• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lucas Gun Oil on the moving parts and Ballistol everywhere else.

d047f9aaabe1dd8f982caf1ba3b9a582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I left this thread open in case you fellars wanted to continue the "best lube" discussion.
    My go to is CLP break free and CLP cleaner, although I do like using Frog lube as it has worked well for me. I have about 2k rounds, without cleaning, on my primary AR bcg and it runs fine with a couple drops of CLP. But I don't clean my stuff nearly as much as I used to...or probably need to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    On the AR bolt and bolt carrier groups I just watched a very detailed video on them and relative to lubricity apparently they are not all equal. Some are made with materials, designs, and surface coatings that reduce friction. So perhaps what one person uses on their bolt carrier group might not be good for someone elses gun? Not a statement, but more of a question. Likely some guns might do better with one type then would other guns in general. I guess what we all want is a lubricant that works across the board in all applications. Not sure if that is possible.
    Here is the video I was referring to:

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used CLP for twenty years or so but switched to Frog lube because I like the color, the name, the feel of it, the smell, and it looks like it wins every exhaustive gun lube test I've ever read.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As an retired Infantryman we always used what we could get our hands on, clp and lsa. I've stuck with both my throughout my career and CIV life. Both worked, but I can say from first hand that CLP on a M2 .50 in a sand storm in Iraq is a NO GO. Locked my 50 up so tight that I hand to kick the bolt open just to clear it entering the FOB. Tower guards just laughed. Glad I never had to fire it on that trip or I would have been SOL. LSA from then on.

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been using Froglube on my guns for a few years now. Never had any issues out of it so I keep using it. I have read the stories about it gumming up.. but every time I see stories like that I see they used WAY to much and didnt remove excess.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have been using Froglube on my guns for a few years now. Never had any issues out of it so I keep using it. I have read the stories about it gumming up.. but every time I see stories like that I see they used WAY to much and didnt remove excess.

Honestly, I think most of the negative press comes from people that don't apply it properly - saw a post on another forum where a guy was yammering on about it and when asked how he applied it, he told everyone he just grabbed a wad of paste and slathered it all over his BCG.

I'm a believer in FrogLube... but man it's a PITA doing the first application.

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a believer in FrogLube... but man it's a PITA doing the first application.

Man I could not agree more on that one.. first application is the biggest pain.. but its pretty much the last pain so its worth it. Considering I know guys that will spend 30-45 mins per gun to get them clean.. then they watch me strip one down, wipe it down, lube it and put it back together in 5-10 mins. The original PITA is worth it every time after.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frog lube is great and yes initially it is difficult to apply. Parts have to be cleaned very well but the product works. I use a heat gun to warm up the metal parts so it adheres better to the metal then wipe off the excess. Some people put the parts to be treated on a cookie sheet and apply Frog lube then place in an oven on very low temp for a while then wipe off the excess and your done. My nephew went a step further he bought a cheap crock pot and slow heats the parts for a couple of days in Frog lube then wipes off the excess before reassembly. After a range trip cleanup is usually five minutes.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In my 55 yeas of shooting, I've tried a lot of lubes and cleaners but in the last couple of years I've switched to Ballistol and happy I did. For me it does it all, I even like the odd smell.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ^ Ballistol is always in my kit. very versatile clp. Conditions wood stocks and leather too! I like the odd smell as well

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL. Odd smellers ? :bolt::behindsofa:

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bracing myself for the ridicule. CLP on the trigger works, hammer, etc. Automotive bearing grease on the friction surfaces of slides and AR bolts...:laugh:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I use 5W 30 oil and good old Vaseline...

Top Bottom