• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meek

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may be in the market for a Cheap new or used 1911ish gun. The closest thing I have right now to a 1911 is a Sig P938.
    A local pawn shop has a couple of interesting guns. The first is a Ballester-Molina in .45 for $399.00. I know it isn't exactly a 1911 but close. It is in Very good condition with the original grips. The only thing that concerns me is that there is play(if you shake the gun side to side it rattles) in the slide to frame. The barrel and bushing are tight. I don't know if this is a deal breaker or not. Like I said very good condition with very little holster wear. The other is a Para Ordinance .45 Double stack in stainless Full size $499.00. This gun also is in very good condition without the rattle.

What do ya'll think?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If your close to the $500 game, wait for Black Friday sales. That money is pretty close to a decent Springfield, Ruger, or entry Kimber. Rock Island Arms if you just absolutely need to have one today. Or save a couple hundred more or post an a WTB ad on the forum. IMHO
    Like a fool I sold my Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. I don't have 45 stuff anymore but still miss that one...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I may be in the market for a Cheap new or used 1911ish gun. The closest thing I have right now to a 1911 is a Sig P938.
    A local pawn shop has a couple of interesting guns. The first is a Ballester-Molina in .45 for $399.00. I know it isn't exactly a 1911 but close. It is in Very good condition with the original grips. The only thing that concerns me is that there is play(if you shake the gun side to side it rattles) in the slide to frame. The barrel and bushing are tight. I don't know if this is a deal breaker or not. Like I said very good condition with very little holster wear. The other is a Para Ordinance .45 Double stack in stainless Full size $499.00. This gun also is in very good condition without the rattle.

What do ya'll think?

That para-ord in a pawn shop could be a bargain. Look at it again, and then ask how long they have had it out for sale. If it is more than 60 days, tell them you like it; but para-ord not very popular these days, and mags are expensive (I think they are). Then offer them $100 over what they paid, plus tax and other OTD cost. Adjust negotiations from there.

They are not a retail store, and sticker price means nothing; less if it has sat for 60 plus days. Money in sitting inventory is a bane to pawn shops, and I have had some deals from that fact in the past several times.

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are a lot of 1911's out there that rattle. It has been my experience that if it rattles then it is lose enough to be reliable but don't expect a tack driver. If the gun does not have a full length guide rod you will have a rattle when in battery. If it fires, functions and feeds enjoy your purchase. But I also agree to save your money and take advantage of the black Friday sales.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/s...man-s-1911-buyer-guide&highlight=1911+addicts

In addition to expected holiday sales, new 1911s prices fluctuate quite a bit based on market demand. The high end 1911 don't vary much but entry to mid level price 1911s can swing $200! IMHO, people decide to by a 1911 instead of something else. Then the buyer must compare the same basic design from a more than a dozen mfgs competing against each other on quality, value and price to makes the sale.

FWIW: Neither of your window shopped handguns are true 1911s but major design variants. Is that really the direction you want to go? Some 1911 purists don't like external extractors like Sigs or minor grip panel difference on the Taurus (Taurus finally eliminated the "PT" engravings before 1911 on the slide on current production, old style is still floating in some store stock). I own a Sig and a Taurus 1911s both 100% reliable but priced $700 apart. The Sig shoot better groups by half. I only like full size in 45APC as J.M. Browning intended.

Even on an entry level 1911 you have choices: Size, caliber, forged or cast frame, steel or alloy, capacity 7/8 (.45APC), sights, beaver tail, amby safety, serrations, checkering an more.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You can get a Rock Island Tactical at Academy for $529 w/ nice sights, beavertail grip safety and commander hammer. For little more $$ the Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Armory are great choices as well! Avoid Taurus and Kimbers. Just my .02 worth!

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    At Academy Sports on BF2018, they will have a Taurus 1911 for $449.99. Good entry level 1911 from everything I have read...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: The Taurus 1911 is the only handgun I owned, sold and then missed it: I bought another one. Couldn't beat the list of standard features, value priced and both preformed with 100% reliability. These were full size, a smaller version is in production now. Read reviews (good and bad), shoot one and judge for yourself.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rattle is about slide-frame fit. It doesn't much matter unless you a frame-mounted sight device. (I had a model 52 Smith that rattled a lot). What matters if you have a slide-mounted sight device is slide-barrel fit and barrel accuracy.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was Meek just wilddog returning with a different style to spin our wheels? Lol Its a very weak mind that can't post a single origional thought.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

What do ya'll think?

I've got a Ballerina Molester ;)
    It rattled a little when I got it, but shot VERY well.
    It was also a bit rusty, so had the slide Cerakoted at Don's on 9-mile.
    It no longer rattles. in fact, at first, it was so hard to slide it took
    around 1000 manual hand-cycles to get it to move properly.
    So after getting it worn in, slapped on a WC bushing and 18# spring,
    then had to do the hand-cycle thing again to get those hand-fitted for proper function.
    Did seem to tighten up the groups a bit, so it was worth it :)

Best thing about the Ballester-Molina is the lack of a grip safety.
    According to some others, that's also the worst thing about it ;)
    It's basically NOT an 1911 copy, but a copy of the Star P-series.
    Which the Star P was inspired by the 1911, but not a direct copy.

At its base, the Ballester is a nice, inexpensive pistol that you can
    easily find spare parts for at SARCO, in fact, you can buy a beater
    version for around $239 from them as a spare, so then you'd always
    have on-hand spare parts. 1911 UPPER parts also work, like bushings
    barrels, and springs, so that makes for some nice & easy upgrades.

Latest posts

Top Bottom