• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meek

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recent Mt Hood hiker found dead and suspected victim of cougar attack. Earlier this summer two bicyclists were attacked and one killed.

Are there too many cougars? The wife and I are “ discussing intensely”. She hikes and is getting fearful, and will not carry a firearm. I say we are in the part of the predator / prey cycle where there are too many predators and not enough prey.

Anyone care to share their learned opinions?

Are cougar, wolf, bear, coyote populations too big for the current elk, deer , prey populations?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the human population is too big for them. I mean you guys moved in on their turf crowding them out, killing their food (hunting, road kills). What would you do to survive if you were deprived of food? I'd have to say the cougar population is low, and they should be protected more than they are. As far as people getting attacked, they should carry pepper spray made for bears. They are certainly within their right to use a firearm for protection, where legal, but if people do not want to carry either one, then I'd have to suggest the stay home and use a treadmill or go to their local gym and use theirs. jmho

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wildlife experts know the populations and Gov officials set hunt harvest quotas. PETA/tree huggers fight those efforts and sometimes it the voters or the Courts that decide. Wildlife Depts/contractors also remove known problem animals.

With suburban sprawl and habitat encroachment, wildlife boundries get blurred for a lot of species become urbanized. Stupid people interactions of feeding and approaching reduce natural fear/avoidance instincts, while an easy meal is always encouragement for future conflict. Old and juvenile predators may also try humans for a easy meal. Dangerous predators also include wild dog packs and vicious dogs at large. Statistics really don't matter when you're facing a set of fangs and claws. Even armed persons get surprised by animal attacks, results go both ways.

Q: Regarding Wifes position: Is it the gun she refuses or the weight of it?
    Can she carry a quality bear deterrent spray?
    Is you Wife anti gun in all areas or just where animals are concerned?
    Is she just scared of guns that proper training can overcome?
    If she is unwilling to defend hereself/family from two legged predators also, then she is just rolling the dice no matter where she is and avoidance or acceptance of risk is her decision.

Top Bottom