• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Here is a post I am reposting from when a Fine Helpful Man posted about a glock 43 for sale at Gander Outdoors. I was lucky enough to buy. I have gone thru a Progression of handguns to find WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME MOST OF THE TIME. What is your history or Conceal Carry? below is mine

Gander IMO is FAIR for a Store front .... I like them a LOT better as Gander OUTDOORs vs GanderMountain..

Also.....I bought this pistol-GLOCK 43- to CARRY EVERY DAY...not sell.

Its my 5th pistol to carry... and I LIKE IT THE BEST. Time will tell though.

Practice and experience thru time educated me TO WHAT i LIKE BEST... today ...

glock 19 ..Love it and a bit bulk heavy. FOR ME. I will still carry at times.
    kahrpm9 with laser..... great size but too finiky and unreliable when carried in pocket too long>>LINT STOPPED IT UP. stainess and still rusted up a bit ..I traded it away.
    Taurus ?? g2 ...kept starting to Rust as in did not have Tennifer/nitride ala glocks... But I really liked it...sold it because of light rusting.

One of the things I love about this site is What you Like Best is Different than What I like Best.
    WE try it...................and IF its not our cup of tea ..We sell/Trade and try something else.

Thankyou GulfCoastGunForum....

So far I have Only met Fine ,Honorable Men to deal with...Armslist...SCAM CITY TO WADE THROUGH.

ahhhhh Many posted WHY ...Thanks

Me?Why? Im 65... Its my duty to protect my family and neighbors IMO> I used to be in shape ,ready and willing to Engage ala natural.. Then I got old. IN shape til 60 then sedentary helping with Pop..Now I take care of Mom.. Got soft.. I would blow a gasket ,have a heart attack IF I had to FIGHT to defend. My Pitbull Battle Buddy(Shiva) got old and Passed. So. After the neighborhood had a rash of burglaries I got my ccp. Honestly it was very strange to carry a pistol . A year later ....sometimes I carry 2. Now. 24/7 I have a pistol ON ME or arms length away. Someone kick down the door...I will not fight.. i will shoot . I will practice GunControl. My GunControl gets better month by month. I feel Much safer Armed. imo Who wants Honest ,Peaceful People Disarmed?? CRIMINALS imo....ahhhhhhhh ok some Misguide enablers of Criminals whose Heads are in the Clouds MindFukng themselves. I am now also in the market to get another Little buddy. a 50-60lb PitBull LAPDOG... He will also be the tip of the house spear as thats his nature and duty. My Nature also. TO PROTECT FRIEND AND FAMILY FROM????

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those precious moments when I just don't feel like fighting, just want to get it over-with, and go about my business like I was 30 seconds ago. And because it can take a lifetime to dial 911, and then wait 20+ minutes for "help" to arrive.

p95ccw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry because I am the only person that I fully trust and count on to protect myself and my loved ones. I carry a S&W M&P 2.0c because it is the most natural pointing ergonomic handgun (For Me) I have ever used.

I think finding your own personal choice of firearm is like falling in love, no one can tell you its the one, you have to feel it your self and hold it and know its the "One".

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I carry every day, everywhere legal (and in some places where not so legal), because one day, in one moment, I just might face a life or death situation that I cannot otherwise handle. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I've had carry permits in the various states in which I've lived for the past 30+ years. ...so far, so good (knock wood).

My current carry weapon of choice is a Sig P365, which I feel offers a good balance between size, weight and capacity. I also have a Sig P238 & a Ruger LCP II for those rare times when nothing else will "fit."

Previous carry weapons have included (among others) a full-size 1911, Colt LW Officers .45, J & K frame revolvers, Sig P238 & P938.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    duplicate post that I can't delete.

Last edited:

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry a Smith 442 performance center. That’s my weapon of choice because I will literally carry it anytime I have clothes on. Whether it’s shorts, jeans, or slacks. I was carrying a Glock 19 but found my self making excuses sometimes to leave it in the safe. With the 442 I don’t have that problem. I’m also realistic about what my needs are. My job is to protect my family. It’s not to engage an active shooter, advance on an enemy position, or storm into a drug deal.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After years of sticker shock, l don't bother browsing or shopping in big name sporting goods stores. With the Net, there are really no hard to find items and I prefer local shops above all.

I didn't CC off duty while in the Military. It was a different time and a fight didn't end in a shootout. Once a guy was down it was over, no taking the boots to them or everybody takes a few swings/kicks. People didn't attack you for some perceived "disrespect" or roam I gangs playing the knock-out game. Most people didn't know what a mass shootigs was until the Texas Tower attack and thought such things woud not reoccur. There was still violent crime and murders but local stuff never got national news coverage every day, so it was off the radar as far as general threat potential goes.

CC was just an extention of on duty carry. Didn't need a permit nor permission, firearm approval or course qual with it back then. Colt 1911A1.

