• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Just curious what combinations of weapon and light you carry. Or, if you do not carry the combo, why not? I normally carry a glock 19 iwb and am thinking of adding the tlr-7 to it. My thoughts are if its mounted on the weapon then I would have support hand to shield or move wife/kid out of the way if neccessary. As a side note I already carry a small handheld light even during the day to use for normal tasks

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    3E0B5E09-7273-423A-97DC-5DBF4E666018.jpg

Almost only because I could, however when walking the dog I can see why it’d be handy.

Attachments

• 3E0B5E09-7273-423A-97DC-5DBF4E666018.jpg
      3E0B5E09-7273-423A-97DC-5DBF4E666018.jpg
      232.2 KB · Views: 304

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That is a good explanation. Walking the dog, carrying recent purchase, ect. Anybody opposed to a weapon mounted light?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have carried a WML on my carry gun for years. Started with X200s then X300s, now it's TLR1-HL on my 1911 carry guns and a TLR7 on my G19s. It doesn't eliminate the need for a hand held light but IMO it is useful compliment to one.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have a tlr-1hl. How was the bulk or extra weight carrying it iwb? How does the tl-7 compare with less lumens? What holster do you use?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My EDC is a TLR1 HL. Excellent light and, for me, gives the gun more balance as it adds weight to the front. It's noticeable in polymer guns being as they're typically lighter and felt recoil is more. Another plus side to a WML while carrying appendix is the leverage due to overall length. (Easier/ more comfortable to carry a larger pistol than smaller AIWB)
    2510afd97a113ac186240c20101b7e93.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a tlr-1hl. How was the bulk or extra weight carrying it iwb? How does the tl-7 compare with less lumens? What holster do you use?

Like JW I don't find it to be an issue. The TLR7 is obviously less intrusive, but does have less lumens. IMO it's enough for what I need it to do; PID an adversary. It's considerably more lumens/candela than was the standard for years when we were using incandescent bulbs instead of LEDs.
    I'm using Gypsy EDC holsters and Dale Fricke holsters

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No light for me. Never have,never will. Under any condition. Not attached to the gun. --- SAWMAN

Kind of curious as to why; what reasoning?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    SAWMAN has those spectral-contacts:

NVG contact lens right eye.
    Thermal contact lens left eye.

Toggle off/on by specific blink pattern.

Right?

(* Man, I WISH those really existed...)

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I;m going to get in trouble again . Take a good ccw class and you would learn about the use of a light and not use of a light. Just my 5 cents jj

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never used a weapon light because I have not trained with them and many of my preferred carry guns don't have a rail. I am more familiar with using a handheld light to identify the BG.

I have been tempted to get a light for a shoulder weapon, but i would still want to train with it first.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think of the British Red Coats fighting in ranks and Patriots fighting gorilla tactics in a grown corn field. The Red Coats are flashlight guys and the Patriot guys are not. Even with the best flashlight tactics you location or proximity is seen. The opposition can plan to counter your movement/progression to either evade or close in. Even during a battle stealth and concealment provide advantage. Nobody is going to sneak up on or suprise a armed threat with a handgun/flashlight. Think about it from both sides. You may be able to do it to a BG who is focused on stealing something but that doesn't constitute a true physical threat to you at that point.

No light on CC guns, or on house guns. I've been CC for decades before handguns had rails or light/laser mount options. Use old School handgun and seperate light skills I don't like the added bulk of a mounted (or seperate carry) light. I keep mini mag lights in vehicle door compartments. I understand tactical light/gun employment, standard and survival usage. I dont like the added bulk of a mounted light nor a attachable or seperate carry light.

I'll slip a small flashlight in my pocket if I walk the dog at night (illuminate me to vehicles) but thats the only time I carry a light.

