• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry for self defense and for the defense of those around me.

I have carried so many different kinds of platforms that it boggles the mind. I suffer from the "grass is greener" syndrome when it comes to handguns. When I first started out I carried j-frames because I was terrified that I would print with anything bigger. I still like the J-frame but I prefer to carry a compact or duty sized handgun whenever possible, which is about 85-90% of the time.

When I was younger, my favorite carry guns were snubbie K-Frames, always with 38 special loads, even in magnum revolvers. Lately, though I tend to prefer the double stack 9s and 40s. I like the Glocks best of the striker fired family. But my favorite carry guns are Sigs and Berettas. For the last month my prime carry gun is a police trade in, no rail, and no frills, Sig 229 in 40 cal in a Remora holster. I also have a Sig 239 in 9mm for those rare occasions when I need something a bit smaller. My deep carry gun is a Manhurin PP in .32 acp or a Beretta Tomcat in 32.

However, someone just gave me a cool set of grips for my Beretta 92d and I may start carrying that one again in the near future, using my Remora holster or my Galco Scout holster. Of course, the thread about reloading revolvers had got me thinking about carrying my 3" model 64 in a Bianchi pistol pocket instead. So many good choices.

Last edited:

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I like your style Jeb21......Your a brother from another..

I like the "Grass is Greener" metaphor better for myself as I judged myelf as a gun whoremonger ...

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I typically carry dao revolvers, thanks to a decision that was made for me. Usually it’s a model 10 snub, but sometimes it’s a 642, both for concealed carry. I also have a 64 4” for when I feel like lugging around 2lbs. I try to keep things dao, and as such there’s not many striker fired options and most hammer fired semi autos are older and not exactly easy to get.
    I did find a beat-to-hell 92d recently and it handles and shoots much better than it looks. I traded into a owb last weekend and it technically conceals under the biggest, sloppiest shirts I own and I am looking for an iwb. I won’t lie, 17+1 in a gun as apposed to a whole rig is kinda cool.

As far as why I carry... the fastest response time from law enforcement I’ve ever seen was 4 minutes. That’s a long time to dodge bullets or a knife.

Johnboy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry because its my constitutional right under the 2nd amendment, if we as a people don’t use it we will Lose It! I also carry because of how crazy our world has become. We live in a divided country and there are too many nut jobs out there. I carry 9 mm handguns and always carry my backup North American Arms Pug in a neck holster. I love the 1911 springfield EMP, 3inch, in 9mm. Double stack handguns are just too big and uncomfortable to carry, although the Sig 365 looks good once the bugs are fixed by sig. I always carry owb, mostly cross draw at the 1030 to 1100 o’clock position. I'm a vet, retired, 63 years old. Loving life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

meek

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Three years ago my two twenty-something aged daughters who live together were awakened at two in the morning by loud pounding on the front door to their house. They peeked out the window and saw a "George Foreman" figure trying to get in. They called police and the dispatcher told them no one was available to help them because the police were too busy. My daughters called me and asked me what to do - I live 1000 miles away from them. After giving some direction I called their police dispatch to ask why the police could not respond. I got a nice run-around for an answer.

Since then my wife and I have reconsidered our rights as Americans and have taken steps to prepare ourselves in the event of an attack. Ironically, I still have to convince my two daughters to get their carry permits. They are both suffering from college-degree granted idiocy.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm making sure both my boys are gun fans long before they attend college, not taking that chance! I also helped persuade my 21 year old to attend Troy University in Alabama, probably one of the more conservative schools you'll find! His little brother has already said he'll follow in his footsteps and attend Troy too!

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm making sure both my boys are gun fans long before they attend college, not taking that chance! I also helped persuade my 21 year old to attend Troy University in Alabama, probably one of the more conservative schools you'll find! His little brother has already said he'll follow in his footsteps and attend Troy too!

Is the out of state tuition outrageous?

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have only had my CCW for a little over three years. I’m not sure why it took me so long to decide to get it. I can echo a lot of the things mentioned above about being responsible for the protection of myself, family and friends. While I have several LEO friends - they can’t be everywhere. To me if a situation occurs whether it is a personal attack or active shooter I feel like people fall in three categories. They are either helpless, part of the problem or part of the solution. I would prefer to be part of the solution.

In the short time I have been carrying I have tried several options and still rotate through different things based on the situation. My first CCW was the shield 9mm and I still carry it when I need something smaller. In the cooler weather I have carried a 4.25” 9mm and 1911. My primary carry gun now is a Sig 320 compact with a red dot. Fourteen rounds and a reload. Short of having a rifle I feel that gun gives me the best option of solving any problem I might encounter. One option I really like as a carry gun that doesn’t work well for me because I shoot left handed is the CZ Rami. Great gun but only left side safety.

While I carry pretty much daily one of the things I learned from Andrew Branca’s book Law of Self Defense is that there is a good chance I might need a less lethal option. I carry Pepper Spray and a flashlight I could use if the situation did not call for lethal force.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've changed my original EDC concept of one gun to about a dozen.
    All have more or less the same control setup, except two, which are
    relagated to special carry circumstances due to the safety switches
    are reverse of every other pistol on the planet. (Ultrastars in 9mm & .40-S&W)

I've got tiny pistols for beachwear...medium pistols for regular day wear,
    big honking pistols for winter wear since you can hide more.
    And just because of "Reasons", recently bought two more tiny/compacts
    that I'd been curious about and caught them at a great price :)
    It's good to have OPTIONS :)

Honestly hope I never have to use any of them for defensive purposes.
    Frankly, it's a big headache and a lot of paperwork nowadays.
    And ya better have good Insurance from USCCA or something like that
    if ya do, because the scumbag's relatives may try to sue ya.
    Honestly makes one wonder whether to call the cops after, or just S, S, & S.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And yeah, about those local LEO's...
    there's a reason that Navy gal's homicide was never solved,
    because ECSO has forgotten how to do the basics.
    When someone gets killed in a high drug area near a Navy Base,
    you flood the area with cops making it IMPOSSIBLE to sell any drugs
    or do the any of the things hoodrats do until they give up whodunnit.
    ESPECIALLY when your town has three Navy bases IN it and they're basically
    keeping Pensacola from being a total waste of space like certain other cities.
    Couple weeks of not getting their fix and druggies will narc out their own mothers.

So they dropped the ball from the getgo, and never managed to pick it up again.

And that's far from the only unsolved homicide in the area...
    kind of been amazed when I found out recently How Many there are.
    A lot simply seem to have been dropped due to the color of skin of the victim.
    Or the profession of the victim...lots of dead hookers in this town for some reason.
    Looks like if you die in West or South Pensacola, might as well forget about any
    real in depth work unless they did it on camera.

Heck, even political's ain't safe...remember Willie Junior??
    Even a first year CJ student could tell that was a homicide...
    but no...ruled an accidental suicide...LOL
    Yeah, that was about as much an accidental suicide as the Clinton squealer
    who got shot in the back of the head in a parking garage...

Makes one miss Joe Friday & honest policing that much more.
    Protect Yourself, because nobody else will.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom