• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meek

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For hunting dangerous game.
    For super cold climate.
    For capacity limited cases when you need more speed.

Anymore reasons?

I have tested regular primers vs magnum primers extensively in one of my 300 win mags and always have achieved lower es and sd and better accuracy. Plus it has a more progressive recoil. So for the average reloaded in North America that shoots targets and hunts...why would you. Or why do you use magnum primers?

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The only reason I use them is for .308 Subsonic Loads with 700x.

I have tried loading 44 mag with and without no difference noticed.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Uhhhhhh . . . have you never used a powder that calls for a magnum primer ??
    For me,it's just the opposite. I use ONLY magnum primers. CCI 450,250,and 350, plus Fed215. I do not have to worry about which powder I use. They all will be lit by a fast,hot,primer.
    Especially in my large powder capacity chamberings,belted magnums,45-90Express,etc. It's magnum for me.
    I believe that you are missing the point of when to use magnum primers. It is all about the powder. Not the WX,not the recoil,not the chambering, . . . POWDER CHOICE. Look thru the loading manuals. There are some powders used for 223/5.56 that call for a magnum primer. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Uhhhhhh . . . have you never used a powder that calls for a magnum primer ??
    For me,it's just the opposite. I use ONLY magnum primers. CCI 450,250,and 350, plus Fed215. I do not have to worry about which powder I use. They all will be lit by a fast,hot,primer.
    Especially in my large powder capacity chamberings,belted magnums,45-90Express,etc. It's magnum for me.
    I believe that you are missing the point of when to use magnum primers. It is all about the powder. Not the WX,not the recoil,not the chambering, . . . POWDER CHOICE. Look thru the loading manuals. There are some powders used for 223/5.56 that call for a magnum primer. ---- SAWMAN

Good point. I always look up the load first unless I'm loading custom sub loads my own ju ju. :). I guess I don't own power that calls for a mag primer.

Such as my 44 Mag loads I use H110 240 Bullet. You lookup load data does not call for a Mag Primer...

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Magnum primers in my 45-70 loads. But that's all I've messed with for them. Tried both and the gun liked the Magnum primers. So just stuck with them.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Orion

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Kind of on the same subject....I noticed I have many more Large pistol magnum primers than Large pistol primers. I like AA #9 in my 10MM and 44 MAG, but it does not call for MAG primers. Any thoughts if I use the MAG primers?

Skeeterdone

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I run small mag primers in my 6.5 creed.. more for a better ignition of the 47.8 grains ( Compressed load ) Norma MRP. My Large primer Hornady brass I use just reg. Pushing 140's @ 2980....Very good results out to one mile...
    On my 308, mag primers have really erratic SD's... Reg primers flatten SD's out..

Top Bottom