If you have a gun mounted light your muzzle is on or proximity of what you illuminate. So if its only a power outage are you going to use it? Maybe draw and detach it? Light use is two way: you may look but also provide a source location, even if you ninja flash&move and what does that do to your night vision when the lights off? Strobe blind an adversary? Mayby but I can shoot in the direct of a strobe and bet you can too. What if I can't hear from the initial shots and see you ninja flash and think its muzzle flash from my angle with muzzle flashed vision? If you saw a red/green laser poking around do you think its a threat? Should we assume all high lumen flashlights are mounted to muzzles? I don't have a reason to use a light to hunt (offensive use) for a Threat, thats just bad tactics unless your getting paid for it and have the authority to do so. Whats the odds of being in that "average gunfight" (3-6 feet) in a total blackout with no ambient light of any kind? If so, the threat can't see you either until he turns on his light and you shoot him while he's looking for you. Lol. Your always behind a weapons mounted light. A separate light can be held to the side and away from body alignment. Night sights will get you on the target no matter what angle its illuminated from. I'd rather fire one handed than have a light source centered on me (mounted or various two hand gun/light skills).

The light issue gets worse when its two against one light user. Your "light" tunnel vision kills your scan, hold one at gun/light point and another BG can close in from the blind zones. Again, not a offensive tool.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No light for me. Never have,never will. Under any condition. Not attached to the gun. --- SAWMAN

+1. Handheld Insight flashlight with strobe feature. Can be used as a weapon itself, strobe used to dazzle/confuse, and the hand held gives more lighting options, such as pointing it straight up to "flood" an entire room in soft light. Most important, I'm not providing anyone shooting my way an aiming point to make a critical hit.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    wr666, couldn't have said it mo-bedda.
    Wanted to initially respond but it would have surely started a tongue fight.
    There are differing views of the light thing. Everyone is surely entitled to train and use the methods that work best for them. One thing to remember though . . . people that fight together,should train together. Using the same tatics,movement patters,rules of engaugement,and even weapons where possible/feasible.
    Just wondering . . . how in the hell did we ever get any fighting done BEFORE there were rails on the weapons that were used.
    I say . . . learn to fight in the dark. It is doable. It is trainable. Carry a small,compact light to ID the bodies. --- SAWMAN
    P.S. Some people here need to take a class from jj.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    wr666, couldn't have said it mo-bedda.
    Wanted to initially respond but it would have surely started a tongue fight.
    There are differing views of the light thing. Everyone is surely entitled to train and use the methods that work best for them. One thing to remember though . . . people that fight together,should train together. Using the same tatics,movement patters,rules of engaugement,and even weapons where possible/feasible.
    Just wondering . . . how in the hell did we ever get any fighting done BEFORE there were rails on the weapons that were used.
    I say . . . learn to fight in the dark. It is doable. It is trainable. Carry a small,compact light to ID the bodies. --- SAWMAN
    P.S. Some people here need to take a class from jj.

If someone only wants to train only with a handheld based on their equipment limitations or simply because that's what they want to do I'm cool with it, but to not acknowledge the advantage a weapon mounted light potentially gives is simply showing ignorance.
    BTW If you're just using your light to ID the bodies you're correct someone does need to take a class from JJ.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Well, I have been professionally trained in the use of the weapon mounted light and carried one on duty daily for years. Was mainly interested in if its thought of as a necessity for ccw as private citizen. I think if I can reasonably comfortably carry the extra bulk and my current carry gun has a rail. Then why not, just another tool for just in case. Now Id like to shift focus a bit and concentrate on the tlr-hl (which I already have) vs the new tlr-7. Points of interest are: beam pattern, brightness, size, ease of carry, and obtaining a holster (hopefully locally). I really liked jogan’s holsters. Anybody in town make similar?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Tk5o, I don't know of any local kydex benders in Pcola but there's a plethora of ones that will make one for a TLR1 or 7. Mine pictured is a Holsterco but the short list for me is Dark Star gear, Philster, Holsterco, I think Gcode has a AIWB now but not sure if its light bearing.
    Back on lights...I like the "hot spot" of the HL for ccw. It's generous inside 10 yards, I wouldn't pocket carry one for looking across a corn field but for short work it's good. I actually prefer it to my x300 for ccw. I don't have much experience with the 7 other than fondling one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    How are the switches on the 7 compared to the hl?

Top Bottom