Later on, while on duty (LE) l CC a IWI 380 Backup (BUG). Couldn't get my hands on a Seecamp. The 380 Backup (produced by several different mfgs) has mixed reviews but mine was and is still reliable.

Later on I CC a S&W 5906 or Firestar M40. Replaced the 5906 with a G23 and the 380 Backup still filled in until retired it. Added a G42.
    I have carried 6 and 5 shot revolvers on occasion but didn't like them. I've also carried a variety of loaners while traveling but nothing notable enough to change out what I used on home turf.

The pistol I enjoy carrying is a full size 1911A1 (9 rds) but the one I carry most is the G23 with a G42 BUG.

FL is the only location where I encountered CC gun minor rust issues. G23 developed some on the receiver slide rails and at the rear sight cut. The slide finish also faded/wore thin. I spend a lot of time outdoors so humidity and sweat are constantly attacking the IWB gun. OWB carry would reduce this problem but doesn't conceal well with my body/attire. I found out weekly wipe/relub was not good enough. Summer days the pistol is wet requiring a wipe down, spray and semi dry wipe down. Its a tool, wear is acceptable with hard use, just keep on top of it.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    First I carry a 9mm or 45, less than that is inadequate for me. Then it has to have 10+ rds, my G26 carry's 15 and backup is a 33rd mag) I will deal with the size and weight but not inadequacies of service. I carry and have for 25+ years legally (even longer before permits were allowed in TX) because you just never know, peace of mind and comfort of knowing I might have a chance. When a gun is not allowed I choose not to go most of the time but have a safe in the Truck for when going to the base or courthouse. I don't go to rallies or concerts or most places where the weapon is not allowed but carry into all stores and eating places without worry no matter their signage.

Now I am old and would just as soon shoot you as fight and maybe get beat up, besides what does an old man need besides a cot and 3 meals a day,free medical/dental and at the end burial?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Why carry? Because I have natural right to defend myself and my family. It's a right that the 2nd Amendment attempts to protect from the oversteps of a tyrannical government, but it's a natural right regardless of any piece of paper.

Why carry a gun? Because a gun is my most effective weapon to inflict physical deterrence once a conflict starts. I'm not Bruce Lee. I'm not a T-1000. In a physical altercation, I'm better off accurately throwing bullets, instead of punches/kicks.

Why carry concealed? Because it's the law. Also, open-carry draws too much attention in this society. On my property is a different story, but concerning open-carry out in public, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

As for the firearm specifics, that's always going to be personal preference based on body type, hand size, wrist geometry, dependability of the weapon, accuracy with the weapon, caliber preference, capacity, etc. For me, various Glocks fit the bill, depending on the situation. Manual of arms is identical. Dependability is identical.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I carry because I believe it is my responsibility to protect my family. That is also why I practice so much, because I must be ready to protect my family if that time comes and I don't like leaving things to chance. As far as carry piece, I echo what many have already said, "lot's of options but what is best for you." I started off carrying a full size 1911 in .45 and have recently transitioned to a Hudson H9. I have the right body build to carry these guns and I prefer steel. I also believe that if I am going to need my gun I want it to be something I can fight with. That said, in gym shorts I throw my little j-frame in my waist band, but again, I make sure that I practice with it in case it is needed.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    True...some of us are fortunate enough to FALL IN LOVE WITH OUR FIRST..

Some of Us(ME) are whoremongers who have to SOW A LOT OF OATS AND GET TOO OLD TO TOMCAT AND THEN SETTLE DOWN... sorta

gun metaphor...

Last edited:

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    First I carry a 9mm or 45, less than that is inadequate for me. Then it has to have 10+ rds, my G26 carry's 15 and backup is a 33rd mag) I will deal with the size and weight but not inadequacies of service. I carry and have for 25+ years legally (even longer before permits were allowed in TX) because you just never know, peace of mind and comfort of knowing I might have a chance. When a gun is not allowed I choose not to go most of the time but have a safe in the Truck for when going to the base or courthouse. I don't go to rallies or concerts or most places where the weapon is not allowed but carry into all stores and eating places without worry no matter their signage.

Now I am old and would just as soon shoot you as fight and maybe get beat up, besides what does an old man need besides a cot and 3 meals a day,free medical/dental and at the end burial?

I hear you......... Not gonna fight some young buck and Die of a Heart attack.. One warning...

BANG if they attack. imo... Its on Him if he chooses to die.

