• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If the standard sized 92 grip is "too tall" for your concealed carry needs, that's where the 92 Compact might be better-suited. They have variants with rails, or in Inox (brushed stainless steel). If you like that platform, there should be a flavor that fits. There are some after-market mods/ways to squeeze some more accuracy out of them, too. You'd get happily lost in the reading on that Beretta Forum...
    Best of luck!

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sounds like the M9/92FS will fit ya real nice. I recently became a fan. I used to hate the M9 as my only exposure to it was it was my issued sidearm for quite a few years. I despised the weight to it and at the time the 15rd capacity. Now that I can appreciate the trials it survived to win the contract plus Mec Gar offering flush fit 18rd magazines, I have become a believer.
    They can also be easily tuned and customized by the user if your inclined. Cool platform and can usually be found cheaper than comparable Glocks.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If the standard sized 92 grip is "too tall" for your concealed carry needs, that's where the 92 Compact might be better-suited. They have variants with rails, or in Inox (brushed stainless steel). If you like that platform, there should be a flavor that fits. There are some after-market mods/ways to squeeze some more accuracy out of them, too. You'd get happily lost in the reading on that Beretta Forum...
    Best of luck!

Oh buddy. I'm already neck deep in mods and info and I don't even own the damn thing yet. HaH! I worked 8 days straight, 24hrs a day this past hitch so now I have a little extra spending money from the extra day bonuses I get. I usually only work 21 days at 12 hours a day. Those 24s added up. I'm hoping to acquire a 96 and see how I like the platform. From there I'll look into carry options. Either way, I'll have another pistol to add to the safe in my growing .40 collection. From my research so far and the fact that they're metal frame, larger on the grip size, and good enough for the Vatican and our troops to use, I'd say it's a stellar firearm. Thanks again from all of you for the input. It's helped tremendously.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    S&W 3rd gens...the 5900 series has full-size frames with 15-rd mags. Most famous being the 5906.
    The 6900 series is a compact with double-stack 13-rd mags. It's an inch shorter...lol
    The cute thing nobody tells ya is that if it has a single safety switch, as some models were sent out per whoever bought them's request, it's relatively easy to order the other side & install it.
    S&W Forums has the whole breakdown with pics in the 3rd gen section.

Ask the guy at Tradewinds gun shop in the Midway area, right across from the Camping USA RV sales.
    He's probably got at least 2-3 in the back, if you don't see them on the shelves.
    The place literally can't put all it's guns on the shelf, he's got safes full and keeps track of it all on his computer, so if you don't see something you want, ASK!!! It's just in one of many safes...lol

Also...and what really sounds perfect for your application,
    Star model 243, AKA the Firestar Plus. 15-rd or 10-rd mags, uses S&W 5900-series mags as well if you drill a mag catch hole.
    Looks kind of like a Hi-Power, but has a few more modern features ;)
    star m243 firestar plus.jpg

GEDC0019.JPG

Serial Hidden.JPG

The 243 also conceals VERY well, the design is a full size, but it's a compact full size, if ya get my drift...the way they made it and set up the grips makes it thinner than average for a double-stack. Lots of folks love these little rascals, and they've not very expensive (around $350 for nice, lightly used ones these days)

Attachments

• star m243 firestar plus.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 158
    • GEDC0019.JPG
      GEDC0019.JPG
      996.2 KB · Views: 142
    • Serial Hidden.JPG
      Serial Hidden.JPG
      841.6 KB · Views: 145
    Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    And if ya'd like to try a Star 243, PM me, I plan to be at the range Fri or Sat :)

Thanks. I'm liking the look of those stars. Do you know if the mag release is reversible for left handed operation? Will be doing a little research on those guns now.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no idea on that, I'll have to look :)
    Wouldn't surprise me if it did, the Firestar line
    tended towards ease of operation and exchange.

You can also slap a .40-S&W Star M40 barrel/slide on it,
    use the .40-S&W mags for sale online...
    OR reportedly, using the same M243 9mm mags, fill 'em with .40 :D

The Star M40 & M43 exchanged everything except
    recoil springs and barrels. All the same parts.
    One of the few mfr's who ever managed to make
    mags that could accept 9mm or .40-S&W
    and actually WORK as intended :)

They even used the exact same SLIDE on the M40, M43, & M243!!
    (Which they could do since they made the 9mm barrel extra fat)
    There was supposed to be a M240, but for some odd reason they
    never officially made them...made a bunch of the mags, but never
    had a designated production M240 before they closed unexpectedly
    in 1995, go figure...

S&W connection...
    both the M243 and the M30 can use S&W 5900 series mags.
    One just has to either hold 'em in from below, OR
    drill a mag catch hole in the 5906 mags :)
    And Jay's in Crestview happens to have a few of
    those mags on hand in their STAR mag container!

Also, the S&W CS45 and STAR M45 exchange mags as well,
    also holding from below, or drilling mag catch holes.
    GEDC0001.JPG

Attachments

• GEDC0001.JPG
      GEDC0001.JPG
      613.3 KB · Views: 74
    • star m243 firestar plus.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 82
    Last edited:

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I'm a fan of metal guns as well and a lefty. I have a couple CZ's but not for carry. Last year I came across a great deal on a Sig 320 compact with a dot (not subcompact). It is my first Sig. It is polymer framed, but it fits the hand fully and is a double stack. I like the idea of having 14 rounds. Might be worth a look. I have always been a S&W guy. The grip of the M&P fits my hand great. The m&p 9c is a nice double stack for carry IMHO. Good luck. If you would like to try the Sig or the m&p 9c hit me up.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a wrong handed friend, and he just drops mags with his index finger. Doesn’t have to shift his grip or anything, I’ve thought about trying it myself

Latest posts

Top Bottom