• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tovarish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just wondering what others think of the newly reopened Gander Outdoors used firearms practice of putting the guns in the counter with a date when they will sell the gun. They told me that they have a ‘hold’ period while ECSO does a stolen/lost serial number check, and it is first come first served on the release date. Would you rather they not display the gun until it can be sold?

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think it's a good policy. I don't go to the store everyday but it would be nice if on a day I did go I saw a used gun I wanted and could come back and have a chance at getting it. Otherwise it might be put out on the day it can be sold and if I didn't go to the store that day I'd never know about it.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I really don't care either way. Unless the offering is quite unique, there are just far too many places to buy firearms for me to worry about what one particular store might have one example of...one day. I haven't even visited the store since it reopened.

bigbirney

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Gander sux azz. Have been in there maybe 3 times never spent a cent. Everything in store is retail + 20% at least. Saw Atlanta PD trade in Glocks that looked like they had been skipped across an asphalt parking lot for $600 a while back before they went under. Brand new blue label glock at Jimmys is just over $400. No wonder they went bankrupt....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The overhead in a building like that must be tremendous.... I don't know how much of anything can be in business and compete with the internet that doesn't cost a little more to visit. Not defending, just making a observation. plus the folks that work there have to get paid. 2 cents.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Gander sux azz. Have been in there maybe 3 times never spent a cent. Everything in store is retail + 20% at least. Saw Atlanta PD trade in Glocks that looked like they had been skipped across an asphalt parking lot for $600 a while back before they went under. Brand new blue label glock at Jimmys is just over $400. No wonder they went bankrupt....

This right here is why I can't believe someone bought out the old owners and kept Gander in the name. I know people who lived by several different Gander Mountain store and they all had the same opinion of them. Your comments refer to the old owners and not how the new store is priced as of yet.

The new store has pretty fair prices for a brick and mortar store. Sure you can beat their prices online but that goes for any place in town. Some of the most opinionated members here have even given the new store their seal of approval:). I hope they make it but they don't seem to get the traffic that I would think they need. The used prices I saw this weekend were great but they were not available yet. Glock 43 with upgrades for $265. Ruger Super Redhawk with scope rings for $575. Prices like that will keep some people stopping in just to see if they can get a deal

I have no affiliation with the store but live nearby and like to kill time there occasionally

bigbirney

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good to know thanks. I'll check em out again and give em another shot since it's reopened.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The store is pro-veteran and 2A. The folks and mgmt seem nice.
    As for the policy, it's genius. Like a countdown to a sale, builds anticipation and brings in more people per/item than if simply placed in the display case and available immediately. (As long as you want that item).

Maybe the low price is a "loss leader". Gets 50 people to stop by with money to burn. One person gets a great price, and the store makes up the difference in 49 new customers and some purchases.

Heck, this is the second thread about their store in a few days.
    and now I'm waiting for OldMan to post a pic of his new G43 on Friday...

wvfatboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The owner of Gander made the statement that potential customers that are Trump supporters do not have to shop his stores. I for one will never set foot in any of their stores no matter what deal they may have. Same with Dicks Sporting goods. They disrespect our President and troops-the hell with them !

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The owner of Gander made the statement that potential customers that are Trump supporters do not have to shop his stores. I for one will never set foot in any of their stores no matter what deal they may have. Same with Dicks Sporting goods. They disrespect our President and troops-the hell with them !
    This is the old gander mountain that is gone. This new store is not related to the old policies etc...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "reason" for the delay in (prior to actual sale availability) is strange. I don't know of any lawful requirement to have LE run checks on every trade-in firearm. LE Agencies can review FFL/Pawn records if they want to but how can a Store/Company tell LE to run a check every trade in? It just doesn't add up.

You or I can check some stolen gun data bases in some States but we can't get a true Trace or LE to check gun histories for us. Is the Store paying the PD for this service or is the PD doing it in hopes of coming across stolen guns and nabbing the seller?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I don't like they show the date. It will cause an issue between 2 people at some point. Store would get more traffic if there were no dates. I know for one I'd go in more to see if I could scoop something up. With the date shown there is someone more willing than me to be there early or Sprint to the counter to claim it.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Florida statutes require pawn shops to submit all transaction forms for each days business directly to LE. Many counties have supplied the pawn shops with computers/software to make the process electronic.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used guns are put through a background check called LEEDS and it's required by law that they remain in control of the FFL that bought them until 15 business days have passed to make sure that the gun wasn't reported stolen or used in a crime. I'm on the fence about Gander Outdoors policy of putting it on the floor with an available date because I see it from both sides. It's a like/hate thing to me. I wouldn't be surprised if an employee doesn't just get there early and buy it before the store opens. Perks of working at a gun shop. Low pay but you get first dibs on deals.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Florida statutes require pawn shops to submit all transaction forms for each days business directly to LE. Many counties have supplied the pawn shops with computers/software to make the process electronic.

Your correct on the Pawn Statute and daily Pawn transaction record. It appliesplies to all goods taken in by the pawn shop. Also has the "30 day hold" period required after the Pawn acquires ownership rights; prior to being offered for sale. A Pawn shop may also do a NICS check on submission of a firearm for pawn. Pawn paper transaction records are exempt from the prohibition on retaining firearm transacton records

I think I found the reason for Ganders "30 day Hold". FL has Statutes that regulate "Secondhand Dealers", different than Pawn but almost the same transaction, hold and reporting requirements.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    It takes less than a minute for LE to run a serial number and find out if a gun is stolen or not. There is the "second hand dealer" reporting thing though.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    If you just put it out to lookout there is no hype. If you put a date on it there is the potential for multiple people to raid the counter. Customer will usually have a rage for losing so wastes money on a new one to feel like he won. Store wins twice by selling multiple guns just as the case with the g43

Top Bottom