam length of 10 inches or more, antlerless deer by antlerless deer permit only (each antlerless deer permit allows the take of only 1 doe or 1 buck with antlers less than 5 inches in length, but not spotted fawn), wild hog, gray squirrel, quail, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, armadillo, beaver, coyote, skunk, nutria and migratory birds in season. Bobcat and otter beginning December 15.

So, in the bold area, am I correct to interpret that you need a quota permit if you are hunting with a rifle for the dates listed EXCEPT December 24-Jan 20 when you are able to hunt without a quota permit? I have a buddy that has scouted a few areas and has his stand up. He is wanting to take me out, but I want to be sure I am hitting the right dates or permit requirements. Thanks for any input!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This ^^^^^ is one of the reasons that I stopped hunting the WMA's.
    Some others are: no baiting,dog hunters,theft of property,some hunters feel that they "own" a certain area,etc,etc.
    Suggest that you join a club . . . one that the property is not owned by IP and managed by RMS. --- SAWMAN

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman - words of wisdom. I actually have private property I hunt at my leisure so this is, by no means, my only option. This is more of an opportunity to hunt with a fellow hunter with decades more experience than myself, so the cost and frustration of a wma is worth it to me. That is, if I'm even allowed to carry a rifle onto blackwater without breaking a rule or twelve.

Trust me, I have not had a WMA stamp in 2 years and it's been nice.... especially since deciphering the rules is no fun. Just looking to make sure I'm in the clear with rules and regulations.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes you are correct... they issue 1800 general gun quota, to limit the pressure during the first 2 weeks and last 2 weeks.

Hunting public land isn't for everyone. It takes some actual skill to kill one without a green field or corn feeder!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks John B. That's the clarity, and reasoning, I was looking for!!:thumb:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Keep in mind, anyone with the quota is allowed a guest as long as they print the guest permit!

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep in mind, anyone with the quota is allowed a guest as long as they print the guest permit!

Interesting. Would that still apply for a hunter that falls into the exempted category? As mentioned, decades more experience than myself. I don't see any provision for hunters that are exempt from licensing to have a guest since it states that a quota permit holder (host) may take a guest hunter by obtaining a guest permit. Thoughts? And thanks for point that out.

Top Bottom