• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I reload for 9mm, 38sp,357mag,40s&w and 45acp. All my 45s perform as expected in my guns, however, in my sons Springfield XDs we keep getting rounds that don't allow the slide to return to full battery. I resize and factory crimp all the rounds. Loading lead 200 gr RNFP. Would the Lee Bulge Buster be helpful with this? Recoil springs seem fine, magazine springs fine also. Confused because it doesn't happen on every round. When doing the plunk test they do appear to be just a hair long, that's why I'm thinking the Bulge Buster. Any ideas would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Joe

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    IMO, the bullet profile/OAL is the culprit. 200 RNFP is not the most feed friendly profile. I would change bullet to either 230 RN or 200 SWC. but try different OAL first to see if it makes any difference.

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the reply's, I do use a Lee taper crimp die, all my loads chamber, fire and eject fine in my guns, Ruger SR1911, S&W 1911, Sig P245,sons Springfield is the only one that doesn't cycle right. I will try shortening the OAL and see if that helps. I am seating the RNFP 200gr at 1.225 OAL, loading HP38. I do appreciate the suggestions.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With lead 200 gr .45 cal SWCs and Federal cases, I taper crimp to about .472. With 185 gr jacketed Nosler HPs, I taper crimp to about .470.

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update. The Lee Bulge Buster did the trick, every round that wouldn't allow full slide return now works perfectly. I'd highly recommend that little device.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting to read...while I don't have an XD in .45, I'd say if I get a FTF, it will be on a .45..the others I load; 9mm, .40; I don't have any such issues. I have had a few problems with light primer strikes with CCI SPP's primarily with XD series...might be as much me/not seating primers as the primers themselves. As such, I've switched to Winchester primers just in case. All of my die sets are Lee, yellow box with crimping die

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I understand from talking to several folks about this bulge it is primarily found on 40s and 45s that were fired from a Glock as the Glock barrel is not supported, doesn't seem to affect Glocks. It apparently is a bulge near the base of the brass. Whatever, it did make all the 45s work as designed. Neighbor across the street was having trouble with his range picked up brass, I ran them through and they all fired properly for him. I'm a believer. Never too old to learn a new trick I guess.

Top Bottom