• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Below are attached pictures of a damaged rifle length buffer I purchased as a surplus part in the 90's and it was not new. It is used now or was with a bear creek upper in 7.62x39 fired with russian steel case ammo. Not much more than a 100 rounds through the rifle. Gun I think is over gassed. Was necessary to add some tungsten wts for proper functioning with all magazines and to get 4-5 o'clock ejection. There were spacers, but the buffer was left a little loose inside since that is the way they are normally run.
    My solution
    Ordered new buffer tube. Will fill with normal soft spacers so tungsten wts do not slam into the ends of the buffer so hard. Gun is semiauto so bolt bounce which is the purpose of sliding wts is not an issue. It is only an issue for full auto weapons.

Before adding the tungsten wt with some magazines there were jams with one round in the chamber and a second stove pipe round still in the magazine. Not sure what was going on, but it was an interesting double feed for sure. The added mass stopped that and so I assumed that previously the bolt was going too fast.

Anyone with some wisdom or experiences to add.
    Hopefully the picture come out alright
    DSCF1590.JPG

InkedDSCF1588_LI Rifle length buffer 762 39.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1590.JPG
      DSCF1590.JPG
      234.5 KB · Views: 214
    • InkedDSCF1588_LI Rifle length buffer 762 39.jpg
      InkedDSCF1588_LI Rifle length buffer 762 39.jpg
      275 KB · Views: 216

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes have seen that had it happen to a couple some time back, brought better quality buffer, found one of the things was the metal was very thin compared to some others. Just my 5 cents jj

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes have seen that had it happen to a couple some time back, brought better quality buffer, found one of the things was the metal was very thin compared to some others. Just my 5 cents jj
    What I did notice was while the plug is thick, it is only bonded by a thin surface layer that seems to be some sort of weld. It was just not up the extra stress of hard recoil and the presence of three tungsten wts. It is something I will keep my eye on in the future.
    If for some reason buffers were not available I would likely pour molten lead into and then with a scale and drill remove lead until I have the wt right. I ordered the replacement tube from KAK and I have no idea if their stuff is any good. I also got a kit of wts, bumpers, pins, and spacers with it.
    Right now I am learning the AR system having been previously using AK, M1, and sporting rifles.

Top Bottom