• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What do you use in your gun safe to fight the humidity? Thank you in advance for any responses.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use the next size up (E-500) Eva-Dry in mine on the top shelf and a Golden Rod at the bottom.

I had no idea Peet made safe dehumidifiers too. I use their shoe dryer and the attachment that dries back pack bladders.

Last edited:

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My gun safe is inside and in air conditioning...and we run a dehumidifier in the house 90% of the time during the high humidity periods...and for various reasons, I am very in tune with humidity so I don't need a barometer to tell me its humid. I have a bag of wood chips in it...see below.

In addition, in my storage exposed to more humidity, I save the various desiccants commonly found in prescription medication, electronics or other stuff you buy...you know the sila gel packs...those work too. A bag of wood chips dried out in an oven or microwave in a cloth (air permeable) bag works as a poor man's desiccant...just periodically dry it out in the oven/microwave and replace if you get the chips so hot they burn...super heating wood harms the ability to take on and give off water.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ah, yea, thanks for pointing out that that's the small one.

Didn't mean anything by it.

the E333 will protect up to 300 cubic ft for $24.95 and the E500 will protect up to 500 cubic ft for $29.95 from prices on their site. They both protect but you won't have to recharge the 500 as often...then the 333 takes up less room...it's all about compromise :D

They also make large rechargeable desiccant bags that aren't that expensive. I sell both of these products in my shop.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Didn't mean anything by it.

the E333 will protect up to 300 cubic ft for $24.95 and the E500 will protect up to 500 cubic ft for $29.95 from prices on their site. They both protect but you won't have to recharge the 500 as often...then the 333 takes up less room...it's all about compromise :D

They also make large rechargeable desiccant bags that aren't that expensive. I sell both of these products in my shop.

No, no.....no worries:

I have the small one in my small safe and the large ones in my large safes.... I keep one large one on an outlet charging...and cycle fresh ones into all the large safes....every few days...

But the small safe has the little dehumidifier, so its on its own single rotation. I keep meaning to get a large one for the little safe so they can all share the same rotation, but I never get around to it.

When I saw this thread, I added the one TJ linked to my amazon cart, not realizing it was the little one. What I really want is another large one, so they're all the same. So that's why I said I was glad that you pointed that out.

And at the end of the day, as you also pointed out, there is only 5 dollars difference between the 2 sizes.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the Eva-Dry E-333 in my safe, and I also keep one of those oblong-ish shaped containers of Damp Rid in it too for good measure.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second the use of DampRid, been using it for decades. I put it on the safe floor, tucked back under the scopes of long guns. Frequency to dump accumulated water and replace crystals will vary with your humidity level and how often you access the safe allowing more moist air to enter. You can seal over open and used mount or power holes and check door seal also ro reduce static airflow. I use the black factory strainer/crystal basket but added a larger water catch container. I collect about a 1.5 pints of water in 60 days. No periods of "plug-in" drying time, how much water di the actually retain? Lol.

Second part of storage is a wipe down with RIG gun grease applied with a RIG Rag (sheep skin with wool on). Wipe off GSR/Carbon with another rag to keep sheepskin applicator clean. Place a dab (it goes a long way) of the grease sheepskin and work it into the Rag, then wipe down exposed metal parts. The great thing is it wips off really easy! How often do we put a gun in the safe with plans for it in a few days but it ends up sitting much longer? Rig-em all as they go in.

https://damprid.com/how-damprid-works/

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank ya'll. I always learn here. Currently I have just the desiccant bags from other purchases tossed in there. We use damp rid in other areas of the house but I was unsure of using it in the safe. Like the thought of two or three different measures so I will have layers of protection (at least in theory). Anyone use gun socks? I have one on the Garand and it seems to have done an outstanding job of protecting against nicks etc.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A "sock", sleeve or case will protect against minor bump, nick, scratch damage. If the Sock is not treated, it could absorb moisture and if treated it can hold it in (think of your gun as a cold drink exposed to a warm environment). I'm not a fan of socks/sleeves or cases for long term storage.

I also avoid gun/scope metal contact with internal safe carpeting as it may retain moisture including synthetics (between the fibers). I put a piece of plastic between these contact points.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I put a Damp Rid in my motor home and it helps in it. That "everythings a dollar" store here in Crestview has them occasionally for a dollar. They are the little oblong ones but they work fine.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A "sock", sleeve or case will protect against minor bump, nick, scratch damage. If the Sock is not treated, it could absorb moisture and if treated it can hold it in (think of your gun as a cold drink exposed to a warm environment). I'm not a fan of socks/sleeves or cases for long term storage.

I also avoid gun/scope metal contact with internal safe carpeting as it may retain moisture including synthetics (between the fibers). I put a piece of plastic between these contact points.

Thanks. I will reevaluate this. It was in a sock inside a zippered rifle case.

Top Bottom