I am sensible enough to avoid trouble thankyou

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry because I feel naked without one. After 3 deployments to Iraq, you get used to carrying a weapon and feel naked without it. Those who've done it, know what I mean. It's my right to carry and own firearms and I'm going to exercise it. I love my wife and will do anything to protect her and my life. I've carried numerous guns since leaving the Army. Some full size, compact, single stack, and a revolver. I've carried a 92FS Centurion, 226, Taurus TCP, Smith Bodyguard .38, XDS 45, G19, Sig 1911 TacOps (Open carry in AL), HK VP9 (Open carry in AL) and G43. Currently it's either a Glock 19 or 43. I plan on getting my wife a Sig P365 and I might just get one for myself. I won't be getting rid of the Glock but I like trying new things. I might get a CZ P01 instead. On the fence about anything new from Sig. Too many quality control issues and design flaws to trust my life or my wife's if we needed it in a pinch. It seems like they've been slowly working through the design flaws but I'm in no rush to get one. Will never own another Taurus anything. Learned my lesson on buying junk and so I'd rather save and buy once, cry once. My life and family are worth far more than saving a few bucks on a cheap POS.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry because I am responsible for my own safety, and for what I carry, I don't want to dress around my carry...I will likely never need it, but if I do, I will need it. I look for convenience as much as anything...single stack magazine, revolver sometimes...all lightweight. Occasionally I will outside carry or carry as higher capacity pistol though really, I'm a homebody so I don't spend near as much time "out" as many people do.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been asked numerous times why I carry a firearm. Some say hell your retired now you have no need for a firearm. I tell them this I began carrying a firearm in 70s as a police officer in a nuclear facility. At that time we really didn't worry so much about terrorists from foreign countries. We dealt with protestors and activists who were crazier then hell but I made it thru that time. For awhile during the late 70s early 80s I moved on to over road trucking. All of a sudden I needed protection from hijackers and then corrupt union drivers and thugs who demanded you join or they'd damage your rig. From there I moved thru many different security and police jobs as well as doing bounty hunting. I've been shot twice and stabbed many times and yes I walked away and yes a few did breathe their last air by tangling with myself and a crew I was lucky to have with me. I was in New York less then 10hrs after 911 on a security detail and saw the destruction. I've carried a firearm just about every one of those days. Do to my health I retired about 2005. I could have easily put the firearm away in a safe and left it there. But I watch the news and go on social media and I see what our country has become and is becoming. Things aren't better since that day in the 70s that I strapped a firearm on they are worst . So why would I not carry something to protect my family and friends from violence if it were to happen. Chances are greater now then they were 40 yrs ago. No I can't take on an army but I'd kick myself if I were placed in a situation and that one shot could of saved numerous lives and my firearm was in a locked safe.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry in advance for the long post fellas. It’s a great question and I don’t have much to do on my lazy Sunday. If you read it all, hi five my friend :)

I received my CCW and started carrying in my early 20s. I started to realize that domestic crime rates and murders just kept climbing. I had completed my first tour in Afghanistan and had seen into the mindset of killing on both sides of the camp. I quickly came to the conclusion that to kill an adversary in combat is one thing, but to take a life of a fellow citizen over material goods or arguements really frightened me as to what some people are capable of.

I don’t think I’m explaining my point well. I guess what I’m saying is shooting someone or getting shot at in combat is expected, getting murdered by a fellow countrymen where I should be safe is scary to me and evil. Scared me enough to begin exercising my rights. So thank God that our country affords us the right to defend ourselves against any aggressor. I carry cause I will not be a victim. My family won’t be victims either.

Seems like it was a 2 part question on the thread. So what firearm have I tried out or prefer. I don’t own most of these guns anymore cause they either didn’t fit me or my needs well.

1st CCW carry was a full-size 1911 in 45. Then a commanders size and finally moved on. I usually appendix carry, and cocked and locked wasn’t always comfortable for me.
    Tried a G26, and a mp9c. Moved on again cause they were kinda fat for me and I felt uneasy carrying appendix with a striker fired.
    I have and continue to carry a micro desert eagle in 380 sometimes. Mostly in hot weather when I’m trying not to print.
    Mostly I like carrying a Makarov. I prefer the DA/SA of it, I like the design, all metal construction. Of course I wish it was a full 9mm but 9x18 have some good SD loads out there. I have found accuracy good and reliability incredible. Reliability has only been matched by my HK USP9V1.

Another thing is if God forbid I had to use it in a deadly force scenario, I would not be out much money while LE does they investigation. I would be able to easily replace it with another Mak as they are still only $275ish.

Anyhow this is just me bored droning on and on. Great post OP!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got a chuckle at Reds carry concept with a Mak: reliable and inexpensive (not cheap quality) so if it's taken into evidence, its easily replaced. Makes perfect sense. I've contemplated the same issue of carry gun being taken into evidence but decided screw it to some extent. I'm more concerned with the sweat, salt, humitity, dirt/grit toll on the gun and wouldn't want that "wear" on a high dollar handgun.. Once you find 100% reliability and appropriate accuracy you really don't need to carry anything more expensive but if thats your happy place: go for it! People are buying those spendy Wilson, Brown carry guns, right? I always give a nod of approval when I see honest use/holster wear on a spendy sidearm: working the trenches like regularJoe Glock. Lol

Top Bottom