• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Hoping to pick some of your brains here. I don't know much anything about pistols, except for what I don't like. I'm looking for a carry gun, mid size, not a subcompact. I don't like polymer frames, something about the weight doesn't sit right in my hands. I'd like a double stack 9mm with ambi controls since I'm a lefty. I've seen some berettas that fit the bill, but I seldom see them for sale or in my price range. I'm not looking to spend more than 500-600. Anyone got any idea of a pistol that fits the bill here? I know the price is probably my biggest issue, but it's all I'm budgeted for after holster and grip and sight upgrades. Thanks for any help or input.

StrangerDanger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best keep on saving for a little while longer. I don’t see those demands being met for that price unless you buy some heavily used beretta at a yard sale

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They come up every now and then in your price range. Berettas are awesome quality and relatively inexpensive if you find a use one. Definitely find one in your price range used.
    Some older w German Sig 226 can be found there too.
    Ruger p85, 89, 90 are bargains and tanks for guns. Imo you get a lot of pistol for the money with the Ruger P series.
    Good luck in your search!!

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    If you like the way 92's fit in your hand as I do than the 92S is worth a look. The Beretta 92S would fit in the category and price range your looking for. They are European Police (maybe Italian Police) trade in that have come to the US in quantity. These were carried a lot fired infrequently. Before coming to the US they were gone through by Beretta in Italy for function. Cosmetically they have holster wear but functionally they are a good bargain. The only draw back that some take issue with is the European magazine release. Unlike 92's made for the American market the mag release is to the rear of the butt on the lower left side of the frame. Not really a problem once you get familiar. They are built of the same quality and materials as the US military M9's. However, Military issue M9 magazines won't work because of the mag release placement but new 92 magazines have the lower cut out to lock and function properly. I think they can be gotten for not much more than $300-$350. You can see them in use on YouTube and judge for yourself. With your budget of $600 you can buy two of them.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the replies so far yall. I own a ruger P95 and P94, but they're just a bit larger than what I want to carry. If I were to step up my budget, what could you recommend? Steel frame, ambi controls, higher capacity, and 9mm.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a $600ish budget for a all steel double stack 9mm carry gun you have some good options out there.

Beretta 92FS/M9 if you dont mind carrying something that big. There are Beretta 92 compacts out there sometimes. You go down to 13+1 and shave some off the barrel length too.

Sig would be another way to go. 229 and the like. They can be found around the $600 range sometimes. 226 are more common if you dont mind carrying something that big.

I have a Beretta 8000 mini cougar which is very compact but kinda fat still. So short you can only find 10rd mags. These can be found local and even on GB for around $350-400.

Another alternative is the Stoeger series. Basically a copy of the Beretta Cougar made by one of Beretta's sub companies and made in Turkey. The compact version is a little longer than the Beretta mini cougar but your round count is increased to 13+1 in the Stoeger 8000 compact. These also can be found for as little as $300 on GB. They both use a rotating barrel firing system which is unique, accuarate, and reliable.

If you like surplus, Hi Powers are a fine choice if you increased your budget but there are more than a few Hi Power clones floating around as old military surplus. FEG and Israeli Kareem come to mind and can be bought for $300ish a couple of years ago when they flooded the us market. Mec Gar makes awesome aftermarket magazines for the Hi Powers with a 15rd capacity and super reliable. Only problem is you would have to instal the ambi safety yourself since they come standard for righties, but it is easy enough to do and the parts are pretty cheap.

So there are a few options, majority are going to be DA/SA except the SA hi powers. I prefer DA/SA for CCW myself, but thats just me.

Oh almost forgot, S&W series of older all steel pistols. 4509 or somthing, I do not know the nomenclature for the 9mm version. Police turn ins of these series have kept them at a fair market value too.

Anyway hope that helps.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I picked up a iwi Jericho compact(okay, okay. It’s a baby eagle) over the summer, nib for 399$. Fits a Glock 19 holster, 13 round mags, steel frame and ambidextrous safety/Decocker. I saw the EAA version in nickel at Pawn Shop two weeks ago listed for 350$ used.
    They also had a Steoger cougar, which is a beretta copy.
    Last smith and Wesson alloy frame I saw was a 469 for 299$. Ambidextrous safety, 12 round mag, if you find a 3rd gen they have dovetailed sights.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for all the info guys, especially that long write up Red. Looks like I've got a little research to do now.

Blackhawk 5

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look into SIG and CZ

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd look at Sig Sauer. I know it's not a double stack, but I've got a P6, which is basically a P225. The P6 has a heavy DA trigger, but the 225 has a lighter DA trigger. The 225 is higher in cost than what you budgeted, but kind of fits what you are looking for.

Also check out The P228, which is a double stack pistol, a smaller 226.

Then there is the P229. Another option that would be a decent choice as well.

Again, above your budget, but you can find used ones for decent prices. I currently own 3 Sigs, a full-size P320, Subcompact P320, and the P6. I've been happy with all of them. I've fired a 226, 220, and 225. All three were very accurate and easy to shoot and takedown. Holsters are plentiful and spare parts and mags are easy to obtain.

daehawc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd also suggest the cz 75 series. Those can be found in the price range and are great guns. I have the sp-01 with 19rd mags. Came with night sights, no need to upgrade those.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best deal right now that fits some of your specifications is a M&P 2.0 Compact... 15 round capacity, ampi safety, compact...it is polymer...if you want to go steel, then a CZ 75 compact is the one...I picked my S&W up new, after rebate for $325...can't beat that with a stick though I don't know if that rebate is still in effect. The CZ is going to run you 500-550 and I don't know if it has ampi safety or not.

The all steel construction and double stack specification with your price range is going to really narrow your selection. So many carry guns are polymer and only a few steel ones. Many, if not most, prefer light weight guns for carry so as not to drag your britches down! Especially for those who have grown a "bulge" in their mid section...to wear your pants above the bulge or below the bulge...that is the question!

Last edited:

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just curious. You say that the weight of a polymer gun does not feel right to you. Are you talking empty or with 15 rounds in the magazine. Percentage wise that changes things quite a bit. Not trying to argue, just trying to help.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve always found the weight arguement interesting. I can think of a couple alloy framed pistols that come close to a Glock 19 weight unloaded, and I’ve had a couple different poly framed pistols that weigh as much as a p229.

Right now my favorite semi auto is a 941 compact that’s 34 ounces unloaded. That’s as much as a beretta 92, and more than a hi power. Sounds terrible, right? Somehow I manage to carry it without loosing my shorts and the weight very much pays off when shooting. Handles almost as well as a k frame snub(which happens to weigh in around 30oz).

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just curious. You say that the weight of a polymer gun does not feel right to you. Are you talking empty or with 15 rounds in the magazine. Percentage wise that changes things quite a bit. Not trying to argue, just trying to help.

With a full mag. The poly guns I've handled just all felt underweight to me while shooting them. I don't have a very extensive list of the ones I have handled/shot, but there were a few glocks in the mix. They also just feel cheap to me. I know they're not, and that most of them are high quality guns, but it is what it is. I guess it's too much headache from dealing with cheap chinese plastic shit over the years that has me in that mindset.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    that is one of my pet pevs...ccc (cheap Chinese crap_)

i prefer steel, but some polymer guns have their place

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    that is one of my pet pevs...ccc (cheap Chinese crap_)

i prefer steel, but some polymer guns have their place

Yeah. I'm 6' tall, 240lbs with bear paws, and have going on 15 years in the oilfield. Not much out there that doesn't feel cheap and flimsy in my hands. I use 60" pipe wrenches to make up tools. I hammer on iron with a 15lb sledge constantly.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Top Bottom