Patriot Mobile

A little input on reloading dies please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meek

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've only loaded handgun so far. Very successfully I'll ad. I will get around to loading my first shouldered, long gun cartridges as soon as I turn a couple hundred factory 6.5x55 Swede rounds into empty cases. I'm wondering if you reloaders notice any real difference in the die brands. Mainly I suppose, will Lee dies work just as well as the Hornady Custom Grade, as the Lyman, the Redding? I'm not looking for match grade $162.00 dies. But if Hornady dies are better/smoother than Lee I'd certainly go for that. Currently I use Lee, Hornady, and Lyman for handgun. Those have all worked well. I did however, really enjoy getting the Lyman dies over the RCBS dies for .45acp due to the expander doing a better job.

I realize I need to use lube on rifle cases.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've never noticed much difference between different brands of dies. Lee's decapping pin collet idea is nice in theory, but it doesn't always work in practice. That being said, I own more sets of Lee dies than any other brand currently.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started with Lee then went to Hornadys. I have some RCBS and Lyman where I could not find other dies in particular calibers. I prefer Hornady to Lee but won't come out and say they are better, just that I prefer them. I found that the Hornadys are longer than the Lees and, as such, are much easier to adjust in my progressives (The Lees are almost too short to work). Die choice is more personal than anything.

Also be aware that steel (non-carbide or titanium) pistol dies also require case lube.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never noticed much difference between different brands of dies. Lee's decapping pin collet idea is nice in theory, but it doesn't always work in practice. That being said, I own more sets of Lee dies than any other brand currently.

My exact same thoughts.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    They all work, but from personal experience, I generally prefer Redding dies for loading rifle ammo. I've had some bullet-seating adjustment issues with Redding pistol dies, so for handgun ammo I like RCBS or Lyman. With that said, I've also had a set of Lee .38 Spl/.357 Mag dies in a Lee 1000 progressive press, and Lee .45 ACP dies in another 1000 press for 30+ years of satisfactory loading.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Most of my rifle dies are Redding or RCBS. I have had a couple of issues with Hornady rifle dies. I have never used Lee or Lyman for rifle...only pistol. They all have their quirks. I don't like the stem in RCBS size dies as much as I like Redding's. If you get a little too much wax or other lube on your brass you will wish your Redding die had a weep hole like RCBS does...it will dimple the shoulders quick. Carbide rifle dies still need lube. I do like Hornady factory crimp dies for rifles

There are give and take with them all I think

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started with RCBS and never had a single issue that would have caused me to look for something better.

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in agreement with most all, I have Lee, RCBS, Lymon and even a set of Lockmiller dies from probably 50 years ago, they all do what they are supposed to do.

oyeme!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bonanza Benchrest now owned by Forster has always been top quality dies and they are definitely better in keeping bullet alignment during seating.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All mine are Lee's. I usually try to get the yellow box (Ultimate, I think are the set name), it includes a crimp die

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I own Lee and RCBS. Haven't had issues out of any of them and own them for pistol and rifle. Send the money and buy carbide when available for pistol. Otherwise, they all work as stated and will probably outlast any amount of rounds I will ever reload. The LEE lock ring eliminator is freaking awesome for the money in my lee single stage press as well and I highly recommend it for quick die changes to keep them dialed in.

Top Bottom