• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I acquired a Chinese SKS, and on disassembly ran in an issue.

The firing pin retention pin would not push out like it should, but a little tapping got it out to clean the bolt and firing pin. I thought it was due to carbon and gunk build up.

When trying to reassemble, the pin is still not sliding in freely. I know I will have to replace the pin, or the bolt....but before ordering wanted to see if someone had a similar SKS and would mind seeing if my retention pin would fit their bolt, as I suspect the bolt has the issue from a close visual inspection.

I you can and are willing to help me out, shoot me a PM for contact number.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a non expert: I would "thin down" the pin until it had a good friction fit. Vise grips to hold it and moto tool sanding disc would make qiunk work of the issue.

Probably caused by min spec hole and max spec pin pressed/hammered in place. Had the same issue with a Sig 556 bolt years ago but sent the bolt to the factory for the pin fix.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks for the response. Reading it got me to thinking, how is this pin retained within the gun if it is easily pushed in. I saw that it would be protected by the bolt carrier, and wondered how many people have issues getting it in and out.

Seems the consensus is that it was not designed to be easily pressed out or in. Many folks say they will loosen up with routine cleaning, but still need to be tapped in as that is how it was designed to be.

Not an engineer, so I try not to second guess designers. Laid in on a block of wood and tapped it back in.

I did discover two neat things in researching the parts availability: 1) there is a company that has a kit to change the firing pin to the early Russian design using a return spring. 2) Tech Sights makes a tech sight T200 peep for the SKS!

Now I know what my next gun accessory purchase will be. LOL

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it tap out easily, I wouldn't mess with it. The one on my Sig withstood several blows with punch/hammer and didn't budge. The concept is that you should be able to break it down in tbe field with the Kit in the butt trap. Field tear down might not be a priority for your usage.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Clean the relative parts of the bolt and retaining pin and perhaps use a little blue loctite on it when you get done.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't agree with any type of "locktite" on these parts. Problem listed a pin being too tight and hard to remove. If too loose/sloppy: replace pin or field repair with dimple or burr

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks Jim, but I already tapped it back in and assembled for test shooting next range trip. I am leaning toward the spring returned firing pin solution, and that will fix the tight pin at the same time. I will worry about that after I install the Tech Sight T200 on it.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks Jim, but I already tapped it back in and assembled for test shooting next range trip. I am leaning toward the spring returned firing pin solution, and that will fix the tight pin at the same time. I will worry about that after I install the Tech Sight T200 on it.

let me know when your heading over to shoot, I may tag along if its okay.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Anytime Jim. I will let you know, likely be week after next before I can get back out there.

Top Bottom