• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He got both unlucky in that the bear charged him, and lucky in that he survived.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    On Chnl 3 news several nights ago,they did a piece on the Fla bear situation.
    They said that previously nuisance trapped bear were being released deep inside Eglin. NOW I guess the population is getting too dense,even for Eglin. Sooooooo . . . what they (FWC) now propose to do is release them inside Blackwater WMA.
    Well . . . the people that live in there are seriously fighting this. Then the reporter sez something like . . . the FWC is EVEN considering a very limited season on them with limited tag holders only.
    Jeeeeeeze . . . . ya think !! --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On Chnl 3 news several nights ago,they did a piece on the Fla bear situation.
    They said that previously nuisance trapped bear were being released deep inside Eglin. NOW I guess the population is getting too dense,even for Eglin. Sooooooo . . . what they (FWC) now propose to do is release them inside Blackwater WMA.
    Well . . . the people that live in there are seriously fighting this. Then the reporter sez something like . . . the FWC is EVEN considering a very limited season on them with limited tag holders only.
    Jeeeeeeze . . . . ya think !! --- SAWMAN
    Blackforest yes for bears I can see concern, but we already have bears running around Pace, navare, Fort Walton, etc. The bears being dumped in Eglin, if there food they will stay and if not they will leave.
    An escambia deputy that I know said they a black literally trek through Pensacola. It was thought he was looking for a mate. The Lower perdido forest has for many years had a huge bear population.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My buddy is surrounded on 3 sides by Apalachicola NF and he is eat up with them.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think they should give permits like they do with the alligator tags. But with x-amount of hunters in 1 given area and on different days. It'd give more hunters a chance to get a tag/bear, maybe do it for 1-day each. You get 1 day (legal hours) to get a bear, if not, so sorry. Then next person gets their chance, and so on...

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    At a briefing on-base on Hurlburt, maybe within a year or so, with FLFWC reps, they said if a bear is caught due to nuisance behavior because people left food out (trash cans, bird feeders, dog food, etc) they didn't relocate them: they euthanized the bear. Rep said the bear will either continue to be a nuisance in the new area, or will try to travel back to the original territory. The slogan on the brochures was something like "If you feed them, you're killing them". They refer to bird-feeders as "bear feeders".

Black bears supposedly have the temperament of a giant squirrel: playful and would rather avoid humans. But if taught that we are a source of food, they will override that natural caution/fear and close the gap.

My wife saw one in a tree in the parking lot of the WalGreens in Fort Walton Beach. Broad daylight; middle of town. Idiots we're bringing their kids up to the tree to see it. She told the manager as soon as she walked in, and they said they already called the police. When she left, she tried to caution one parent/kid but got a dose of attitude from the "adult". Idiots...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Problem with a bear hunt is this,like coyotes,you drive down the Eglin road,stop your truck,get out with your gun and go walking off into the woods . . . what are your chances of getting a shot at a bear ??? Virtually NONE.
    The bear must be baited or dogged. Now . . . how is FWC gonna handle that.
    IIRC during the last,extremely limited,bear hunt,there were an extremely limited amount of tags handed out,then they shut the hunt down early without about 1/3rd of the tags even being filled.
    It is the "sure there is a problem,but don't hurt 'em" kinda thing.
    Sadly,someone important will have to lose a small child before Fla. will even start to get serious. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom